September 17, 2014, 08:07:41 PM

Author Topic: What's Next? Lenses & Cameras  (Read 20297 times)

Ziggy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next? Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
What about the 200-400 f4 with converter.  Can we get this lens out of Africa, please

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »

chabotc

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
What you're saying is: this is going to be an expensive year :)

Looking forward to all the new goodies, already pre-ordered the new 24-70 II, and can't wait to pre-order the 1D X - lots of fun stuff happening already and by the sound of things 'we've only just begun'
Canon 5D Mark III and a big bag of primes

anthros

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »

As for the mega pixel monster, I think it is going get a smaller number in front of the D, it might be 2, 3 or 4. Since 3D might be misleading <snip>  my bets are on 4D. The smaller the number, the pricier. And if it really is the 4k cinema camera, 4D makes sense.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll see a camera called a 4D. The number 4 is strongly associated with death in many Asian cultures, including that of Japan. When I worked in Hong Kong, my hotel didn't have a 4th floor; the button panel in the elevator went 1-2-3-5-6[...] It's a lot like the number 13 in the US.

I suspect "3D" or maybe "1DSX" are more likely candidates. But does it really matter what Canon calls the camera? The photos I take with my 7D wouldn't look any worse (or better) if Canon instead named it the Barbie Super-Fun Photo Cam.

Jason

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
What about the 200-400 f4 with converter.  Can we get this lens out of Africa, please

For probably 10k or so, it can stay there.  :)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I will say I have heard there will be a very high megapixel camera some time in 2012, possibly in the 40mp range and it won’t be the “5D Mark III”.

My bets are on this being the EOS-C, the 4K video DSLR that uses the same paradigms as the C300.

Also, since Canon never price their equipment the same as Nikon, expect a DSLR to be between Nikon's D4 and D800 ($3000-$6000) and one under it.

A successor to the 5D MarkII would seem likely in the $2000-$2800 price range.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »

As for the mega pixel monster, I think it is going get a smaller number in front of the D, it might be 2, 3 or 4. Since 3D might be misleading <snip>  my bets are on 4D. The smaller the number, the pricier. And if it really is the 4k cinema camera, 4D makes sense.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll see a camera called a 4D. The number 4 is strongly associated with death in many Asian cultures, including that of Japan. When I worked in Hong Kong, my hotel didn't have a 4th floor; the button panel in the elevator went 1-2-3-5-6[...] It's a lot like the number 13 in the US.

I suspect "3D" or maybe "1DSX" are more likely candidates. But does it really matter what Canon calls the camera? The photos I take with my 7D wouldn't look any worse (or better) if Canon instead named it the Barbie Super-Fun Photo Cam.

Jason

interesting thing. i guess 3D will be then. but i was hoping for a cheaper FF camera than the 5D but doesn't seem like it.. hope the 5D3 wont be a big different price from mk2.

BJNY

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
1.) I think that there will be one high mpx camera + I assume it will be the 4K with RAW video (which was also patented). It will be low fps, fewer AF points, video and studio focused camera. This could be 4000-4500 USD.

Why would Canon offer a 4K 40mpx camera for $4-5,000
when they just began selling their C300 for $16,000 ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
Why would Canon offer a 4K 40mpx camera for $4-5,000
when they just began selling their C300 for $16,000 ?

These are just my thoughts ;) You are right in this case of C300, I've forgotten about it. But as I stated before, there is market for 40 mpx camera aimed for studio/landscape and video. Maybe just FHD.

Thank you for correction ;)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

Maestro

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »
I´m sorry if things i said was upsetting to some, the thing is that i´m a very realistic person. I´m not a certain brand fanatic, though Canon is my first choice. The Nikon D800 has the same AF and metering system as the D4. 36mp and probably the best video from a dslr today. I have no doubts in my mind that Canon can make a camera just as good. But they need to hurry, they have to give us something to look forward to, not today not tomorrow, but yesterday. The sad part is that i know for a fact that a lot of people selling their canon gear and the reason is "swithing system" that´s what it says in their ads. Many doubt that Canon can match the D800. As we speak more and more are having thoughts of going to the other side. Canon should not take the D800 lightly. It´s just one camera, but it could destroy the Canon sales if Canon fails to reply right now! Show who´s boss. I always think realistic! Right now Canon is in a lot of trouble.

phischeye

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

That's very interesting, thank you for pointing that out. So what about all those f/4 lenses? Just kidding.

jwphotography

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
I can tell you this much for sure....  Canon WILL have a 36+ MP camera this year.  Canon won't concede the MP race to Nikon.  It may not be a 5D3/X, but there will be a high MP monster.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's one without the AA filter like the D800E.  That was no big surprise.

The question is, how will the current line of lenses fare under 36+ MP scrutiny?  Not very well I think.  That's why we are going to see a lot of new lenses.

I don't really get the new primes.  f/2.8 isn't very fast, and IS isn't as needed at such short focal lengths.  The 24-70 f/2.8L has always served my needs well enough.  When it doesn't, that's what the f/1.4 primes are for.   I just don't see the benefit of an f/2.8 prime unless it's TONS sharper than the fast zooms.  Just my $.02.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »

So...4D is a no-no, but D4, that's fine?  As was pointed out by someone else in another thread...if the number 4 is such a stigma in Japan, why did Nikon release a D4?  They are also a Japanese company...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

macfly

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
But funnily enough the the Nikon F4 was the camera that sent Nikon into a decline, and made all of us old enough to remember swap over to Canon, so for Nikon the 4 was unlucky one already, and this new one has just been delayed with firmware glitches too!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:04:55 PM by macfly »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

Jason

So, what about the 1DMkIV? I maybe wrong, but I do not consider it as very likely not to produce a 4D. Let's get serious: Does any worker at Canon refuse to work on a 4th every month?  8) Nothing intended, just don't take anything of that without a good grain of salt. I once experienced something here in switzerland. I bought some trousers. But the had to tailor it back to my leg length. So the seller said: I have just one question, Sir. Do you mind if we prepare them for the 13th? I said, no. And asked her back: I guess you don't deny your thirteenth salary at the end of year either (swiss workers receive a thirteenth salaray by xmas). So she was puzzled for a moment and stuttered: Of course not! You are absolutely right!  8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
I´m sorry if things i said was upsetting to some, the thing is that i´m a very realistic person. I´m not a certain brand fanatic, though Canon is my first choice. The Nikon D800 has the same AF and metering system as the D4. 36mp and probably the best video from a dslr today. I have no doubts in my mind that Canon can make a camera just as good. But they need to hurry, they have to give us something to look forward to, not today not tomorrow, but yesterday. The sad part is that i know for a fact that a lot of people selling their canon gear and the reason is "swithing system" that´s what it says in their ads. Many doubt that Canon can match the D800. As we speak more and more are having thoughts of going to the other side. Canon should not take the D800 lightly. It´s just one camera, but it could destroy the Canon sales if Canon fails to reply right now! Show who´s boss. I always think realistic! Right now Canon is in a lot of trouble.

Well I checked eBay and other places, and have not seen a huge uptick in people dumping Canon.  Wouldn't mind it, because a flood of lenses will help me round out my needs.

Video is nice, but fro me I am more concerned with pictures.  Have not shot more than a minute of video on my 5D MK II.  To some this is huge, to me... meh.

As I have stated... Better to produce a camera that is at the top and remains for years, than to win the initial sprint and then be fore ever behind.

So when Canon does make their moves later this year as expected, and if... nothing says it will be... but IF their specs and performance are better than Nikons, then what... Maybe all these people who panicked will be screaming on the Nikon boards... HEY we need the D850... Canon's new camera shoots 40MP and ours is only 36...   They have 61 AF points and ours is only 51... They are native 12800 ISO and ours only 6400...

When will Nikon produce a decent camera... They have to respond yesterday....

Maybe they can boost the ISO to 256,000 with firmware...

NIKON??? Are you listening...

Opps... Forgot to mention... As one can see from Nikon's customer service ranking... they don't... http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Nikon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »