October 24, 2014, 09:42:57 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else want a cropped sensor?  (Read 7718 times)

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else want a cropped sensor?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
I realise I am in the minority, but I am NOT currently in the market for FF body (not that I wouldn’t like one, just I have not got the glass or the money), but am dieing to replace my banged up 450D.
So what do folks think the next cropped bodies will be like? Is there anyone else out there who wants one?

Crop bodies have some advantages: Good compromise between price and performance, has larger DOF and makes ultra-compact tele lenses.
The EF2.0/100 on a crop body is a 2.0/160mm lens in 35equiv terms with the size of a larger standard lens!

... and some disadvantages: higher DOF, more noise especially at low ISO values, limited enlargement factors for print-outs.

For me a good crop camera (solid, high exposure range, good low ISO capability) make a great allrounder and fits to me tele centered style of photography - so that is, at the moment, my future. Think about the 5.6 400 which is "tele-converted" by the crop sensor into a 5.6 640 lens at moderate price and size ... you can afford it and you want to use it because it is light and compact. A full frame camera would smash that important advantage of crop bodies for my photographic necessities.

I see two lines of crop bodies: Follow ups of the existing lines of DSLRs but I see also a compact EVIL by canon with enhanced video capabilities and compactness (perhaps a new bayonet layout but with adaptor for EF/EF-S lenses). The compact evil would be interesting for me because I really LIKE my 40D (as a lot of participants of that thread) uiand I like to produce video staff with my lenses.
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »

JonJT

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
I've also got a crop and, I'm sticking with it.

All this excitement about the upcoming FF models is exciting, though, because it provides a benchmark that future crop releases can be compared to.  And, as many have pointed out, the tonal range, dynamic range and noise performance of Canon's crop sensors needs to be improved if they are going to remain competitive in the future.

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
Used 40D or 7D is the way to go for me. Have both and love both, if you've got the cash get a 7D, else try to get your hands on a used 40D. I don't much care for the 50D or 60D since those lack some features that I really liked on my 40D.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
No.

I have the 1.3 crop and have gotten used to it during the last 7 years. But now it's time I think, tech has evolved and allows faster clearing of the data from the larger sensor area and the larger sensors are cheaper to make, you'll get used to not having the extra reach. Full frame is the future, but for now, and probably the next year or two I'll keep using mine and not be bothered by it. It simply doesn't matter.

Oh yeah: And your original thoughts on the crop lenses and such is one of the reasons that I have gotten many people very angry by asking them why the hell they bought EF-S lenses and that the new mount was a mongrel bastard that should never have been born.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:09:20 PM by RuneL »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Crop sensors sell by far the largest number of DSLR camera bodies, so a ton of people want them.  Typically, they want to buy the newest and greatest model.

Thats why the camera manufacturers put out a new beginner model each year, even if it has only tiny changes, that makes it a new model, and they can raise the price a few hundred dollars.

Most of those who post here, like you, are a bit selective about their choice, and look carefully at their options. 

Some, like me, would recommend buying a older model body, and a upgraded lens, keeping the outlay the same.  Lenses are something to keep for many years, but bodies come and go.

However, if you do video, then new bodies often have some significant video improvements and might be just the thing.  Determine what you really need, and go for that.  Buy a upgraded lens if possible.

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »
No I don't want a cropped sensor.. its like asking does anyone want the same fuel economy but less horsepower..

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Personally I'd be extremely happy with 10-12 1DX pixels in an APS-C camera with a viewfinder a little better than the 7D (if that's possible, I know it's already 100%/1.0x).

I think the yearning for FF is mostly based on:

• very low noise floor at high ISO
  • great viewfinder image
  • very shallow DoF at moderate focal lengths

If the first two could be made very close to the 5D in a crop camera, then I think the DoF available at APS-C focal lengths is an acceptable compromise for a whole lot of people.  Digic 5+ will certainly help things out in the noise department...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:29:23 PM by funkboy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
Got my parents a 600D for xmas and my initial take on it
- quite plasticy build (lightweight so my mum is happy)
- flippy screen is great, makes taking low angle shots nice and easy. cant really see my parents diving around on the ground chasing angles
- built in flash control works well, needs line of sight but had it firing my 580s in a few minutes, really quick to set up. pretty cool.
- IQ same as the 60D and 7D takes pretty good shots when i whack some L glass on it. looks quite funny with a 70-200 or 300mm hanging off the front of it :)
- AF about the same as th 5D2 so nothing to write home about but fine for their uses
- Controls not bad to use I prefer the dials and joystick of higher end models

all up for the cheap price its quite a lot of camera that is'nt too shaby with the 18-55 kit lens perhaps once they get the hang of it all they might move up to the 17-55 f2.8 but for now they are happy with the kit lens.

I would imagine the 650D will improve on a few things. new sensor maybe
for the money though the 600D is pretty decent IMO
APS-H Fanboy

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
Crop sensors sell by far the largest number of DSLR camera bodies, so a ton of people want them.

I'd rather say  the majority wants relatively small and cheap camera. it happens to be apsc now, but it is not the customer's decision, even though many of them do not even know what the difference is, but currently there are no options (maybe a 6d or 8d as cheap FF?). I'd prefer FF but not in the size and price of a 5d.
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
Very true. My point was that cropped bodies are well provided for at the moment where as those after a non gripped full frame with more than one useable AF point are not.

Best summary in the least amount of words :D
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Crop sensors sell by far the largest number of DSLR camera bodies, so a ton of people want them.

I'd rather say  the majority wants relatively small and cheap camera. it happens to be apsc now, but it is not the customer's decision, even though many of them do not even know what the difference is, but currently there are no options (maybe a 6d or 8d as cheap FF?). I'd prefer FF but not in the size and price of a 5d.

You might try reading Canons 2011 FY financial report.  Demand for DSLR's continues to increase while sales of point and shoot remain flat.  You will also note that in dollar value, DSLR sales far outstrip point and shoot sales. Canon's prediction doe DSLR sales was a whopping 69% of the camera sales dollars.

"Within the Consumer Business Unit, although Canon was affected by supply shortages caused by the quake and flooding, efforts to ramp up production and boost sales in response to robust demand resulted in significant
increases in year-on-year sales volumes for such digital SLR cameras as the competitively priced EOS Digital
Rebel T3i/T2i/T3, along with the EOS 5D Mark II and the new EOS 60D advanced-amateur models. As for
compact digital cameras, while such models as the PowerShot ELPH 100 HS/300 HS, PowerShot SX230 HS and
PowerShot ELPH 310 HS recorded healthy sales, unit sales for the year declined due to sluggish markets in
developed countries and the impact on production following the earthquake and floods."

Beautor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
For the type of photography I do (sports, kids, and some landscape) I enjoy having a crop camera that gives me a little more reach. I'm not a pro and am not selling prints, so at this point I'm very happy with the image quality of my 40D. At this moment the camera highest on my wish list is the 7D.

My wife on the other hand does a lot of studio/portrait type of shooting and would really benefit from a full-frame camera. Right now we don't have the money to get her there, but hopefully in a year or so we can upgrade her from her 60D into a 5D mkii. I seriously doubt (assuming I don't win the lotto) that we'll be in the market for the 5Diii or x or whatever it will be called.

Our biggest investments to date have been in upgrading our glass. I'd rather have good quality glass in front of an older camera than vice versa.
Simply a hobbyist with an expensive hobby.
40D & 60D, 24-70L, 70-200 F4L, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 No-VC

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
I realise I am in the minority, but I am NOT currently in the market for FF body (not that I wouldn’t like one, just I have not got the glass or the money), but am dieing to replace my banged up 450D.
So what do folks think the next cropped bodies will be like? Is there anyone else out there who wants one?

No, you are not in the minority! There are many out there who think this also.

No I don't want a cropped sensor.. its like asking does anyone want the same fuel economy but less horsepower..

That's a false analogy. Grad you full-frame camera, shoot an image of a distant heron (20 meters); from the same point, mount a 7D on the same lens, and shoot the same picture. The bird will be much larger in the 7D's frame. Go ahead and crop the FF in post processing; you will not have the pixels tow work with it the way you would with a 7D.

If you want cheaper FF, get an old used film rebel for about 20 bucks. Otherwise, you won't get a cheaper FF. The 5D was revolutionary in part because it was a cheap FF. The "I want to kill the 7D to bring about a cheaper FF with 7D AF" cry many are echoing on these forums is not even realistic.
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
Yes, i want a cropped sensor... a 7D mk2 that use a APS-H sensor ( cropped :) ) and the ability to use EF-s lenses.
well, I'm afraid that's not possible. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C. You need FF lenses for APS-H... ::)
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
Yes, i want a cropped sensor... a 7D mk2 that use a APS-H sensor ( cropped :) ) and the ability to use EF-s lenses.
well, I'm afraid that's not possible. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C. You need FF lenses for APS-H... ::)

Indeed. Even if they did work, there would be serious vignetting. The short back focus might get in the mirror's way, anyway.
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »