June 21, 2018, 10:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.  (Read 41988 times)

thepancakeman

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Re: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »
I cant believe that people are getting ready to jump ship when neither body has had a full review and neither is shipping.

OK - talk through this scenario then:

One buys the D4 and loses a whole bunch of money on the lens etc

A month later the 1DX is reviewed and shown to be hands down better than the D4

What would you do next?

- go back to Canon and lose more money?
    - suffer an inferior product for the next 2 or 3 years until the replacements are announced?

I agree, when you're talking about the 1DX vs. the D4.  But as Neuro pointed out elsewhere, if you're comparing the D800 to....?  The 5D Mk II?  Canon needs to have some sort of announcement before that thing starts shipping or we're stuck waiting for a body that might never arrive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
I cant believe that people are getting ready to jump ship when neither body has had a full review and neither is shipping.

What would you do next?

- suffer an inferior product for the next 2 or 3 years until the replacements are announced?

I agree, when you're talking about the 1DX vs. the D4.  But as Neuro pointed out elsewhere, if you're comparing the D800 to....?  The 5D Mk II?  Canon needs to have some sort of announcement before that thing starts shipping or we're stuck waiting for a body that might never arrive.

The same argument applies - if you have a 5DII do you NEED to move in the next couple of months or can you wait patiently to see what happens for a couple of months? Making the wrong decision based on short term desire might cost a lot more than waiting

thepancakeman

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »

What would you do next?

The same argument applies - if you have a 5DII do you NEED to move in the next couple of months or can you wait patiently to see what happens for a couple of months? Making the wrong decision based on short term desire might cost a lot more than waiting

Sorta.  But how long do you wait?  People have been expecting the Mk III to appear any minute now for at least a year.  So yeah, we would HOPE that something is coming soon, but there by no means a guarantee.  That's why I think Canon needs to at least announce something soon or people are just going to be too tired of the waiting.

RuneL

• EOS M5
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
Whatever we do we will "lose". Something better will always come along. It makes little to no sense speculating in what will be released and when. 6 months later something better will be available regardless of what you do.

Buy, enjoy, don't get upset. They make money from us.

briansquibb

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »

Sorta.  But how long do you wait?  People have been expecting the Mk III to appear any minute now for at least a year.  So yeah, we would HOPE that something is coming soon, but there by no means a guarantee.  That's why I think Canon needs to at least announce something soon or people are just going to be too tired of the waiting.

I would wait until I need to change not because I would like to change.

I bought a used 1Ds3 as a tactical purchase as an upgrade for my 5D2 - series 1 waterproofing, Af and 5fps etc. Only limitation is the max iso 3200 - which for me is not an issue. In return I have much better pictures coming through.

I dont claim that Nikon is better than Canon or Canon is better than Nikon. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

When I bought my 5D2 the only camera that gave a better IQ was the 1Ds3. That is still the case I believe, that is until the latest generation overtake them - but we have no reviews yet that verifies that

I believe that the quality of an image is more than mps - so mps on their own dont excite me unless there is insufficient to get a top A2 image - which 21mp gets.

The cameras dont get worse as they get older - the 5DII is still giving the same top IQ as it did 2 years ago. That was good enough then and is good enough now (although I prefer the 1Ds3 colors).

To improve the IQ of the images the manufacturers need to get the image better than the best film - which has not happened because of he limited dynamic range from digital sensors.

In my usual way here is  a pretty picture from the 1Ds3 which I took today

1Ds3, 70-200II@102, iso400, f/4.5, 1/100

thepancakeman

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »

Gotcha this time!  Unless you're putting bread on the table and a roof over your head with your photography, you don't need to take pictures.  We do it because it's fun, rewarding, self-expressive, etc,  but us non-pros don't need a camera at all.   ::) 

So whether it's a want for better AF, more MP, or simply something that doesn't have scuff marks on it, there are plenty of consumers looking for a new camera right now.  As RuneL points out, there is always something theoretically better just on the horizon, so waiting for the next great thing can be a never ending process.

If it just weren't for the investment in the dang glass, it'd be easy to be more brand agnostic and go with whatever seems good when I want a new camera.   ;)

briansquibb

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »

Gotcha this time!  Unless you're putting bread on the table and a roof over your head with your photography, you don't need to take pictures.  We do it because it's fun, rewarding, self-expressive, etc,  but us non-pros don't need a camera at all.   ::) 

So whether it's a want for better AF, more MP, or simply something that doesn't have scuff marks on it, there are plenty of consumers looking for a new camera right now.  As RuneL points out, there is always something theoretically better just on the horizon, so waiting for the next great thing can be a never ending process.

If it just weren't for the investment in the dang glass, it'd be easy to be more brand agnostic and go with whatever seems good when I want a new camera.   ;)

'If it just weren't for the investment in the dang glass, it'd be easy to be more brand agnostic '

If the finance is not a deal breaker then switching brands is not an issue.

As we are talking about top of the range then there is a strong likelyhood that there is a significant invesment in glass and other brand specific extras which increase the probability of financial influence on changing brands.

Each individual has their own perceived wants and needs.

I am just suggesting that before jumping to stop and consider  the needs (as defined by themselves - even a scuff becomes a need for some).

However a brand new technology D800 will always look sweet against a four year 5DII. To wait until the D800 has been reviewed might well be a prudent minimum wait time.

We are talking top of range here so there are other tactical options available if the need to upgrade is needed (like a 7D/5DII?) from a consumer body

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »