June 19, 2018, 08:12:39 PM

Author Topic: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.  (Read 41963 times)

Canon-F1

Re: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
I have been extremely disappointed with Canon lately. I have been waiting for the 5DMKIII that never comes. And the 24-70 was updated yesterday without IS and a huge price tag.

Plus, the Nikon D800 was announced yesterday with a very affordable price tag. I doubt the new 5DMKIII will beat the specs of the D800. Nikon also has the better wide angle zooms. Question I ask myself is why am I still with Canon?

And dont smite me on this, Im a canon fan. Just that I think Canon is out of touch with the present reality.

who cares.....

you think we do care if u don't care....

learn to quote....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
i mean can´t people post such stuff on facebook?

+1

ghosh9691

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
So disappointed with Canon! I am going to sell all my Canon gear this month and buy the Nikon D800 and lenses!!!

...and in a few months, when the Canon 5D Mark Next comes out, I will be disappointed with Nikon and sell all of my Nikon gear and buy Canon!!!

And, it's easy! Ken Rockwell shows you exactly how to afford stuff ;D

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:25:25 PM by ghosh9691 »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
why can't people post negative things about canon on this forum?
Because it's arrogant of you - and of anyone else who posts along the same lines (guess what? You're saying nothing new) - to assume that anyone else really cares about your personal problems with Canon...

And it's not for the fanboys to try to silence any comments other than Canon is the greatest company on Earth and all of their plans are perfect and all of their equipment is without any flaw?

Plus, if all Canon marketing sees is Wow, WOW they are giving us .2fps more and 1 extra half-cross point for AF for $2000 increase on the new body and yay it still has tons of low ISO banding and 2-3 stops less DR than Nikon yay! I will buy ten copies! Then maybe that is all we will ever get and by the time the D900 comes around Canon will look three generations out of touch, which would be a shame because I like their (Canon's) UI a lot better and, for now at least, some of their lens options better.

By smiting anyone who points out anything you are shooting yourselves in the foot. Unless people way slam them to an, OK, perhaps annoying degree, Canon will never ever ever remotely begin to listen.

Plus a post with a title like this, what did you expect? It's fine to not want to waste time on threads like this if you don't want to, nothing remotely wrong with that, but the title made it clear what it was going to be.

That said, I actually think the new 24-70 II looks potentially very impressive. The MTF charts look out of this world. Of course it remains to see if reality matches, but certainly you can't write that lens off at this point in time.

bycostello

• EOS 5DS R
    • London Weddings
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
i'd not worry too much about all the bells and whistles, the camera is just the tool, you are the photographer...

ghosh9691

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
i'd not worry too much about all the bells and whistles, the camera is just the tool, you are the photographer...

I think you got that the wrong way around, mate! The camera is the photographer, the human is just the tool that manufacturers use to produce and sell new bodies the announcement of which cause internet flame wars! ;)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »

Yes, but if you are shooting certain sorts of things 1 fps vs 8fps or terrible 1 pt vs. fantastic multi-point AF can make a very real difference. Sure, even with a body with not much too it and an old sensor you can make some really amazing photos, top rate stuff, maybe better than anything someone with the fanciest body has taken, but you are more constrained as to the types of truly top rate stuff you can reasonably consistently, or even at all, shoot. And don't forget that someone with a top body might also have a very good eye and great skills too. And some people who go on about tech specs have had much more impressive and wide ranging galleries than some of the very same people laughing at them and telling them to go out and shoot (of course the reverse is true too, I'm just saying don't assume too much).

Anyway smite away. I dared mention that some technical detail might occasionally help some actual real life photographer who does go out and shoot and that every item from Canon is not perfect. Horrors.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:38:53 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »

japhoto

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »
I've jumped ships once, coming from Olympus to Canon.

I'd like to think that it was for a reason because the E-5 is essentially the last 4/3rds camera ever to be announced. So what I did was to make the switch before the investment lost its value completely.

This is not the case with Canon though and especially when there's more stuff on the pipeline which can be announced quite fast now after Nikon has unveiled the D800. Which by the way isn't cheap or affordable, even though you probably get a lot for the money. I still wouldn't call a 3k camera body cheap...

What comes to Canon being out of touch, definitely goes for Nikon as well.

Canon with their unbelievably long announcement to availability times (although with probably a few good reasons), not willing to implement IS to the 24-70II (not listening to the user base) and bumping up the prices for new lenses and bodies to realms which can not be reached in this economy by most.

Nikon on the other hand has good products and let's face it, has been riding them for far too long. And now it seems that the beast has finally been let loose, but at least with the D800 it seems to have gone overboard. First saying that 12Mp is enough for any man and then going to 36Mp. I can't really understand the reasoning behind it.

It seems that they have gone from the D700, which in today's standards is a niche product due being so old and low Mp to a new really niche product with the D800. I've seen the sample photos (yes, jpg) and I'm not too impressed. Especially when the photos seem to be affected by diffraction quite a bit.

The bump in Mp opens several cans of worms in my opinion (diffraction being only one of them). Firstly their glass is good, but I don't think it's medium format good. Secondly to get good results with the D800 probably needs shooting techniques similar to medium or large format photography. I don't think that goes well with people who have been used to shooting like one shoots with a 35mm camera. On top of that there's probably more noise to be dealt with and yes, the files can get quite large both in camera memory cards and in computers. It wouldn't be bad if the floods wouldn't have affected the hard-drive industry so badly as well.

I don't feel envious for Nikon people, since now they have nowhere to run. If you've been shooting with the D300/s, you can get the D700 which is full frame, but still 12Mp. Same goes for getting a second hand D3/s. The D4 is probably too expensive and the D800 is ridiculous with three times the resolution and forcing you to shoot very differently. The D400 is an interesting thing if and when they come out with it, but for FF people, it's probably a no-go because of the APS-C sensor.

My fear and gripe with Canon and the coming releases is that they really have too strong product lines that they go by. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I'm not seeing the 5D successor to get much better AF or much better weather sealing (or build quality in general) for that matter. The D800 might have gone overboard, but it might still be a better all-rounder than Canon will ever produce. For people like me who shoot pretty much anything, it always seems that if you're not rocking the 1D/s - series, there's always a compromise to be made with the body choice. And even the 1D/s series won't remove that compromise since there's more bulk, weight and most importantly an intolerable price tag to go along with those bodies.

Just my 0.02$ about this matter, but conversation is always interesting so do reply if you want.

fussy III

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »

The D800 might have gone overboard, but it might still be a better all-rounder than Canon will ever produce. For people like me who shoot pretty much anything, it always seems that if you're not rocking the 1D/s - series, there's always a compromise to be made with the body choice. And even the 1D/s series won't remove that compromise since there's more bulk, weight and most importantly an intolerable price tag to go along with those bodies.

I agree precisely. The finest conclusion would be to put something on the market like the D3x with 7fps in the Body of the D800 with the label "Canon" written on it.

If this would have been the configurations for a non-over-the top-Nikon, you'd see me switching after the realease of the 5D III, who will probably either focus slow or imprecise like the 7D.

I have been missing the accuracy of the AI Servo of my EOS 3 and EOS1n for years now in bodies like 20D, 5D II or 7D. Buying a used 1Ds III for three grants in order to make up for AF-deficiencies of the (digital) past seems like a plan of the past, especially when looking at what the D800 already has to offer for the price.

D800? - Maybe over the top, but TOP anyway.

That is just so ...

Astro

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2012, 01:55:10 PM »
one thing is sure.. canon does not have such experts as we have here on this forum!!

they all know exactly what THEY need.. but none of them knows what most customers want or need.   :P

still they repeat the same subjectiv BS over and over and over and over and ov...  as anyone beside themself is interested in their opinion.  ::)

stilscream

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
I repeat...ONLY 40MP?? damn, that'd be disappointing. I wanted to crop my 24mm to the equivalent of a 600mm lens. If Canon doesn't release a 57MP or higher by March I am switching to Vivitar!
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

japhoto

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »

The D800 might have gone overboard, but it might still be a better all-rounder than Canon will ever produce. For people like me who shoot pretty much anything, it always seems that if you're not rocking the 1D/s - series, there's always a compromise to be made with the body choice. And even the 1D/s series won't remove that compromise since there's more bulk, weight and most importantly an intolerable price tag to go along with those bodies.

I agree precisely. The finest conclusion would be to put something on the market like the D3x with 7fps in the Body of the D800 with the label "Canon" written on it.

If this would have been the configurations for a non-over-the top-Nikon, you'd see me switching after the realease of the 5D III, who will probably either focus slow or imprecise like the 7D.

I have been missing the accuracy of the AI Servo of my EOS 3 and EOS1n for years now in bodies like 20D, 5D II or 7D. Buying a used 1Ds III for three grants in order to make up for AF-deficiencies of the (digital) past seems like a plan of the past, especially when looking at what the D800 already has to offer for the price.

D800? - Maybe over the top, but TOP anyway.

That is just so ...

I'd take a 3Dx innards, 7fps, Canon written on it with a 1D/D3 type body, BUT with a price tag of about 2k€. One can dream though...

I've actually been contemplating about getting a 1Ds MkII, price isn't bad, 16Mp is sufficient, AF is good, weather sealing is good, it's a full frame camera etc. There are a few issues with it though, where to get a mint body at this stage being one, the LCD being pretty much rubbish and old battery technology, but even with those things said, I'm still considering it as a second body to my 7D (which has imprecise AF like you said).

japhoto

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
one thing is sure.. canon does not have such experts as we have here on this forum!!

they all know exactly what THEY need.. but none of them knows what most customers want or need.   :P

still they repeat the same subjectiv BS over and over and over and over and ov...  as anyone beside themself is interested in their opinion.  ::)

Was this directed to my post above or just generally to everyone who has posted their opinion?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
I repeat...ONLY 40MP?? damn, that'd be disappointing. I wanted to crop my 24mm to the equivalent of a 600mm lens. If Canon doesn't release a 57MP or higher by March I am switching to Vivitar!

Vivitar?  I was thinking Olympus myself but to each their own haha  +1
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

TexPhoto

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »
why can't people post negative things about canon on this forum? Im not slating canon, only to voice my disappointment. You sir seems to be rather narrow minded about your brand.

They can and do all the time. There are countless posts on topics like the 5DII's AF sucking, and more lately about the D800 being the canon killer.  Why can't someone else respond to your post with their opinion? 

I have had it with this forum, I am switching to VivitarRumors.com!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »