December 16, 2017, 12:10:07 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark III Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2]  (Read 53797 times)

goldenhusky

• EOS Rebel SL2
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
Good job again CR after all the rumor has to go on isn't it  ;) I do not expect Canon to release 7D3 in 2018 and if they did that will be nice but I have no interest in this camera unless Canon bumps up video specs which most likely it is not going to happen. The next camera I am interested in is 5DsR2. I guess that will not happen until late 2019 or 2020.

My guess on 7D3 specs are
24mp
DPAF
CF and SD
fixed touch screen
May be a newer focus system
4k 30p MJPEG
2 or 3 more FPS
I would be happy to be proven wrong on some of the specs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »
well, house insurance is mandatory for a mortgage.

I genuinely did not know that. I've learned something today!
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

Cthulhu

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
...when's the last time a product line got refreshed faster than it did before?  I'm hard pressed to think of when that was...

...yes, the 7D3 could absolutely come next year, but it would be rather un-Canon-like to do so.   If it did, one would logically think the D500 + 200-500 combo was indeed doing market share damage to Canon such that it felt compelled to shake things up with their pipeline...

I think the 7D and 7D II timeline is misleading. There were a couple of unique factors from what I can tell. First, Nikon all but abandoned the market at the time, leaving the 7D with no competition. Second, there is some evidence that Canon was undertaking major changes in its manufacturing that may have delayed development of the 7DII. The firmware release of the 7D 1/2 was certainly unusual and kind of screws up any timeline for the 7D series.

Still, even with all that factored in, the refresh does seem to be coming sooner than expected (if the rumor is correct). I don't doubt for a minute that the D500 may have something to do with that -- although in terms of actual performance, the 7DII holds its own against the newer D500. (The sample photograph someone posted above that was shot with a D500 doesn't show anything that couldn't be done with a 7DII)

I would add that I think Canon did make a couple of errors with the 7DII by not including a full touch screen, full wifi and multiple f8 focus points. The fact that they released the wifi card is pretty strong evidence that they know they make a mistake on that front.

Finally, perception can be everything and even though the 7DII gives up very little ground to the D500, that is not what many people think. So I agree Canon may be feeling some competitive pressure.

If they release the 7DIII with a 500mm f5.6 "L" zoom that sells for $3,000 or less they will recapture any lost ground and then some. I personally hope they steer away from a cheap "consumer" zoom like Nikon's.

I'm sorry but the D500 wipes the floor with the 7d2 in terms of image quality and performance, while having all the bells and whistles. It is exactly what I hoped the 7d2 would have been  and I'd be very syrprised if Canon hasn't been working hard to best it.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »

The leading photographers and photo professional associations should take the lead and raise the bar in calling on industry to support compulsory dual redundant card standard in professional settings.

And what is a professional setting?

A pro uses whatever the right tool for the job is..... GoPros have been used to shoot scenes in Hollywood blockbusters, they are used in the Indy circuit.... I use a 6D in the anechoic chamber.... others use rebels at weddings... P/S cameras get used at national (and Olympic level) sporting events because they can be but in awkward places and controlled by WiFi.... and the drone we use for inspection work can not lift a 1DX2 and L glass....

There is no such thing as a pro camera. That is marketing hype..... For what you wish to be true, then EVERY camera needs a dual redundant slot and there can be no way for the photographer to bypass it. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »

I'm sorry but the D500 wipes the floor with the 7d2 in terms of image quality and performance, while having all the bells and whistles. It is exactly what I hoped the 7d2 would have been  and I'd be very syrprised if Canon hasn't been working hard to best it.

Of course it does.... it is newer.....

And the 7D3 will be better than the D500....

And the successor to the D500 will be better than the 7D3...

And so on, and so on, and so on....

Both are great cameras and you can't go wrong with either!
The best camera is the one in your hands

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
The leading photographers and photo professional associations should take the lead and raise the bar in calling on industry to support compulsory dual redundant card standard in professional settings.

the cameras aren't redundant, unless the buffers are nonvolatile memory and redundant as well. with cameras with 200+ shot buffers, thinking dual cards will protect you is like getting free antivirus software and leaving your firewall wide open.

it's an idiotic assumption, and you *STILL* can't guarantee that if the camera powers off at exactly the wrong moment that both cards aren't hosed simply being is that if they are writing at the same time, there's a high degree of certainty that they are *wear leveling* at the same time. if power dies during wear leveling, undesirable events may occur.

to have "redundant" cards as you put it, you'd have to have nonvolatile memory, change the write API for SD/CF cards to not perform wear leveling asynchronously, and for the camera to to a "read verify" of the image before removing it from said nonvolatile memory.

Since that will never be done, the protection offered by dual cards is convenient, however it's certainly not redundant.

Everyone *SHOULD* be rotating their SD/CF cards anyways, because they DO wear out over time.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:12:18 PM by rrcphoto »

Khufu

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
As somebody who's never been remotely emotionally invested in the APSC-Overkill line known as the 7D series, and having watched the 3-4 year cycle of "The Mark II is coming!" rumours with great amusement prior to its actual announcement, I'm quite confident in saying rumours of the Mark III coming any time before 2019 seem ridiculous...

The 7D2 is doing fine. It's not going anywhere and it's not due to. I see someone posted a timeline which pretended the 7D was a 2010 camera; it wasn't. I was in HK in 2009 and it was all the rage back then... Maaaybe the Mark III shall be a very late 2018 release or announcement but I can't imagine Canon are in a hurry to suggest the 7D2 isn't the camera for whoever these Full-Frame-oblivious fanatics are who buy so many units... In my experience they're snapped up by anxious-to-be-professionals who don't yet realise they're not actually the best tool for the job; yeah, they mostly want to be event photographers but the camera store convinced them they want a 7D2...

I'm waffling, I don't really care about this camera series and it's not going anywhere yet anyway, guys ;)
5D3 // EOS M2 & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000  // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »

rrcphoto

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
As somebody who's never been remotely emotionally invested in the APSC-Overkill line known as the 7D series, and having watched the 3-4 year cycle of "The Mark II is coming!" rumours with great amusement prior to its actual announcement, I'm quite confident in saying rumours of the Mark III coming any time before 2019 seem ridiculous...

The 7D2 is doing fine. It's not going anywhere and it's not due to. I see someone posted a timeline which pretended the 7D was a 2010 camera; it wasn't. I was in HK in 2009 and it was all the rage back then... Maaaybe the Mark III shall be a very late 2018 release or announcement but I can't imagine Canon are in a hurry to suggest the 7D2 <snip>

in feb-march the 7D2 is 3.5 years old.  no earthquake no tsunami to disrupt schedules.   Canon replaced 1 series bodies quicker than that in the past.  there's no reason they won't update the 7D if they feel the need to do so.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
Please Canon, less focus on video features and more on improving image quality, noise, high ISO, sharpness  performance. While the upgrade in af system and other features where great in the 7Dii, I was always disappointed in any image quality improvements there where. The time for for 4K was in the 6DII which is more likely to be used as a wedding camera and you missed the boat on that one. Just my opinion.

You do understand that this site is NOT associated with Canon in any way.  So, if you have opinions for Canon, you should contact Canon.

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Rubbish. Every time this talk of 'second card slot' comes up it is clear there are many pros who don't think a second slot is important.
And even if it is not one that some pros look to as a primary camera,if you are saying lack of dual slots remove it as a back up I would venture you don't really know what you are talking about.
You've clearly never had a card fail on a professional job, costing you that job; I have. So has every other professional I know. The only people who don't think it is important are the lucky few who have so far, by sheer blind luck, not had a card fail on you. One day it will fail on you and sod's law says it will always happen to your most vital files, and then you'll wish you'd had a second card slot to save you from this day-ruining, week-ruining, month-ruining, year-ruining, sometimes even career-ruining mishap.

You also don't get mugged every time you leave the house, but that doesn't mean you should feel safe walking around the city at night waving your wallet and phone in the air. Just because you've been lucky so far and/or you have the blessed feeling that nothing will ever go wrong for you does not magically protect you from it ever happening.

And the 7D3 would not be primarily a stills camera?
No, that's not what I said or even implied. Reading comprehension is your friend; stay in school, kids.

Not a wedding camera yet Canon's own site has sample images from the 6D II of brides in their gowns.......interesting.
Canon also has advertised entry-level SLRs and kit lenses with photos of wild tigers; that doesn't mean those cameras and lenses are going to be doing much wildlife photography, or be any good at it.

You people sure do have a habit of confusing corporate marketing with reality.

Azteck5000

• Canonflex
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
 :-[ Well I was going to get the 6dMKII but now I am going to wait for the 7D MK III and I am sure by then the new 90d or 5D MK V will be coming out so I might as well hold on for that and awh hell I guess that's why I still have the original 5d

rrcphoto

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
:-[ Well I was going to get the 6dMKII but now I am going to wait for the 7D MK III and I am sure by then the new 90d or 5D MK V will be coming out so I might as well hold on for that and awh hell I guess that's why I still have the original 5d

lol

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
Canon should improve on their Intelligent Tracking and Recognition algorithm for optical viewfinder shooting. I'll like to see them improve on this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »
Moving all sensors to the new sensor tech is likely more cost-effective.
So, these updates are definitely pending.

My feeling is that the 5DS(R) successor(s) will be announced right before Photokina next year.
And the 7DIII will likely be announced sometime before that.

I'm not seeing a 90D announcement anytime soon, though.

Very reasonable.

A high DR (@low ISO), high pixel count camera is highly desired by landscape photographers.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
You've clearly never had a card fail on a professional job, costing you that job; I have.

Well, you probably shouldn't buy a camera with one card slot, then.  But then, you also shouldn't think you have the right determine how others should choose and use their gear...yet you seem perfectly ok doing just that.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »