July 22, 2017, 09:13:38 PM

Author Topic: Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too  (Read 10663 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
According to Adobe, they are putting a priority on speeding up the the performance of Lightroom. The sluggish performance for some people using Lightroom has been a consistent concern for quite some time now.

Adobe on Lightroom Performance:

I would like to address concerns recently voiced by our community of customers around Lightroom performance, as improving performance is our current top priority. We have a history, starting with our first public beta, of working with our customers to address workflow and feature needs, and we’d like to take that same approach regarding your performance concerns. We already understand many of the current pain points around GPU, import performance, certain editing tasks and review workflows and are investing heavily in improving those areas.  Over the past year we’ve added numerous enhancements to address your performance concerns but we understand we will have a lot of work to do to meet your expectations.   If you have feedback or would like to work with the Lightroom team on your most pressing issues, please fill out this survey.

Adobe has apparently heard its customers and everyone should continue sending in concerns about Lightroom’s performance issues.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

jebrady03

• Canon 7D MK II
Re: Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
left a comment on their post that I was BLOWN AWAY that they consider the outpouring of vitriol to be "recent". I mean... c'mon!!!!!!!!
Gear: 5D Mark IV, 5Ds, 135L, 85LII, 35LII, 100L, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 16-35/4L IS, Sigma 50mm Art, 24-105 IS STM, Canon 600 EX II-RT (x2), Yongnuo 600 EX RT-II (x3), ORLIT RoveLight 610 RT, and lots of modifiers

CanonCams

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »
Their HDR merge is a God awful long process.

nonac

• Canon 70D
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
I can't stand how long it takes to edit photos.  They need an interface that lets you quickly cull images like photo mechanic.  I shoot thousands of sports images and I'm so glad I found photo mechanic for the initial culling.  It is blazing fast.  With that said, I would much rather have this ability in one program so I don't have to then transfer what's left over to Lightroom for editing.  Once there of course, the editing really slows things down.  I hope you fix it soon or I'll be looking elsewhere.  I sometimes have to edit and send things at halftime to my media outlet during a game which only provides a few minutes to cull and edit. 
1Dx, 5d Mark III, 7d Mark II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 300 f/2.8L II, 3x 600EX-RT, 2x ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

YuengLinger

• 5DSR
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »
Not sure this is the place to post.  Adobe sites!

I gave up years ago using LR for initial review and culling.  DPP is still warp factors faster for that.

For edits, I don't have much to compare to except PS and plug-ins.  PS is super quick.  Plug-ins are a bit sluggish compared to LR.

We'll see if this is just empty hype or sincere.  Within a decade.   :P

melbournite

• EOS M3
    • Freelance Photographer Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »
This is why I’m still holding on to Aperture with one hand on Capture One. Aperture (which is seven years old) still runs faster than any software I have tried and more intuitive to boot. I wonder why they can’t use the same architecture?

I know I can’t hold on to Aperture forever, (the Mk4 raws don’t work with it) but I will hold on till the end, and/or till some miracle happens, i.e. Lightroom has an overhaul, or Photos gets a Pro Plugin?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:12:02 PM by melbournite »

jthomson

• Canon 70D
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
The very existence of photo mechanic should give them a great big clue  ;D
They need a browse/cull mode where you can look at the embedded JPEGs in the raw files to select discards quickly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »

rwvaughn

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »
The catalog system is bloated and a resource hog.

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »

exactly! that database stuff needs to go. OS could take care of metadata and keywords directly.

Mikehit

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »

exactly! that database stuff needs to go. OS could take care of metadata and keywords directly.

Metadata and keywords are instrumental to the database.
And if the metadata and keywords are in the OS, how would you  transfer things between machines?

docfrance

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Marty France Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
Then there's AfterShot Pro that is blazingly fast and effective.
5D Mk III, 7D, Rebel XT, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 16-35 F4L, 15-85mm EF-S, 24-105mm F4L, 40mm STM, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8L Macro, 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, 100-400mm Mk II, 2X Tele III

Silverstream

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »
My biggest wish for Lightroom as they expand Lightroom mobile(web) to make it a better interface for clients to select which images they want following a shoot.
We need to be able to add a watermark.
We need clients to be able to sort and filter their selections to make it easier for them to whittle down suggestions.
We need them to store the comments made through the web interface actually in the local catalog.
We need to be able to receive clear notifications and sort to see what selections the client has made along with their notes.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
I have no issues at all as to speed, but some users seem to have issues, often with home built computers using high end components.  I learned the hard way that building my own pc is not only expensive, because I used high end components, but more importantly, the components did not always give good performance with some software where as plain  components worked well.  ACDSEE is a different story, it struggles to run nearly as fast as lightroom or photoshop using my common Dell XPS PC.

Software can always be improved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »

Otara

• EOS M3
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »
Totally agree on better culling tool needed.

Chaitanya

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
Along with performance improvements(stability more than speed) we would also like to see new version of standalone lightroom.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »