April 26, 2018, 11:36:39 PM

Author Topic: 3 Legged Thing Releases a Low Cost & Lightweight Universal L Bracket  (Read 9527 times)

symmar22

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: 3 Legged Thing Releases a Low Cost & Lightweight Universal L Bracket
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:01 AM »
Same here, I do 95% of my pictures on a tripod, and this is the most essential part of my gear after the cameras and lenses. No way I'd skip here, since this is the difference between using your tripod or not. Tripod, head an quick release are all an essential part of my workflow, so after years of struggling with cheap or badly designed quick plates, I bit the bullet years ago and invested in RRS gear. Never looked back, it's just perfect and saves me a lot of energy on assignment.

I am an adept of the lever type locking system (vs the screw type) that is much faster therefore I am stuck with the same brand (RRS) for all the plates, but once I swallowed the price tag (I am in Europe so it's even more expensive) I never regretted any of my RRS accessories.

I've got the plates or L brackets for : 5DSr, 5D2, EOS 1v, 100mm Macro L, 70-200 L, and my Leica R and Olympus film cameras. Everything is perfectly fitted, I just grab my tripod and any camera or lens  with a tripod collar, I don't even have to think about it, and IMO it's worth every cent. My RRS quick lever clamp is 7 years old now and works like on the first day.

I could work with less lenses or a cheaper camera, but not without my RRS system.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:26:36 AM by symmar22 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:01 AM »

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 07:34:52 AM »
I have had camera-specific RRS L-brackets in the past. While nice, they are way too expensive, as they are "single use" items, to be thrown away [or sold for close to zero] with every new camera purchase.

So I have long ago stopped buying RRS brackets and plates. Now using carefully some nicely made, really inexpensive [40 €] China plates. Body-specific, 1-piece L-bracket for my 5D III with no-twist lip. Fits fine, no issues whatsoever. For EOS M I just use universal China plates/brackets. Also no issues. Arca-compatible plates also from China. Also no issue.

I would attach 20 kg on any of these brackets and plates and am confident they all would hold it securely.

symmar22

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 04:16:24 AM »
I agree that other brands work too, after all it's only a piece of aluminium. The problem with Arca style plates is that every brand has its own specifications. The are inter-operable as far as you use a screw type clamps. I much prefer the lever type clamp, since when I work, I spend my time putting my camera on and off the tripod, screw type clamps are not acceptable for my use.

If you want a lever type clamp, here you must look for a well designed one, and the RRS one is a masterpiece, ultimately, this is much more important than the L-bracket itself. The drawback is that you are then stuck with one brand, and, agreed, RRS is anything but cheap.

I looked first for the best possible lever clamp (IMO RRS), and went with the L and lens plates that fit with it.

Of course if you prefer the screw type clamp, then your choice is almost unlimited, that's the main advantage of it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »
I noticed that a slight adjustment is required to be able to access the battery door.

Is this a one time adjustment, or must one carry a hex wrench around to be able to access the battery?  Being a skeptic, I don't take anything for granted, even though it seems likely that its a 1 time adjustment.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Interesting wingeathon on Petapixel from the designer.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/21/photo-gear-costs-costs/
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

AUGS

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 07:38:33 PM »

Hmmm.  Not sure this is a "wingeathon".  I think it is pretty accurate.

<rant>
I work in an industry where this is becoming more and more a reality.  Last week I interviewed an international candidate on behalf of my employer.  The candidate indicated they wanted to work for my employer because he had "copied" our designs for a few years.  They then went into great detail of how they did this.  It costs my employer millions of dollars a year to protect our intellectual property against these types of operations.  I have spent hours in courts "defending" my original designs seeking injunctions.

Yet, as photographers, we complain when someone "misuses" our images.  This is no different to the above.  Our photos are our intellectual property.  We own them, and we should take the precautions to protect them.

We need to protect our intellectual property, no matter what form it takes.  And sometimes we need to explain to others why things (eg. costs) are what they are.
</rant>

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »

Hmmm.  Not sure this is a "wingeathon".  I think it is pretty accurate.

<rant>
I work in an industry where this is becoming more and more a reality.  Last week I interviewed an international candidate on behalf of my employer.  The candidate indicated they wanted to work for my employer because he had "copied" our designs for a few years.  They then went into great detail of how they did this.  It costs my employer millions of dollars a year to protect our intellectual property against these types of operations.  I have spent hours in courts "defending" my original designs seeking injunctions.

Yet, as photographers, we complain when someone "misuses" our images.  This is no different to the above.  Our photos are our intellectual property.  We own them, and we should take the precautions to protect them.

We need to protect our intellectual property, no matter what form it takes.  And sometimes we need to explain to others why things (eg. costs) are what they are.
</rant>

Anybody that is trying to claim a simple universal L-Plate costs $100,000 to bring to market is having a whinge. For goodness sake I have a friend who can CAD/CAM as many prototypes as you like in a variety of materials in a weekend as a hobby, he is currently making a 16' RMS Britannic, sister ship to the Titanic, in such detail it is to the plating rivet accurate.

I understand the premise, it is hard to manufacture stuff in 1st world countries when copies are so easy to make and ship from cheaper labour based and unregulated second world countries, but be accurate and truthful. Besides, if he was talking about this thread early on I am a supporter of quality custom products and their price.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »