May 22, 2018, 12:25:10 PM

Author Topic: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.  (Read 41470 times)

RuneL

• EOS M5
Re: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »
These complaints... I've said "I'll switch" but only in anger when my product suddenly didn't work properly or in frustration over noise levels that Nikon seem to master but Canon doesn't quite, or when the IR-triggers in my 580EX IIs for the trillionth time won't fire the flashes because there is a dash of sunligt, a light shower or it's a tuesday. But I'm happy. I can shoot images at 6500 ISO that work perfectly well and get no ill remarks from customers. I bought the product, I register my complaints over what I find lacking in the camera with Canon. That's all I can do. And it's a pretty bloody good camera. Also, I've had a lot of my fellow photographers whine over the D800 saying they won't buy it simple because the MP-count is stupidly high. So each to their own - ok? So, switch, if nikon suits you. In two years you'll be over at NR posting  Re: Latest Nikon disappoints wants me to switch over to Canon.

A lot of people are raging about IS. Why? Why do you need it, why do you need it on the 16-35 2.8L a lens I'm perfectly capable at shooting sharp, non blurred images at ridiculous low shutter speeds with? Use mirror lock up or "STEALTH MODE" if it's a huge problem. Or get the EFS 17-85 IS??

IS is very very neat on teles, but I've managed fine without IS on my 70-200, but I think the demand for it has just reached crazy hights, also remember that a lot of us shoot stuff that moves, where IS just doesn't do jack S____. I don't need extra electronics bits that can break and I certainly don't need IS on wide angles. Maybe, just maybe the 24-70 would be neat with IS, but it's nothing that would keep me from buying it. Second, if you need IS in that focal range get the 24-105 IS? You get 35mm extra and at a lower cost too.

Also, products have a life cycle, not to annoy you at all, not because it's impossible for Canon to wait three or four months and release an N-model with updated and better stats, no, it's because they want to get the best possible return on their investment, they want to suck you dry, as it were. It's a company, not the magical midget fairy lantern unicorn happy imaginary place. They make money by selling cameras.

Another thing that pisses me of, for years now, LITERALLY YEARS, people have been bitching about "buh huhuhu where is the new 24-70 2.8" and stalling and stalling, not buying the old one because "wait for the new one, it's just around the corner" and now it's here, "too expensive" and "not enough features" and "guess I'm going to buy a used 24-70 I". Wait, it actually makes me a happy, all those people, pissed of because of the wait and now they receive an "unsatisfactory product. hahaha.

If you want the absolute best of the best get the 1D X. That's where all the newfangled great stuff is in or make do with what you have. IS or more megapixels won't make your pictures better, learning to live with your gear and using it to it's limits will.

tl:dr

Who gives a S____.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »

altenae

• EOS M5
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
If you want the absolute best of the best get the 1D X. That's where all the newfangled great stuff is in or make do with what you have. IS or more megapixels won't make your pictures better, learning to live with your gear and using it to it's limits will.

+1 (I am with you 100%)

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »

I thought you had some fast glass.   Nothing below F/4???

What on earth would make you think that? I never made such a claim. If I needed to bulk up by internet street cred with f/2.8 glass, I'd buy it for the sole purpose of listing it in my sig. It just so turns out that with today's ISO capabilities and my shooting needs, f/4 glass is plenty fast.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:27:43 PM by V8Beast »

RuneL

• EOS M5
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »

I thought you had some fast glass.   Nothing below F/4???

What on earth would make you think that? I never made such a claim. If I needed to bulk up by internet street cred with f/2.8 glass, I'd buy it so I could list in my sig. It just so turns out that with today's ISO capabilities and my shooting needs, f/4 glass is plenty fast.

So, 2.8 or below is useless for anything else than propping up your online ego? That's a bit harsh :) I agree, if you don't need it, no point, it's just extra cost and possibly a loss of IQ, but I need my fast lenses. The 50 1.2 is overkill though, it's lovely and all, but to get a properly focused picture out of that thing requires massive amounts of luck/and/or skill with that particular lens. If everyone, including you, is frozen in time, it's easy, but if not... well. Snap more than one. But that the lens requires a bit of effort from you is one of it's charms, I think.

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »
So, 2.8 or below is useless for anything else than propping up your online ego? That's a bit harsh :) k.

Absolutely not, although I do see people spending a fortune on fast glass all the time, yet there seems to be of no benefit of that speed when looking at their images. When I'm on assignment, I can't tell you how often some hobbyist with a Rebel asks me why any working photog would should with a 24-105 instead of a 24-70. I guess to them f/2.8 is synonymous with pro gear, regardless of the shooting needs.

My statement was in response to Maui5150, who for some reason seemed puzzled that I don't own anything faster than f/4 glass. Perhaps he knows something about my own shooting needs that I don't?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:37:34 PM by V8Beast »

RuneL

• EOS M5
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
So, 2.8 or below is useless for anything else than propping up your online ego? That's a bit harsh :) k.

Absolutely not, although I do see people spending a fortune on fast glass all the time, yet there seems to be of no benefit of that speed when looking at their images. When I'm on assignment, I can't tell you how often some hobbyist with a Rebel asks me why any working photog would should with a 24-105 instead of a 24-70. I guess to them f/2.8 is synonymous with pro gear, regardless of the shooting needs.

My statement was in response to Maui5150, who for some reason seemed puzzled that I don't own anything faster than f/4 glass. Perhaps he knows something about my own shooting needs that I don't?

Well, shooting cars at f 2.8 unless you are doing it dead on is, well, maybe not wrong, but doesn't look all too great.

EYEONE

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »

Speed is the only benefit of f2.8. I buy'em more to kill the background.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »

aeturnum

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »
Anyone who sees the latest, greatest camera from any company and thinks, "man, I should switch to that brand because of feature X," is being a little silly. If the feature you like (relatively high megapixels in this case) is successful, the company you already own will release a camera with that feature. They might get there second, but they'll get there eventually.

If you want to switch, you should do so because you like the handling of one brand better than the handling of the other brand. For everything else, the brands will steal the best ideas from each other.

If it was the year 2000, and Nikon had just released their first DSLR, would you sell all your Canon stuff because they didn't have DSLR out yet? That kind of thinking is just silly.

briansquibb

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
why can't people post negative things about canon on this forum? Im not slating canon, only to voice my disappointment. You sir seems to be rather narrow minded about your brand.

They can and do all the time. There are countless posts on topics like the 5DII's AF sucking, and more lately about the D800 being the canon killer.  Why can't someone else respond to your post with their opinion? 

I have had it with this forum, I am switching to VivitarRumors.com!

8) 8) 8)   ;D ;D ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
2.8 glass works well for me  ;D ;D ;D

5DII, 400 f/2.8

Picsfor

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
What is it with this "anything above f2.8 is not good enough."?

I don't have anything below f4 (except my 50 f1.8 & 100 f2.8macro) and don't have issues with it.
My f4 zooms are more than adequate for my exposure needs - I have a 5D2!!! ( or2, and yes the AF is their weakest feature)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
ROFL love these threads...

I actually did the numbers on a switch to nikon yesterday and
it looks like i would take a fair loss selling all my canon glass and bodies then having to buy D800Es
so it aint gonna happen.

But the proposed specs for the new 5D look like it is going to fix all the issues I have with the 5D mk2... I Hope
another full stop of RAW IQ improvement would be heaven ie 6400 same as current 3200 etc. that would be pretty sweet

I was planning to keep the 5D mk2's as backups to the new bodys but if the AF is that much improved i'll probably sell the mk2's

Overall the mk2 is still, even though its a few years old, an outstanding camera as I've gradually figured out ways around the things I dont like. Still the body shape and size of the 5D is perfect for my uses I really dont want it to be more compact but i dont want it to be more bulky either.

And the rumour of a Canon large MP camera on the horizon is nice too I think a couple of the new 5D with 5D mk2 backups for weddings for me and my wife should be a nice combo for now.

Still i really would like to see a smaller form factor ASP-H camera come out if canon debuted into the mirrorless space with a high MP APS-H sensor i would be in heaven and that would kick all their competition in the balls as they currently talk up such a big game as having APS-C as big sensors. I really hope the mirrorless option also comes out with an EF adapter to be able to use all the existing glass. I mean when it is all said and done it's the glass that makes the biggest difference. And canons range of glass is outstanding and thats one of the main reasons i shifted over to canon from nikon before.

Nikon have some great glass too but canon has a bigger range and some stuff nikon dont
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
2.8 glass works well for me  ;D ;D ;D

5DII, 400 f/2.8

If I shot scantily clad women in low light, I'd opt for f/2.8 glass, too :) Back in the days of color slides, I was scared to shoot with anything other than 100 speed film, so f/2.8 or faster glass was necessary, but it's a very nice luxury these days to crank up the ISO far beyond what anyone could have dreamed of 15 years ago.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M5
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
Even though, we know the 5D is due for an update, dont be surprised if they annouce it soon. Also we gotta remember, Canon was damaged in the earthquake, so we dont know if they are fully functional yet. However, Canon's market share is killing Nikons. Plus Canon has a prototype that is 128mpixels with 12fps, so they can up the megapixels at will. Also Canon produces the CMOS sensor in house, not Nikon,thats why thier price is always a tad bit high.

That had been true but the D800 sensor is now produced by Nikon.  I don't know about the sensor of the D4 - does anyone know if it is Nikon or a Sony sensor.  My hope is that delivery of new cameras will follow more closely than the new superteles did.  They were announced in August but still have not been delivered to stores.  What is going on with these big, very expensive, teles.  Are they waiting for the dollar to fall further?

ejenner

• EOS M5
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »

Another thing that pisses me of, for years now, LITERALLY YEARS, people have been bitching about "buh huhuhu where is the new 24-70 2.8" and stalling and stalling, not buying the old one because "wait for the new one, it's just around the corner" and now it's here, "too expensive" and "not enough features" and "guess I'm going to buy a used 24-70 I". Wait, it actually makes me a happy, all those people, pissed of because of the wait and now they receive an "unsatisfactory product. hahaha.

Yea, I think they announced the 24-70 II just to clear all the 5DII's off their shelves with people wondering what monstrous surprises the 5DIII will bring.

Get those 5DII's now before they all go and no-one wants to sell theirs!

I know what you mean though about all those people waiting for an updated 24-70 rather than buying what they need now.  Now a good idea IMO.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »