December 15, 2017, 09:05:09 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark III Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2]  (Read 53717 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
I always though the biggest miss in the 7D2 was putting DPAF in there but leaving out the touchscreen to make it sing.  Touch to focus is terrific. 

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »

Lurker

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
Lets not forget the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

I don't know that Canon said specifically which products were delayed/impacted but I'm pretty sure they acknowledged that facilities and capabilities took a hit.  The 7D II came out much later than expected at the time and there was the unusual, if not unprecedented, 7D update that was more than just fixes.
It seems misguided to expect the 7DII-7DIII refresh period to be in any way related to the 7D-7DII refresh period.

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
Please Canon, less focus on video features and more on improving image quality, noise, high ISO, sharpness  performance.

Low ISO IQ will be improved almost certainly. High ISO IQ... well, you're fighting against physics there. Expecting any large improvements there is just not realistic.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Auto AF tine tuning? Oh, apparently Canon doesn't think we want that.

From what I have read from people who actually used that on the Nikon weren't particularly impressed with it. Seems like one of those 'nice ideas in theory but needs much more work in practice'.

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
The main issue is whether it will have a low pass filter or not. The 7D line is analogous to Nikon's D500 and that Nikon has been moving sports and wildlife photographers over as the lack of filter makes it able to render far more detail than the 7D2. The 7D3 is going to have to either have no filter or have the filter but break new ground in APS-C resolution (think 30mp+ to overcome the filter) to stay competitive. With a filter on the current 24mp limit, the Nikon will continue to be the best choice for sports & wildlife.

The time for for 4K was in the 6DII which is more likely to be used as a wedding camera
A) The 6D2 only has one card slot; it's not a wedding camera.
B) The "time for 4K" was every camera in the last 18 months or so, but looking forward, it makes most sense for the 90D and 7D3 to get it over the 6D2 which is primarily set as a stills upgrade and a manufacturer's replacement of the 5D3.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:44:29 PM by aceflibble »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
The 6D2 only has one card slot; it's not a wedding camera.

Rubbish. Every time this talk of 'second card slot' comes up it is clear there are many pros who don't think a second slot is important.
And even if it is not one that some pros look to as a primary camera,if you are saying lack of dual slots remove it as a back up I would venture you don't really know what you are talking about.

B) The "time for 4K" was every camera in the last 18 months or so, but looking forward, it makes most sense for the 90D and 7D3 to get it over the 6D2 which is primarily set as a stills upgrade
And the 7D3 would not be primarily a stills camera?
Jeez, we've had 50+ pages of discussion on this for the 6D2 that is only just been released and you are already critcising Canon on this issue for a camera that is not even going to be announced for another year...?

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
Lets not forget the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

I don't know that Canon said specifically which products were delayed/impacted but I'm pretty sure they acknowledged that facilities and capabilities took a hit.  The 7D II came out much later than expected at the time and there was the unusual, if not unprecedented, 7D update that was more than just fixes.
It seems misguided to expect the 7DII-7DIII refresh period to be in any way related to the 7D-7DII refresh period.

Canon has been implementing an major upgrading of sensor technology,  including touchscreen focussing, on sensor ADC, and PDAF across its camera line. It seems likely that some disruption of this strategy influenced what features the 7DIi did or did not have, as well as the timing of its release.  The disruption could have been by the earthquake, or it could have been from unanticipated problems in the implementation of some features, which were then left out of the 7DII.

In any case, the 7DIii could become something of a catchup camera to get things back on track, which could lead to a 7DIII showing up sooner rather than later.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »
Auto AF tine tuning? Oh, apparently Canon doesn't think we want that.

From what I have read from people who actually used that on the Nikon weren't particularly impressed with it. Seems like one of those 'nice ideas in theory but needs much more work in practice'.

If the future is mirrorless EFV, what does that say about the future of AF fine tuning?

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
The main issue is whether it will have a low pass filter or not. The 7D line is analogous to Nikon's D500 and that Nikon has been moving sports and wildlife photographers over as the lack of filter makes it able to render far more detail than the 7D2. The 7D3 is going to have to either have no filter or have the filter but break new ground in APS-C resolution (think 30mp+ to overcome the filter) to stay competitive. With a filter on the current 24mp limit, the Nikon will continue to be the best choice for sports & wildlife.

The time for for 4K was in the 6DII which is more likely to be used as a wedding camera
B) The "time for 4K" was every camera in the last 18 months or so, but looking forward, it makes most sense for the 90D and 7D3 to get it over the 6D2 which is primarily set as a stills upgrade and a manufacturer's replacement of the 5D3.

Not a wedding camera yet Canon's own site has sample images from the 6D II of brides in their gowns.......interesting.

There are plenty of people taking pictures at weddings who are not doing it for the money.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »
The main issue is whether it will have a low pass filter or not...Nikon has been moving sports and wildlife photographers over as the lack of filter makes it able to render far more detail than the 7D2.

Seriously? You really think that's a big issue?

I'm not enthusiastic about battling a bunch of moire patterns in bird feathers.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »

Not a wedding camera yet Canon's own site has sample images from the 6D II of brides in their gowns.......interesting.

There are plenty of people taking pictures at weddings who are not doing it for the money.

There are plenty of professional wedding photographers who have used cameras not capable of recording images in duplicate.  Think 5DII.  Think D700.  Think decades of film photography.   :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Since when has matching or exceeding Nikon, or anyone else for that matter, been a priority for Canon? Not bashing or trying to start a war, but if that was a concern they should have made more dramatic changes to the 6D to compete with the upcoming D750 replacement....or for that matter the current D750.

Broadly, you are correct, but the 6D1 sold like gangbusters regardless of any spec shortcomings vs. Nikon's D610 or D750. 

I think it's a segment by segment sort of call by Canon corporate.  If Canon has data that is showing the D500 + 200-500 is actually stealing market share in this segment, one would logically think Canon might change their plans and bring the 7D3 forward in the pipeline.  Again, we have zero data to back that up, but it's one potential reason why a 7D3 might come sooner rather than later.

Another potential reason is, as I believe unfocused pointed out, that the market dynamic of (a) Nikon leaving this 'top APS-C'/birding segment to rot for many years and the (b) strange mid-cycle 7D1 firmware-to-extend-the-lifecycle move might mean that our normal 'crystal ball based on their normal cycle time' retrospective looks might not be so telling.  It's possible this was when the 7D3 was always going to come out regardless of the D500.

I still contend this is unexpectedly soon for a 7D3 and this rumor seems suspect at first glance -- but who knows?  It may happen.

- A
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:27:06 PM by ahsanford »

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
The main issue is whether it will have a low pass filter or not...Nikon has been moving sports and wildlife photographers over as the lack of filter makes it able to render far more detail than the 7D2.

Seriously? You really think that's a big issue?

I'm not enthusiastic about battling a bunch of moire patterns in bird feathers.

I think it's a big issue. And having taken 50,000+ photos on the 5DSR I've yet to find a single image that has been ruined by moire patterns. I'm sure it *could* happen. But the clear advantages in image resolution outweigh the marginal risks to me.

However, I don't think Canon are brave enough to do a 7D III without the filter just yet because people are scared about this, and I can't see them doing two versions. So I'd suspect it will stay.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
However, I don't think Canon are brave enough to do a 7D III without the filter just yet because people are scared about this, and I can't see them doing two versions. So I'd suspect it will stay.

Also:  Canon's investment in DPAF (and how it gives Canon a huge leg up for amateur / enthusiast video work) will make it really hard to offer just an AA free camera.

As much as the 5D2 legacy of being groundbreaking with video in relatively affordable SLRs may be RIP, the notion that every SLR is also a fine tool for video has not and will not go away anytime soon.

- A

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »

There is a photographer around here that uses a 70D for weddings and gets paid. Does lots of weddings and boudoir work. Any camera can be a wedding camera. I don't think Canon says, "We've got to make a wedding camera." I think the conversation revolves around the technology which makes the cameras versatile and useful in most any situation.
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »