April 21, 2014, 11:44:52 AM

Author Topic: I know the future!  (Read 5332 times)

JRS

• Canon AE-1
  • Canon 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I know the future!
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
This year we will se two new bodies:

3D: High MP (40+), slow FPS...
5Dx: Low MP (22), faster FPS...

That way canon will have a product for both niche markets!  ;)
Canon 5D3 | 24-105L | 17-40L | 70-300L | 135L | TS-E 24L II | 50 1.4 | 15 2.8 Fisheye | 270EXII | 600EX-RT (x2) | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

I know the future!
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: I know the future!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »

In case of bodies:

1.) I think that there will be one high mpx camera + I assume it will be the 4K with RAW video (which was also patented). It will be low fps, fewer AF points, video and studio focused camera. This could be 4000-4500 USD.

2.) I assume it will be something like posted 5D-X or however it will be called. Light prosumer body with good AF, around 6 fps, +-22 mpx FF sensor, great high ISO and around 3000 USD as price tag goes. This will not be a direct competitor to D800 (fewer mpx, less fps, possibly no RAW video).

3.) I think there will be a Rebel body. Not sure about specs. Maybe they just bump new processor in it and 24 mpx sensor (but currently 18 mpx is enough).

There is, for sure, market for another 2 FF bodies. If they divide them like this, they will definitely profit from this.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

JRS

• Canon AE-1
  • Canon 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »

In case of bodies:

1.) I think that there will be one high mpx camera + I assume it will be the 4K with RAW video (which was also patented). It will be low fps, fewer AF points, video and studio focused camera. This could be 4000-4500 USD.

2.) I assume it will be something like posted 5D-X or however it will be called. Light prosumer body with good AF, around 6 fps, +-22 mpx FF sensor, great high ISO and around 3000 USD as price tag goes. This will not be a direct competitor to D800 (fewer mpx, less fps, possibly no RAW video).

3.) I think there will be a Rebel body. Not sure about specs. Maybe they just bump new processor in it and 24 mpx sensor (but currently 18 mpx is enough).

There is, for sure, market for another 2 FF bodies. If they divide them like this, they will definitely profit from this.

The RAW video camera fits in the EOS "C" line, like the new C300.. I have no clue what name it may have...

The EOS "D" line is stills oriented, that's where I believe we are going to see full frame high and low MPs cameras...

I don't think we will see RAW video anytime soon in the "D" line...

Canon 5D3 | 24-105L | 17-40L | 70-300L | 135L | TS-E 24L II | 50 1.4 | 15 2.8 Fisheye | 270EXII | 600EX-RT (x2) | ST-E3-RT

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »

In case of bodies:

If true....I'll take #2 ;)
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

aaronh

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »

In case of bodies:

As will I! (Although I hope it's $2700...)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »

In case of bodies:

The problem is the high MP likely would even more video functions and raw recording and cost a bit more and canon will be flamed because people will feel the camera would be video oriented and not still oriented despite the High MP...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »

In case of bodies:

I suspect it would probably cost nearly 4,000. Canon doesn't want to eat out the 1DX.

Moreover, if Canon merges the 7D-5D lineup, they will enrage the many who are looking for a higher-res FF camera (D800, anyone?), and enrage those looking for an APS-C action/sports/wildlife camera. And, I suspect the D400 is probably going to be a camera which will probabably get a lot of heads turning....
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
Moreover, if Canon merges the 7D-5D lineup, they will enrage the many who are looking for a higher-res FF camera (D800, anyone?), and enrage those looking for an APS-C action/sports/wildlife camera. And, I suspect the D400 is probably going to be a camera which will probabably get a lot of heads turning....

How would a Canon 7D-5D Best of Both World's enrage?

From the 7D - better weather sealing, more FPS, better AF
From the 5D - FF, Better High ISO, Better Low Light, Better IQ
Added  - Large Resolution, some other bells and whistles like wireless built in, articulating screen, Dual Card etc.

Only downside I see to this is some of the 7D users loosing the crop/reach of some of the lenses and the EF-S lenses not fitting, but could also see maybe the 70D becoming more of stepping up to be a high FPS top-of-the-crop to fill that void. 

Compared to the D800, the Canon 5D7D would be Faster FPS, maybe a little less AF, Better ISO especially at the top end... expect 12800 Native, and cheaper.  The D800 may produce larger pics, but I think the 5D7D, especially paired with something like the 70-200 F/2.8 IS II would produce better IQ images at pretty much every level. 

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »

Added  - Large Resolution, some other bells and whistles like wireless built in, articulating screen, Dual Card etc.

Only downside I see to this is some of the 7D users loosing the crop/reach of some of the lenses and the EF-S lenses not fitting, but could also see maybe the 70D becoming more of stepping up to be a high FPS top-of-the-crop to fill that void. 

Compared to the D800, the Canon 5D7D would be Faster FPS, maybe a little less AF, Better ISO especially at the top end... expect 12800 Native, and cheaper.  The D800 may produce larger pics, but I think the 5D7D, especially paired with something like the 70-200 F/2.8 IS II would produce better IQ images at pretty much every level.

You're forgetting human nature... some people will bound to be ticked... especially if the consumer base cant use their ever so expensive ef-s glass on this beast.  Another thing to ponder... I wouldn't mind dual card slots (granted I hardly ever get to the point where my card runs out and i cant swap them out, I can see when they could come in handy) how many would want the CF and SD combo like the D800 or would you prefer a common size like both SD's or both CF's?  I think I would prefer the same dual CF's... keep the same speed, both be umda cards... can SD cards keep up with umda CF cards? if the CF ran out and the SD kicked in and my buffer all of a sudden started filling up quicker I would personally start to get ticked.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

Second one is what I want most. I don't need 30+ Mpx - I can be satisfied with 18-22 mpx if the ISO will be very usable, let's say, at 12 800 or usable at 25600. Personally I don't need it to be 204k of ISO. Around 6 fps is quiet good - paired with some great AF it will be usable for sports (at least some sort of them). Also that nice grip with joystick will be welcome. C'mon "Canon you can" do it. I've already 3000 € for such camera and it will last me for at least 4-5 years (maybe even longer). And lenses are getting better a better.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:13:17 PM by mathino »
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

You're forgetting human nature... some people will bound to be ticked... especially if the consumer base cant use their ever so expensive ef-s glass on this beast.  Another thing to ponder... I wouldn't mind dual card slots (granted I hardly ever get to the point where my card runs out and i cant swap them out, I can see when they could come in handy) how many would want the CF and SD combo like the D800 or would you prefer a common size like both SD's or both CF's?  I think I would prefer the same dual CF's... keep the same speed, both be umda cards... can SD cards keep up with umda CF cards? if the CF ran out and the SD kicked in and my buffer all of a sudden started filling up quicker I would personally start to get ticked.   

Having crawled up from the EF-S ranks, outside of the 10-22, there really is not much to speak of.  In fact lenses like the 18-135 probably hurt more than they help.

But again... I could see the 70D becoming the King of the crops... May not appeal the most, but give some of the 7D users better ISO, less noise and more resolution and they may be happy.

As for the Dual card, I would say Dual CFs or CF and then the new XQD.  Not sure if the XQD will catch on.  I have only filled a card once, and that was when I had an 8 card in there because I was importing my 16 into LR.  I think SD is a step back performance wise, and would hate to have to drop down from my CF to SD.

Ultimately I am not surprised for Canon to wait a little.  Gives them time to tweak, and one-up. 

After all, if I were Canon, I would rather and release a better camera two months later and then live with that better camera on the market for 2 plus years, than be out the gate 2 months early and be passed and then have a lesser camera for 2 years. 

Really depends on what Canon does.  To me the 1DX has a slight edge on the D4.  May be some bias, but I think the ISO is better, it has larger resolution and I think offers more.  Biased?  Perhaps.  But I think the 1DX will be a low-light beast and the D4 much noisier.

I think Canon will release the 3 line.  This will be a MP Beast, maybe only 4 - 6 FPS, Little less AF, but better ISO and priced a little higher than the D800.  So more MP, better performance, better IQ especially in low light.

I also think they will release an update to the 5D.  Only slight increase in MP (24?) either the 7D AF or better, maybe 5 or 6 FPS, but in short, strengthen the weaknesses of the 5D line which really comes down to AF, add some improvements, and let Nikon have MP and beat them everywhere else.   The Canon would be cheaper, better performing except in size and be a significant upgrade. 

In short

1DX > D4
3Dx > D800
5Dx > D800 / D400

Especially if the next 5 series camera performs well at ISO 3200 and higher and has improved AF, Canon will have camera at either end of the D800 that perform. 

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
I think it easy to come up with a camera that has the best of both 5D and 7D models combined. The only problem would be cost, because it certainly wont be low spec!

I'm sure if Canon really, really wanted to, they could redesign the mirror assembly like Sony did on the A900 to hinge in some weird way and create the extra clearance allowing EF-S lenses to be used. The new sensor would only need to take a cutting edge crop sensor and scale it up to full frame. So if you crop back to APS-C, you still get a decent resolution. We're looking at 46MP or so full frame sensor to match the existing 18MP APS-C pixel density.

Of course, shooting 46MP at 8fps (to match the 7D) would be a huge increase in data. Erm... that could be tricky but not impassable. It would require at least a 3rd and probably 4th processor assuming the same spec as the ones in the 1D X. You might want bigger batteries to drive all this! Not to mention a LOT more buffer storage if you don't want to fill it in one shot. And simultaneously writing to more than one card would be a good idea at this point to get that data out again. All this might be a bit too much to fit in an existing non-1D grade body.

This could be one DSLR to rule them all, but the price would too... enough dreaming. Back to what we can get now!
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »

And then you buy two cameras from them instead of one ;).

Personally I'd rather have one that did 30MP, 6fps, better than 7D AF, at this point in time, than a pair with one at 45MP,3fps,mediocre AF and one with 18-22MP,7-8fps, 1DX AF at this stage in the game. The latter body spec there would've seem out of this world a year ago though (and hey would still be pretty impressive today, not exactly something to cry over, reach is the only down side and I'm sure the next body in 2-3 years would fix that).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure a 22MP 5D3 would necessarily have any noticeable high iso advantage and if they don't change their ADC system it could have at least 1-2 stops LESS low ISO DR (hopefully they have changed ADC system starting with 1DX....).

stabmasterasron

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
Does anyone see a FF sensor in the 60D price range/build quality range.  Or am I the only person working on a family budget, not making money off of images who even knows that there is such a thing as a FF sensor? I don’t need video, but I would like a FF sensor in a budget friendly body.  Maybe there are not enough people like me for Canon to care about.  After the 5d mkii is retired, why not take the 5D mkii sensor and throw it in a cheaper body, digic 5 processor, subtract video and boom.  Nikon has nothing to compete in that price range – no one does.  Probably will never happen.  I will just have to pick up a used 5d classic from  ebay

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »