June 21, 2018, 10:51:46 AM

Author Topic: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.  (Read 41987 times)

geniusofnati

Re: Latest Canon disappoints wants me to switch over to Nikon.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
Even though, we know the 5D is due for an update, dont be surprised if they annouce it soon. Also we gotta remember, Canon was damaged in the earthquake, so we dont know if they are fully functional yet. However, Canon's market share is killing Nikons. Plus Canon has a prototype that is 128mpixels with 12fps, so they can up the megapixels at will. Also Canon produces the CMOS sensor in house, not Nikon,thats why thier price is always a tad bit high.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »

ghosh9691

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »
I have been extremely disappointed with Canon lately. I have been waiting for the 5DMKIII that never comes. And the 24-70 was updated yesterday without IS and a huge price tag.

Plus, the Nikon D800 was announced yesterday with a very affordable price tag. I doubt the new 5DMKIII will beat the specs of the D800. Nikon also has the better wide angle zooms. Question I ask myself is why am I still with Canon?

And dont smite me on this, Im a canon fan. Just that I think Canon is out of touch with the present reality.

If you are truly unhappy and the Nikon D800 is the camera you think will give your photography the advantage, then I think you should go ahead and switch over to Nikon.

Everyone has different needs and perspectives - I, for example, am completely happy and satisfied with my 5D2 and don't need or want another camera for the foreseeable future - either Nikon or Canon :)

Each to his own...just let me know when you do sell off your Canon gear :)

00Q

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »
Even though, we know the 5D is due for an update, dont be surprised if they annouce it soon. Also we gotta remember, Canon was damaged in the earthquake, so we dont know if they are fully functional yet. However, Canon's market share is killing Nikons. Plus Canon has a prototype that is 128mpixels with 12fps, so they can up the megapixels at will. Also Canon produces the CMOS sensor in house, not Nikon,thats why thier price is always a tad bit high.

128mps 12fps??

ghosh9691

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »

128mps 12fps??

Yes, that was a prototype that they demonstrated a couple of years ago :). It was actually a 120MP APS-H sensor. Not thinking about switching any more?

Here's the link: http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html?WT.mc_id=C126149
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:03:36 AM by ghosh9691 »

kubelik

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »
I did a little calculation with numbers and this is what I've found out:

230 000 yen = 1840 USD (if you assume 1 USD = 125 yen - 2002 exchange ratio)
230 000 yen = 2987 USD (if you use todays ratio between USD and yen)

On the USA Canon page there is MSRP price 2299 USD (which equals to 177 023 with todays ratio). So actually USA price is lower then Japan price for 24-70 II if you compare dollar-to-dollar.

So first thing is that when this new lens will be available (in stock, not pre-orders) price will be actually lower then 2299 USD. Also it is only MSRP. My guess is that around summer time price will be +- 1800 USD from resellers.

...and a little thought an the end. If you check japanese page you will find out that MSRPs are:

EF 24-70 f/2.8L - 220 000 yen
EF 24-70 f/2.8L II - 230 000 yen

So the difference between them is only 10 000 yen = 129.87 USD (todays ratio). Current price for Mk I is 1 369 USD (B&H), 1399 (Adorama) - ofc without rabates that are actually on Canon stuff.
   If my calculations and assumptions are right (let's take 1500 USD as highest price tag for Mk I) then Mk II should be around +-1800 USD (including that this is a new item, new tech, coatings, lens elements and so... also when in full production and available at stores and resellers). I think we should wait, let's say until summer, and the price will drop. Just my 0.02 cents to discussion.

Sad thing is that I'm in Europe so even if the price tag will be 1800 USD, here will this lens cost 1800 € = 2 386 USD.

the only problem with this is, Canon USA defines the prices for Canon USA, not by using a direct exchange formula based on Canon Japan's price.  there's a lot of other math with tariffs and taxes that go into it.  same with Canon Europe.

And for Canon USA prices, especially in the L-series segment, historically we have never seen much more than a 5% difference between the MSRP and the street price.  once rebates kick in, you could get up to an additional 10% off or so.  but what you're looking at is nowhere close to a $1800 US sale price, you are looking at a ~$2200 street price, and maybe $2K once rebates hit later in the year/next year.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
golly this EXACT same topic was mentioned yesterday and subsequently censored/blocked from this forum... hmmm... oh well...  If your unhappy, by all means, go find a camera system that tickles your fancy, but I dont see a point for posting it on this forum...  good luck.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

00Q

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »
golly this EXACT same topic was mentioned yesterday and subsequently censored/blocked from this forum... hmmm... oh well...  If your unhappy, by all means, go find a camera system that tickles your fancy, but I dont see a point for posting it on this forum...  good luck.

why can't people post negative things about canon on this forum? Im not slating canon, only to voice my disappointment. You sir seems to be rather narrow minded about your brand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »

EYEONE

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »

+1. This topic gets soooo old. Talk is cheap and no one cares.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Orion

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
I have been extremely disappointed with Canon lately. I have been waiting for the 5DMKIII that never comes. And the 24-70 was updated yesterday without IS and a huge price tag.

Plus, the Nikon D800 was announced yesterday with a very affordable price tag. I doubt the new 5DMKIII will beat the specs of the D800. Nikon also has the better wide angle zooms. Question I ask myself is why am I still with Canon?

And dont smite me on this, Im a canon fan. Just that I think Canon is out of touch with the present reality.

Well, for one, I just don`t understand what your beef is with a 5DmkIII release being +/- couple months away, or later this month . . . . All this becasue the D800 is out!? What if the D800 were not released yet, but later this month instead?? My point is that all the things I keep reading here make no sense in the real world. It`s like people are sleeping with either Canon or Nikon and they have this desire to defend one or the other as if weither company is thier best friend instead of the coonsumer electronics supplier. . . .

By all means, if you feel that Nikon is better, or Canon, then make your switch or stay . .. but I don;t see how that is any of my concern or anybody else`s. . . . honestly. It all sounds so childish.

. . . and if you think Canon is out of touch with present reality, then I guess the 1Dx is a nightmare? and no IS on a 24-70. . . . the lens must suck? I say give me IS over great glass any day? The fact that Canon is reportedly getting ready to introduce multiple camera bodies this year, is not a good enough reason to understand a bit longer wait? talkin weeks here, not years. 

Maybe when the 5DmkIII comes out or anew model, somebody from Nikon will make a post over at Nikon rumors and say the exact opposite of that you are syaing here, and . . . oh wait . . that already happens.

awinphoto

• AW Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:31 AM »

why can't people post negative things about canon on this forum? Im not slating canon, only to voice my disappointment. You sir seems to be rather narrow minded about your brand.

Not at all...  I've had my beef's with Canon and been rather vocal in some things but to criticize a camera that hasn't even been announced compared a camera that hasn't even been released is a bit far fetched... If you wanted to gripe that we are waiting too long, the product/life cycle is too long, AF, etc you may have a point... and it's alright to change minds, switch brands, do whatever... that is your right... But posting like this in this manner, what are you trying to do?  Trying to see if people will convince you otherwise?  Trying to get more converts to make the jump with you?  It just seems pointless to gripe just for the sake of griping.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

capertillar

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
meh, just a point of discussion i would say... although the whole fanboy thing is quite hilarious... 

we should focus on the discussion of what features the d800 has that the 5dmk3 can benefit from, and when the time comes, which features the 5dmk3 significantly surpass the d800 in...

im currently not terribly invested in canon, so i have the opportunity to make the switch, so im takin a chill pill while waiting for both to release their cameras and determine which it is i want to move forward in

but i do like the 1.2x crop feature the d800 has..

awinphoto

• AW Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
meh, just a point of discussion i would say... although the whole fanboy thing is quite hilarious... 

we should focus on the discussion of what features the d800 has that the 5dmk3 can benefit from, and when the time comes, which features the 5dmk3 significantly surpass the d800 in...

im currently not terribly invested in canon, so i have the opportunity to make the switch, so im takin a chill pill while waiting for both to release their cameras and determine which it is i want to move forward in

Isn't it a 1.5x crop feature?  Ok I'll bite... how does everyone feel about the pop up flash thing... I know it's been looked down upon by the elite professionals and most elite professionals would never use it and all it could do is compromise durability since it's a moving part, but that aside, how many would like it for the occasional oh crap moment and or for the flash commander feature the 7D has?

EYEONE

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »

Isn't it a 1.5x crop feature?  Ok I'll bite... how does everyone feel about the pop up flash thing... I know it's been looked down upon by the elite professionals and most elite professionals would never use it and all it could do is compromise durability since it's a moving part, but that aside, how many would like it for the occasional oh crap moment and or for the flash commander feature the 7D has?

From using the 7D and making use of the flash commander a lot, I hope the 5DIII has a pop up with the same ability. It absolutely will not, but I wish anyway. I would mind if it were a very tiny flash that only worked to control others. I don't use the pop up as a flash anyway, I only use it to trigger others. Pro or not, why would you not want the built in ability to take the flash off the camera?

And the end of the day I'd like buy into a system that allows HSS. But, the strobe trigger has awesome abilities indoors and outdoors when you don't need to kill the sun.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »
I'd point out that the Nikon 24-70 doesnt have IS and costs $1900, whats more with Nikon you don't have the option of a good quality F/4 normal zoom given the 24-120's shortcomings compaired to the 24-105's.

When your dealing with these monster megapixel counts my guess is that theres going to need to be more of a movement back towards tripods anyway to get the best out of them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:51:57 AM by moreorless »

awinphoto

• AW Photography
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »

From using the 7D and making use of the flash commander a lot, I hope the 5DIII has a pop up with the same ability. It absolutely will not, but I wish anyway. I would mind if it were a very tiny flash that only worked to control others. I don't use the pop up as a flash anyway, I only use it to trigger others. Pro or not, why would you not want the built in ability to take the flash off the camera?

And the end of the day I'd like buy into a system that allows HSS. But, the strobe trigger has awesome abilities indoors and outdoors when you don't need to kill the sun.

Would you prefer to have a pop up flash commander or perhaps no pop up flash but maybe a radio or IR transmitter for a commander? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »