November 22, 2017, 08:57:42 PM

Author Topic: Analysis of RAW samples at Fred Miranda show weak DR  (Read 169663 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Analysis of RAW samples at Fred Miranda show weak DR
« Reply #1020 on: August 13, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
Are there any reasons the focusing wouldn't have the same performance wise as in the 80d? Obvious the spread is smaller than on the crop, but other than that, I was under the impression it was borrowed directly, so would have essentially the same performance?

Different processor, different firmware.  But probably no different, and if so, not worse.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1020 on: August 13, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »

ritholtz

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #1021 on: August 13, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
And now a very weak review of the autofocus from DPR it really seems as if the upgrade is just the flippy touch screen.

When DPR 'tested' the 1D X II AF system, they criticized it for performing exactly as Canon states it should (e.g., automatic point selection initially selecting the closest subject), and used settings which Canon explicitly recommends against (e.g., Spot AF with moving subjects).  Too hard for them to RTFM, I guess.  DPR is already biased against Canon, and when you factor in their incompetence at using Canon's AF systems, I'd take anything they say about Canon AF performance with a few grains of salt.  About this many should do the trick. 

Are there any reasons the focusing wouldn't have the same performance wise as in the 80d? Obvious the spread is smaller than on the crop, but other than that, I was under the impression it was borrowed directly, so would have essentially the same performance?
Based on dpr focusing tests 80d also did pretty bad. They suppose to be redoing those tests by selecting initial focus point.  They seem to test/print only with all points auto mode in view finder tests and ignore rest of the stuff. It always comes down to canon auto mode with all points vs Nikon 3d focusing. I think Nikon has option to pick the face in view finder.  In their recent comparison between sl2 vs d3400, they even mentioned strengths of Nikon 3d focusing system when compared to Canon sl2. But it is Nikon 11 points focusing system vs Canon 9 focusing points. How much difference 3d focusing makes only with 11 points vs Canon 9 focusing points.

70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

ritholtz

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #1022 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
If you are stuck with Canon gear, DPR helps to make switch less painful. I think they are slowly turning in to news aggregator like specific gear rumor websites rather than spending serious time on gear reviews.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4815339354/sony-trade-up-program-gets-you-500-plus-trade-in-value-towards-a-new-a9
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #1023 on: August 14, 2017, 06:09:05 PM »
Someone will get some really good C/N cameras for cheap.  Good scheme - Until folk find out the grass isn't so totally green on the Sony side.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #1024 on: August 14, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
If you are stuck with Canon gear, DPR helps to make switch less painful. I think they are slowly turning in to news aggregator like specific gear rumor websites rather than spending serious time on gear reviews.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4815339354/sony-trade-up-program-gets-you-500-plus-trade-in-value-towards-a-new-a9

On the A9 deal, it all depends what they give you for your old Canon/Nikon.  Chances are, the trade in values won't be super awesome.

The A7RII, that's pretty cool, if you're in the market for one.  Just go find someone who will sell you an old, barely-working ILC for $50... or free... and presto, a few hundred bucks off :D

I wonder how many people are trading in the Leica M10 for an extra $500 off :D

Someone will get some really good C/N cameras for cheap.  Good scheme - Until folk find out the grass isn't so totally green on the Sony side.

Jack

You think?  I'd imagine they'd use them for internal R&D or destroy them... they wouldn't want more C/N's out there, right?

Jack Douglas

« Reply #1025 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »
Well they're asking for 1DX2, 6D2 etc. as trade -  destroy?!  Or are we to assume that no one having better gear is foolish enough?

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #1026 on: August 16, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »
Well they're asking for 1DX2, 6D2 etc. as trade -  destroy?!  Or are we to assume that no one having better gear is foolish enough?

Jack

Well some $6000+ Leica's too :D  I think they're on the list, just to be on the list, frankly, because nobody is going to trade in their 1DX2 for a $500 discount (if they're going to get an a9 and own a 1DX2, the $500 will be neither here nor there).

What I meant is that I doubt the traded-in 1DX2 will go back "onto the market".  Sony could use them for internal R&D, but they wouldn't want the possibility that they could end up being resold, and re-enter the public market, because after all, the purpose of the rebate is to get rid of (one) high-end camera in favor of a Sony one.  If I were a Sony employee, and happy with my Sony A9, but I got a cheap 1DX2, I might be sorely tempted to turn that into a Christmas bonus.

On the cameras like A7RII, they'll take any working camera, and I assume Sony doesn't want any of those to go back into the used camera market either, so destruction would seem like a reasonable thing to do, if they don't have a use for it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1026 on: August 16, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »

Jack Douglas

« Reply #1027 on: August 16, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »

Jack

Well some $6000+ Leica's too :D  I think they're on the list, just to be on the list, frankly, because nobody is going to trade in their 1DX2 for a $500 discount (if they're going to get an a9 and own a 1DX2, the $500 will be neither here nor there).

What I meant is that I doubt the traded-in 1DX2 will go back "onto the market".  Sony could use them for internal R&D, but they wouldn't want the possibility that they could end up being resold, and re-enter the public market, because after all, the purpose of the rebate is to get rid of (one) high-end camera in favor of a Sony one.  If I were a Sony employee, and happy with my Sony A9, but I got a cheap 1DX2, I might be sorely tempted to turn that into a Christmas bonus.

On the cameras like A7RII, they'll take any working camera, and I assume Sony doesn't want any of those to go back into the used camera market either, so destruction would seem like a reasonable thing to do, if they don't have a use for it.

Of course.  I was only half serious.  Who knows what they will do and whether this will really prove successful.  One thing for sure there is pressure being brought to bear on Canon by the other innovators and that is a positive thing.

Jack

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #1028 on: August 16, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
Today I announced my own Canon gear trade in program that sure to put pressure on Canon Australia:

Trade in your low mileage, mint Canon 5D IV for my used 5D III and receive instant cashback of A$1,000.00
or
Trade in your low mileage, mint Canon 5D IV for my very slightly used 6D and receive instant cashback of A$1,500.00 and receive brand new Vanguard Pro camera bag valued A$150.
Limited offer, while the stock lasts.

Any takers in Australia?  :D

...One thing for sure there is pressure being brought to bear on Canon by the other innovators and that is a positive thing.

Jack

Jack Douglas

« Reply #1029 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
Now why didn't I think of that!

Jack

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #1030 on: August 16, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »

Jack

Actually Sony sensors are notorious for their love to green color ;)

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #1031 on: August 16, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
I think that was the original Sony plan:

1. Make a camera to sell with no margin
2. Create a buzz and convince people to trade in their expensive cameras for peanuts
3. Sell the cameras from #2 in bulk on eBay
4. ?????
5. Profit

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #1032 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »

Jack

Of course.  I was only half serious.  Who knows what they will do and whether this will really prove successful.  One thing for sure there is pressure being brought to bear on Canon by the other innovators and that is a positive thing.

Jack

Until it dents Canon's sales, it doesn't even put pressure on them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1032 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #1033 on: August 17, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »
Today I announced my own Canon gear trade in program that sure to put pressure on Canon Australia:

Trade in your low mileage, mint Canon 5D IV for my used 5D III and receive instant cashback of A$1,000.00
or
Trade in your low mileage, mint Canon 5D IV for my very slightly used 6D and receive instant cashback of A$1,500.00 and receive brand new Vanguard Pro camera bag valued A$150.
Limited offer, while the stock lasts.

Any takers in Australia?  :D

I have a better deal exclusively for people in the North American ABC market who are having a hard time unloading their Canon 5DIV.

Trade in your working Canon 5DIV of any condition, and I will ship you, at no charge, a camera that I guarantee will not be manufactured by Canon.  Plus, FREE, a your choice of quality Chinese camera bags, filters, nonfunctional IR triggers and tripods that are normally exclusively available only as bundled Amazon stuff, also, guaranteed to not be manufactured by Canon.  Act now, and I will throw in a Gary Fong light modifier.

But for a limited time, I will also extend this deal to our Australian friends!

tomscott

• EOS 5DS R
  • Photographer & Graphic Designer
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #1034 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Im finding my 6DMKII is having focus inconsistencies in the same way documented with the 70D/80D and 7DMKII. Having 3 of these cameras I can attest to this.

When it hits its perfect, it seems to hit and not be tack but slightly off or some cases it thinks it locks on and nothing in the frame is in focus at all like its at infinity.

From what ive read it seems all the cameras with DPAF have the same issues, my 5DMKIII didn't have any of these inconsistencies when it was off, it was my fault. The 7DMKII has the same AF system but I find it often does the above and it can be really annoying and it would seem for no reason.

I shot a wedding on Friday and from looking at the images it seems to do it more than the odd image... but the shots it hit were beautifully sharp.

One way I find you can combat is instead of run and gun 3 shot shooting, quickly press the and depress so it refocuses or set the AFON to AI servo in quick situations.

Obviously the difficulty with portraiture and wide apertures is although your subject is still, people move. Even F2.8 you only get a couple of CM of DOF so if your on the eye then one small sway will result in an off shot. Sounds a bit silly but AI servo with portraits and large aperture lenses can be really useful.

Unfortunately this doesnt solve the issue of the camera being way out with nothing in focus. The only thing that can change this is by changing the acquisition speed by biasing the AF toward critical focus before it it will allow the shutter to be pressed. Although issues with this is it makes the camera slower and doesnt always shoot when you want it to.

I think i need to play with it some more but it should be hitting static subjects with portraiture at 90% or more imo. Im used to having the cases and although you can set the 6DMKII up the same way you have to set custom AF cases to the C buttons.

It could well be that it doesn't play so well with my 24-70mm F2.8 MKI although it is in the group A for usable focus points. My 70-200mm MKII seemed to play nicer and barely had any inconsistencies with it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:46:19 AM by tomscott »
6D MKII, 5D MKIII STOLEN, 7D MKII 70D 17-55mm F2.8 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 L 70-200mm F2.8 II L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II L 2x II 1.4X III 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1034 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »