June 27, 2017, 03:42:02 AM

Author Topic: Is it worth waiting for the 6D II or can I go wrong with getting the 5D IV?  (Read 5077 times)

RandomRazr

• PowerShot G1 X II
Depending on what you shoot and which lenses you use, the 6D2 might even have the better AF system. Tracking will be worse, but it will have more cross type AF points (45 vs 41) and at f/5.6 it will likely be an even bigger difference (5D4 has 21 near the center only). It will likely be a PITA to select the points without a joystick, though.
Why not wait until the 6d ll comes out? Rent both cameras and make your own determination after actual usage.
The question may end up being: Is the 5d IV that much better it warrants the extra expense, or, Is the performance of the 6d ll good enough for your purposes that the money saved or used for other purchases now a deciding factor?
^ Interesting, I had both the 6D and 5D3 and really didn't notice any difference in sharpness between the two cameras. The more reliable AF of the latter gives that camera the edge IMHO. However, I do notice a difference between the 5D3 and 5D4 (latter is a bit softer).

I'd be interested to see how the 6D2 compares to the 5D4 IQ-wise.

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, wildlife.  I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII. 

While I generally concur with this sentiment, I'd also note that at really high ISO (6400+), the 5D4 has NOTICEABLY less color noise than the 5D3 does (and the 5DSR too by extension). This leads to smoother, more useable files and slightly richer colors. Having had to shoot both cameras at ISO 10,000 for select events, the difference was quite clear in the amount of work the files needed in post.

Definitely mixed feelings regarding the IQ for sure.

I take most of my shots under ISO 3200.  Not sure this is due to anti-aliasing.  I believe it has something to do with in-camera processing of the photo-diodes.  I do notice improvement after the latest firmware update, but still a let down.

I initially thought it was due to the AA filter, but after some digging I'm now thinking there is more to it than that. Upon closer inspection, it seems the Mark IV actually aliases slightly more than the Mark III does - and that can be verified in the DPReview comparison here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/9 (scroll to the drawing on the left side of the DPreview sign). It seems, instead, more likely to be something to do with the actual sensor design or perhaps the processing of the sensor data, either in-camera or in DPP/Adobe/whatever.
with the latest leaks of the 6D II, would it be worth the wait for the 6D II or can i go wrong with getting the 5d IV?

It seems the only 3 advantages i see so far, is cheaper, price, angle tilt LCD screen, and a digic 7 processor.

If you can afford it, the 5D4 is a much better camera, with two big exceptions.....

The first, obviously, is price......

The second is that the 6D2 will have a tilt-swivel screen. If you are going to be doing strange things like astrophotography, and you really hate lying in the snow, the tilt/swivel screen is a big thing..... the rest of the time, meh....

Yessssss
If you can afford it, the 5D4 is a much better camera, with two big exceptions.....

The second is that the 6D2 will have a tilt-swivel screen. If you are going to be doing strange things like astrophotography, and you really hate lying in the snow, the tilt/swivel screen is a big thing..... the rest of the time, meh....

Yessssss
Sounds like you are not in a big hurry, so let the 6DII come out, read the reviews, see samples from actual users...

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, birds-in-flight.  I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII.  It can be awkward down low for macro without the swivel screen, but I have an 80D I'm liking more and more for that.

You can get the 6DII and a very nice lens, I believe, for the price of the 5DIV.
As of now, what is the big difference between the two spec wise?

4K and Dual Slots?
with the latest leaks of the 6D II, would it be worth the wait for the 6D II or can i go wrong with getting the 5d IV?

It seems the only 3 advantages i see so far, is cheaper, price, angle tilt LCD screen, and a digic 7 processor.

If you cannot decide and not in a hurry, wait for 6D2 official specs and reviews.
As of now, what is the big difference between the two spec wise?

4K and Dual Slots?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It seems overall, the 5D IV is technically, and going to be a "better camera overall" but obviously it depends on needs from person to person.

I have a 24-70mm 2.8 II L lens sitting around. Used it with my 70D before I sold that camera.

I thought the flippy screen would be useful but when i think back, it was never something i always used for my shots which are people and video. seeing waht the camera sees in front of you was great, but if i need to record my self, its hard to tap to focus when u cant reach the screen which is where the wifi and canon app with live view from your phone helps!

i picked up the 5D IV, and could still return it as i have till end of the month for the return period. fantastic camera but im questioning if its wortht he extra 1000 over the 6d II if i returned it and waited.

I had an 80D for 2 days before that went back to bestbuy prior, as I felt i wanted a bigger jump from my 70D and use my L len to its full potential on a full frame.

it seems a couple things better on the 6D II will be more cross type AF points, 45 over 41 and the flippy screen and DGICI 7 processor over 6+ on the 5D IV from the comments ive read.

i use my camera for 80% video with 1080p 60fps for youtube and 20% for photo on the side for fun.

Still figuring out whether i would miss anything on the 5D IV that wouldnt be on the 6D II. dual card slots, 30mp, and just alot of little things that may add up and of course determining whether those little things are worth it for the extra 1000.

Thanks again for your input guys, i will ahve to dwell on this till june 29th XD

canon rumors FORUM

Act444

• 5D Mark III
Depending on what you shoot and which lenses you use, the 6D2 might even have the better AF system. Tracking will be worse, but it will have more cross type AF points (45 vs 41) and at f/5.6 it will likely be an even bigger difference (5D4 has 21 near the center only). It will likely be a PITA to select the points without a joystick, though.

It'll depend on the spread of those points though. If they're all clustered together in the center, well...not very helpful. It's possible that the 5D system will have greater coverage even with fewer cross-type points.

Another thing - what about extra-sensitive double cross-type points? Will it be just the center point in the new 6D?

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Do not know what video you shoot but floppy screen is very useful for low angle or overhead video shots.

RandomRazr

• PowerShot G1 X II
Do not know what video you shoot but floppy screen is very useful for low angle or overhead video shots.

my camera sits on a tripod for video .

i maybe used the flippy screen 5% of the time

jolyonralph

• EOS M3
    • Every Other Shot
Flippy screen is far less important if you use your smartphone to remote control the 5D IV - then it's even easier to see what's going on without having to angle yourself or your screen.

Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M5/M3, Sony A6000, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

RandomRazr

• PowerShot G1 X II
Flippy screen is far less important if you use your smartphone to remote control the 5D IV - then it's even easier to see what's going on without having to angle yourself or your screen.

is it true u can tap to focus on live view with smartphone?

hne

• Rebel SL1

Yes.

With the 5DmkIV you can use your phone/tablet to start/stop video recording, take a photo, change shutter/aperture/iso/exposure compensation, change video recording format and use touch to refocus. Both MOV and MP4 files can be recorded, but only MP4 video files can be downloaded to your phone/tablet over wifi. Images will be rescaled on download (1920 pixels wide = no fun) if requested from the app but you can push JPEG files (including in-camera RAW developed results) in original resolution to the phone from the camera menu.
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 17-40/4L, 35/1.4L, 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 70D, Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art, 200/2.8L II, Yongnuo + 622

canon rumors FORUM

YuengLinger

• 5DSR

With the 5DmkIV you can use your phone/tablet to start/stop video recording, take a photo, change shutter/aperture/iso/exposure compensation, change video recording format and use touch to refocus. Both MOV and MP4 files can be recorded, but only MP4 video files can be downloaded to your phone/tablet over wifi. Images will be rescaled on download (1920 pixels wide = no fun) if requested from the app but you can push JPEG files (including in-camera RAW developed results) in original resolution to the phone from the camera menu.

Yes.

Hope to try this over the weekend!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:30:13 PM by YuengLinger »

BillB

• Rebel SL1

The tilt/swivel screen has some value I think for tripod work, both video and still, but no tripod, no Live View as far as I am concerned.  I am trying to convince myself that I ought to use my tripod more, but without much success so far.

Yiannis A - Greece

• PowerShot G1 X II
Sounds like you are not in a big hurry, so let the 6DII come out, read the reviews, see samples from actual users...

I'd count on the 5DIV for action shots, birds-in-flight.  I'm a little disappointed by the IQ at ISO 400 and above, just not as clear and sharp as hoped, not as smooth as the 5DIII.  It can be awkward down low for macro without the swivel screen, but I have an 80D I'm liking more and more for that.

You can get the 6DII and a very nice lens, I believe, for the price of the 5DIV.
Dear YuengLinger,
I had the exact same opinion about 5d Mk4 after compairing it to my 5D Mk3. The jpegs seemed a little soft and thought it was my mistake handling the camera in a wrong way. It was not untill  last week that i decided to "play" with picture profile adjustments. I use the "Fine Detail" profile so, i took the "fineness" slider from "1" to "5" and then my eyes popped out! The 5D Mk3 photos that seemed so sharp and detailed after proccessing the RAWs in Photoshop, looked somehow poor and lacking detail compared to the jpegs straight out of the Mk4.

It is night and day my dear friend. Please try this adjustment and give us some feedback. Also, don't forget that due to 30.4 MPs, the Mk4 needs faster shutter to avoid blurriness compared to the 22 MP 5D Mk3.

Wishing you all the best.

Yiannis, Athens, Greece.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
5D4 will have the following things that the 6D2 will not:

• Definitely:  +4 more MP (if the rumor is true)
  • Definitely:  4K video recording (if the rumor is true)
  • Definitely:  Much more solid build quality
  • Definitely:  Dual card slots (if the rumor is true)
  • Definitely:  More capable AF system in general (the 6D2 may get some small wrinkle that is nicer than the 5D4 on AF, but in general the 5D4 will be a step above)
  • Likely:  higher cycle count shutter durability
  • Likely:  higher fps (very low chance the 6D2 gets 7 fps)
  • Likely:  AF joystick (6D2 might not get this)
  • Likely:  Chunkier grip that better fits your hand
  • Maybe:  1/8000 shutter
  • Maybe:  1/200 flash sync speed
  • Maybe:  AF point selection via touchscreen
  • Maybe:  DPRAW
  • Maybe:  Great quality back thumb wheel (maybe the 6D2 gets the nice 5D-level one this go-round?)

I see the decision as being how badly you need certain professional niceties [professional build tool, 4K, dual slots, very high quality AF system] vs. saving some money and getting a tilty-flippy screen.  The sensor quality / sensor resolution / fps differences will be really small.  So one could argue the 6D2 is a more affordable 5D4 with a tilty-flippy screen.

- A

smr

• Power Shot G7X

Or when doing landscapes and the sun makes it hard to see the screen, tilting it can be the difference between getting a shot or not.

And when doing macro photography, amount of shots I've needed to tilt the screen....

Granted my first DSLR is my current one, a 700D so I've never used a Camera without one, but I see it as such a hindrance on those more expensive Cameras, I can see why they don't have it as I'm guessing it's to support the notion that those more "pro" bodies have to be marketed as more rugged and unbreakable, but if you take care of your gear then I don't see the problem. Infact I love it so much that if the 6D mk2 didn't have it (and believe me I'm massively hyped for this Camera) I'd probably even think about sticking to crop and getting an 80D instead, well, if it wasn't a touch screen that is, I find it really useful when doing landscapes, zooming in on the background to check focus and then foreground etc.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM

Drop it like it's hot - more specs and a proper leak of pictures:

https://goo.gl/SQz8ka

6.5 fps!

- A

canon rumors FORUM

tr573

• EOS M3

6.5 fps!

- A

lol @ canon still putting mini-b usb ports on stuff. 

RandomRazr

• PowerShot G1 X II

6.5 fps!

- A

ooooo that screen flippynesss

canon rumors FORUM