December 21, 2014, 11:38:50 PM

Author Topic: Would we be asking too much?  (Read 5077 times)

FyreStorm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Would we be asking too much?
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:35 PM »
First off, I'm a photographer! If I wanted to be a videographer, they sell video cameras...

I'm not sure if Canon R&D read these posts, but I'm tired of waiting for the 5D3, I'm on the verge of packing up and heading to camp Nikon. If the 5D3 ever arrives, I don't need video...Canon please just deliver a full frame, moderate megapixels camera with a solid AF and robust ISO.

Perhaps WiFi and GeoTagging, they squeeze that stuff into watches these days, it's not too much to ask.

And keep the price within reach, don't burn us who want one in the first 6 months!!

Don't flame me for being impatient, we're all checking the Rumors page daily...

5D3 | G12 | 17-40 f4L | 50 f1.4 | 28-105 f3.5 | 580ex II

canon rumors FORUM

Would we be asking too much?
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:35 PM »

Kamera Obscura

Re: Would we be asking too much?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »
I guess it's goodby then.

Mean time. I'll just go out and shoot/enjoy my Canon gear, till new stuff show up.

dario.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
How many of these stupid threads do we have to endure? Do you honestly think anyone gives a rat's hind end?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »
Canon (and every other company) isn't trying to piss you off.  They will release it when they are ready. 

Sometimes Canon goes first; sometimes Nikon goes first. 
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »
Well, Just because you are not a videographer, Doesnt mean everyone is not. And before you comment on getting a video camera, You should have understand how much would it cost for a good video camera giving the same quality as the 5dII..
the cheapest pro video cam produce Full 1080P vid is Sony EX3... and it cost $8000+accessories..

Ryusui

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »
First off, I'm a photographer! If I wanted to be a videographer, they sell video cameras...
Well good for you.
As was said, you may not be, but there are (apparently) many who dabble in both, or do video exclusively and really appreciate the features and benefits of DSLR video.

I'm not sure if Canon R&D read these posts,
Probably not.  I'm sure they could find much better places to hear whining.

but I'm tired of waiting for the 5D3, I'm on the verge of packing up and heading to camp Nikon.
I'll be sure to play the violin in the hallway on your long, sad journey out of the building.

If the 5D3 ever arrives, I don't need video...Canon please just deliver a full frame, moderate megapixels camera with a solid AF and robust ISO.1
Because, you know, they didn't deliver on any of those with the 5D Mark II from the 5D classic.  No progress at all.  Damn them!

Perhaps WiFi and GeoTagging, they squeeze that stuff into watches these days, it's not too much to ask.
You can attach a 400mm f/2.8 lens to your watch???  Take razor sharp images of static or moving subjects that can be blown up to poster sizes with crystal clarity???  Track a moving subject across your field of view???  Produce images to preserve your memories or sell to clients for hundreds or thousands of dollars???  :o  Where do you buy your watches?  I'm shopping in the wrong places!

And keep the price within reach, don't burn us who want one in the first 6 months!!
I know, right!  While we're at it, tell that damn Lamborghini company to stop pricing their ultra-stylish, high-powered performance vehicles so high!  I want to be able to afford one before I'm 60!

Don't flame me for being impatient, we're all checking the Rumors page daily...
We are?  I thought most of us photographers were too busy out shooting and having fun with our awesome cameras?
Well...I know I am.  But when something new comes, I'll be sure to check it out!

Neeneko

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
Well, Just because you are not a videographer, Doesnt mean everyone is not.

Well, that is kinda the point.  Some people who are not videographers are starting to get annoyed that Canon's entire DSLR line (outside the 1Ds III) has gone video.  It is great that they have these offerings since they address people who are, but it would be nice if they got back to producing a couple models that were dedicated cameras rather then multimedia devices.

Unfortunately the only companies that still produce dedicated still cameras, as you point out for dedicated video cameras, are very expensive.  However there is no real equivalent to the 'mid-range' camcorders.  With video there is a whole range from cheapies up through the expensive ones.

Cameras, the mid-range is almost gone.  You have a few ultra-cheap ones, and you have MF ones, but the EVIL/DSLR range ones, things between maybe $200-10,000, have all gone multimedia.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »
Well, Just because you are not a videographer, Doesnt mean everyone is not.

Well, that is kinda the point.  Some people who are not videographers are starting to get annoyed that Canon's entire DSLR line (outside the 1Ds III) has gone video.  It is great that they have these offerings since they address people who are, but it would be nice if they got back to producing a couple models that were dedicated cameras rather then multimedia devices.

I hear you and pretty much agree.

But hey! It could be worse!

They COULD internet-enable the new cameras and introduce two NEW buttons on the rear of them...

...One with a blue FaceBook logo...
...The other with a Twitter logo!

Tweet/share your pics direct from camera! [GROAN!]

OMG; I hope I'm not giving them ideas!
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Astro

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:19 AM »
How many of these stupid threads do we have to endure? Do you honestly think anyone gives a rat's hind end?

yeah i just asked that myself and it´s probably the same guy over and over again.

Takuma

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »
I guess it's goodby then.

Mean time. I'll just go out and shoot/enjoy my Canon gear, till new stuff show up.

dario.

+1
5D mark III; 7D; 50 f1.4; 100L macro; 24-105L; 70-200 f2.8 L II; 100-400L

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
I for one enjoy video and stills functions. Im sure lots of people do or there wouldnt be entire sites dedicated to shooting dslr movies, especially with the 5dmkii.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:01:03 AM »
FyreStorm, if you come to the rumor page every day then you probably know that in all likelyhood, the next 5 type body should have all the features you described.  We know that an announcement is emminent...it is funny how the fact Nikon would announced a camera a few weeks before Canon suddenly want to make everyone jump out of impatience...feel free to go see if the grass is greener on the dark side, but if you do it too quickly you might regret it.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
I for one enjoy video and stills functions. Im sure lots of people do or there wouldnt be entire sites dedicated to shooting dslr movies, especially with the 5dmkii.

I agree and I see a great advantage of the video capabilities of crop or fullframe cameras:

My next body will have video and I am really upset about making video (I have some ideas of short films) with some features of pro quality like ultrawide, macro and strong tele perspectives including the shallow DOF when used with e.g. an EF 2.0/100.

Ten years ago you needed to spend 50000 or 100000 dollars/euro vor a video camera with high quality lenses and larger sensor. This is done today with some additional buttons on a 600 dollar/euro camera ... with some minor limitations ... and a bunch of lenses I use for photography.

By the way I like the 40D because it
  - has a bunch of options/features  and
  - the ergonomics to use just a few of them without any hassles (M, Av, ISO-settings, ... don't rember others)

Canon managed to add video functions as a "waste product" of digital signal processing without going into the way of serious photography. And this brought us live view (great for spot on focus at difficult conditions), tilt and swivel displays (unusual perspectives for photography and video) and - at least - video.
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
wait, so you're telling me that by switching to Nikon ... you're going to avoid having to buy a camera with video capabilities?  have I been living under a rock?  last time I looked, all new Nikon DSLRs have video functions as well.

um.  I have an old N60 I can sell you if you hate having a "record" button that much.

Neeneko

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
wait, so you're telling me that by switching to Nikon ... you're going to avoid having to buy a camera with video capabilities?  have I been living under a rock?  last time I looked, all new Nikon DSLRs have video functions as well.

*smirk* I admit, that aspect of these posts has been amusing me greatly, esp since the new D800 specifically lists itself as a 'multimedia camera'.

Very few companies still make dedicated still cameras, and I do not think anyone makes them in the range that consumer DSLRs generally occupy.

Though personally, used MF backs are looking better and better....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »