July 22, 2017, 09:13:46 PM

Author Topic: M-Series Hiking Bagpack  (Read 1928 times)

bf

• EOS M3
M-Series Hiking Bagpack
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:04 AM »
I'm looking for a light bag-pack to put these on for short day hiking:
One M series body
2 lenses + filters + batteries
1LB Tripod
Water (would consider a hydration pack)
Fruit, trail mix etc 
Cellphone+Wallet etc
A light jacket etc

What's your suggestion?
EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

M-Series Hiking Bagpack
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:04 AM »

Larsskv

• Canon 6D
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
Re: M-Series Hiking Bagpack
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »
One M series body
1LB Tripod
Fruit, trail mix etc 
Cellphone+Wallet etc
A light jacket etc

What's your suggestion?

Mindshift rotation packs are perfect for hiking! I have three different models. This is a small one, but will take a dslr as well:

https://youtu.be/zSlnwbxECgg

andrei1989

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW. I have one and i like it mostly. Only 2 things i don't like that much: it sits a bit too high on the back but maybe that can be adjusted and i will try to next time i use it and second the hydration pocket is too rigid and i cannot put inside my 2L bladder when full...have to empty it to about 1.7L...it's very light on its own and can fit quite a lot of stuff along side a camera and lenses
Canon 70D|Canon 15-85mm F/3.5-5.6|Canon 55-250mm IS STM|Canon 40 f/2.8 STM|Samyang 85mm f/1.4|Samyang 35mm f/1.4| Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Khalai

• Canon 7D MK II
  • In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »
LowePro ProTactic series. Amazing ruggedness and customizable ad nauseam with SlipLock accessories. I have medium (350) model, which may be a little too big for MILC, but they have a smaller model as well AFAIK. Also rather thiefproof.
6D | Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE | 24-70/2.8L II | 35/1.4L | 50/1.2L | Zeiss 85/1.4 ZE | 100/2.8L Macro | 70-200/2.8L II

Frodo

• EOS M3
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
The problem with a backpack is ready access to your camera.
I walked across Switzerland and New Zealand's Stewart Island with an M3, 11-22 and 55-200 that fitted easily in a small over-shoulder bag.  Camera and lenses always easily accessible.
This also means you can tailor the backpack to day walks or multi-day hikes
If gear matters: 6D, M3, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6, EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 430EXII, 270EX, Yongnuo 603C

Rocky

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
I walked across Switzerland and New Zealand's Stewart Island with an M3, 11-22 and 55-200 that fitted easily in a small over-shoulder bag.  Camera and lenses always easily accessible.

Plus 1. I carry a shoulder bag for photographic gear on my left hand side and a backpack on my back. This set up has been in every continent. I have a sling bag, use it for a while and found out it is not as convenient as the two bag system. So it is sitting at the bottom of the closet for a long time.

Larsskv

• Canon 6D
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »

Plus 1. I carry a shoulder bag for photographic gear on my left hand side and a backpack on my back. This set up has been in every continent. I have a sling bag, use it for a while and found out it is not as convenient as the two bag system. So it is sitting at the bottom of the closet for a long time.

Seriously, have a look at the Mindshift rotation back packs. You can have your DSLR out and ready to shoot in three seconds, without taking the backpack of your back. They are fantastic.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »

CowGummy

• EOS M3
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
+1 for the Mindshift rotation system. It really is fantastic as it means you don't need to put the backpack down in order to get to your camera and lenses. Also makes changing lenses on the go easier.

One M series body
1LB Tripod
Fruit, trail mix etc 
Cellphone+Wallet etc
A light jacket etc

What's your suggestion?

Mindshift rotation packs are perfect for hiking! I have three different models. This is a small one, but will take a dslr as well:

https://youtu.be/zSlnwbxECgg
5DmkIV   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  100L f2.8 IS Macro  |  430exII

bf

• EOS M3
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:36:51 AM »
Thanks for suggestions. I do have a little shoulder bag (since when I bout EOS M); however in longer or faster hikes I prefer to have a better weight distribution and free hands.

Has anyone used Manfrotto offroad series?
EOS M

Rocky

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
Thanks for suggestions. I do have a little shoulder bag (since when I bout EOS M); however in longer or faster hikes I prefer to have a better weight distribution and free hands.

Has anyone used Manfrotto offroad series?
Most small shoulder bag have belt loop at the back. If yours has them, you can turn you bag into a fanny bag, then you can have the weight distribution that you want. You can rotate it to the front when you want to  access your gear,Just like the Mindshift.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:26:51 PM by Rocky »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »
My hiking bag is on the tinier side, but I'm quite fond of it.

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/flipside-sport-10l-aw-ca

Pros:  Tiny* (narrower than a high school bookbag), it will hold everything the OP wants to bring, highly breathable for sweat, tripod holder (I put a 1L Nalgene bottle in there myself), rain cover, room for a camelback (that's where filters/keys/wallet go), deep enough to put some EF lenses (24-70 f/4, smaller primes, etc.) on their end rather than have to pack them lengthwise, will accommodate a non-gripped SLR with a 70-200/2.8 attached, etc.

* I've learned Tiny is sneakily helpful for hiking in that it sets a pretty hard limit on how much you can get in there -- a 20-30 pound load on your back is entirely doable in your living room as you test out how it feels, but it can be brutal 5+ miles into a hike.  So smaller is better for hiking, IMHO.

Cons (as it pertains to the OP's original question/need):  No internal bag access while you are wearing it / you have to lay it down to open it, and depending on how compressible your light jacket is, it might be tight for space.

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
I was going to say the MindshiftGear rotation packs are a super slick idea but completely overkill / too large for your EOS M need, but they do have a smaller 16L bag if you are packing a fair amount of non-camera gear:

https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-trail

I still think 16L is much too large for an EOS M loadout, but if (for instance) you are packing 2 big meals for a very long hiking day or you are colder weather hiking and need room to carry thicker insulated layers, a bag like this might make sense.

But I still think you're in a 10L sort of size needed for so little / so small gear.  Unless you tell me one of your two lenses is a 150-600.   :o

- A

archiea

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
A sling bag is the best since the Mirrorless cameras are light and they are easy to put in a bag that slings around.

The Turnstyles by think tank photo are good since their are light but they do not satisfy the tripod need.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/turnstyle/products/turnstyle-20-v2

Mind shift gear has a similar design that seems more rugged and it built to handle a tripod:

https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/photocross-10

These sling style bags are best because you can use them as safe lens swapping platform while in the filed by swinging them around and opening a compartment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:14 AM »
These sling style bags are best because you can use them as safe lens swapping platform while in the filed by swinging them around and opening a compartment.

+1 on slings in general -- my preferred bag type for general shooting for that very reason.

But -1 on slings for hiking -- if you are trekking for miles, you generally don't want something rubbing/swaying on your hip/back/side every stride.  Yes, there are waist straps for some shoulder/sling bags, but it doesn't truly immobilize the bag and it will move about a bit with each stride.

To each their own, but when I hike, I go for a centralized + immobilized carry option, which is the backpack.

- A

bf

• EOS M3
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:48 AM »
I was going to say the MindshiftGear rotation packs are a super slick idea but completely overkill / too large for your EOS M need, but they do have a smaller 16L bag if you are packing a fair amount of non-camera gear:

https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-trail

I still think 16L is much too large for an EOS M loadout, but if (for instance) you are packing 2 big meals for a very long hiking day or you are colder weather hiking and need room to carry thicker insulated layers, a bag like this might make sense.

But I still think you're in a 10L sort of size needed for so little / so small gear.  Unless you tell me one of your two lenses is a 150-600.   :o

- A

I agree with you, 10L is a good size. I usually just take 11-22 and 50-200. Sometimes, I also take a fish-eye or EF-50 prime. Water, food, extra layers, and perhaps  climbing shoes, sandals or beer is what occupies the remaining space!
I'd go with your 10L bag if it was a partitioned design with a private door for camera. So far, my short list includes LowPro Sport 200 and MindShift 16L that you introduced. Both are a tad larger than what I need but smallest with the features I look for. 
EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:48 AM »