August 21, 2014, 10:59:52 AM

Author Topic: What must the Japanese think?  (Read 3104 times)

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
What must the Japanese think?
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I am a regular here. I have owned and enjoyed both Nikon and Canon systems.  I find much of the angry hand wringing and somewhat attacking or threatening posts here somewhat surprising. Canon, like Nikon, is a technology company that is very interested in meeting the needs of photographers. That said, it compete in very varied and complex markets with competitors in many industries (think phones, tablets...) making strides to capture a piece of the picture taking puzzle. The offerings of each of the leaders are mind boggling even if we have no interest in most of their products. Someone must as they keep on being refreshed....

I am also frustrated at times with the selection (it is not perfect for my particular needs and budget) but I can't help but be amazed with what my current Canon equipment can do. I have progressed more in the last 6 years of digital work than in the prior 30 of 35mm and dark room work. We live in a great age of tech progress and Canon has delivered beyond what I could ever have imagined...at least that is my POV.

Are all their products priced fairly. No. Are some of their decisions on not providing hoods and other basics with the cameras and lenses sometimes annoying? Yes. Does it seem they are been cheap and predatory at times. Yup, but other companies then spring up with options. Should some basic capabilities be built into the cameras saving us the money and hassle of carrying another item? Yes. All in all, am I happy with the Canon system? Absolutely, and the feedback I get on my pictures now reinforce it on  a regular basis.

I think giving Canon calm and non-threatening feedback (unlike: I am selling all my Canon gear! Goodbye Canon! Hello NIKON! etc.) is something useful for all of us. I have learned a great deal here from experts as to what the future might and should hold as far as potential innovations and features Canon or Nikon could offer. There are many here who better understand both the technical and artistic challenges to guide us and the manufactures to the next great camera and/or lens. Those who post here with positive feedback I'm sure will be more effective in making change. The Japanese with their team and consensus  focused culture probably could benefit from what it is written here especially if it is in form that can accept comfortably.

I am now in the market for the replacement of the 7D but I am not hoping to buy any of the very top bodies (EOS-1D X and 5d III) being offered/discussed as I feel I am both not good enough to properly exploit them and I would like to leave some cash aside to travel to the places I plan to photograph. I still like to see what is coming out and imagine a little piece of that technology will move within reach for me in the near future.

canon rumors FORUM

What must the Japanese think?
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: What must the Japanese think?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
Why do you want to replace the 7D? Maybe we can help you find an alternative.

And yes, people are idiots, "hurr durr they don't cater to my every need", I don't know. I make do with the cam I don't really resent Canon for anything. I've only ever been annoyed at them when my stuff has broken and the 7D came out. That thing makes no sense to me.

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
I think giving Canon calm and non-threatening feedback (unlike: I am selling all my Canon gear! Goodbye Canon! Hello NIKON! etc.) is something useful for all of us.
How do we do that, Bob?

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
That thing makes no sense to me.

Despite still being the best all-round cropper available today...

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
I now have a 40D and I am hoping the replacement of the 7D will provide superior low light performance, improved dynamic range and a more sophisticated focusing system. If it does, I will buy one.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
I think giving Canon calm and non-threatening feedback (unlike: I am selling all my Canon gear! Goodbye Canon! Hello NIKON! etc.) is something useful for all of us.
How do we do that, Bob?

mail, email, web surveys, etc... when you register your gear with canon on their website, they send you periodic emails with surveys... almost everytime you go on their website, you get a pop-up for a questionaire survey regarding their website... leave comments on there... Get their corporate addresses and mail them... people contacted canon religiously after the 5d2 came out wanting 24fps recording on video and they go enough feedback that it was needed, so they gave it to them via firmware... Doing this will get you farther than griping in canonrumors IMO
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
Canon does a lot of market research before launching a new model, and is pretty competitive. 

I look for a new model next week, who knows, it might be something that will suprise us.  Seldom are Canon and nikon far apart in their new models, and rumors are just that, and often miss entirely.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
Honestly, if Canon had put a 15 or 19 point AF system based on the 1Dsmk3 and 5fps in the 5D2 when it was introduced 3+ years ago, how many people here would be complaining about not getting the 5D3 released yet? They could have listed that at $2999 back then and the technology was available to do it.

A camera of that type would be heads and shoulders above todays market for IQ, handling, and ability.  I know I would not trade that for what's on the market today.

So....given that, are we asking for too much?  I don't think so.

KeithR

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
I now have a 40D and I am hoping the replacement of the 7D will provide superior low light performance, improved dynamic range and a more sophisticated focusing system. If it does, I will buy one.
Errr... The 7D already does all of those things compared to the 40D - I own them both.

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »
I'm happy with Canon gear to date and the recent announcements...   I'm no fan boy, just generally happy with what I'm using and see no real reason to swap as I'm quite invested in Canon, but I suspect I'd be the same had I bought a Nikon or Sony or Pentax camera 4 years ago, i.e. Stuck with my first brand - the grass is always greener on the otherside ;-)
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Errr... The 7D already does all of those things compared to the 40D - I own them both.

I know that, but 7D is potentially set for routine replacement.  If the improvements in the replacement are not substantial, then I will buy the existing model of the 7D.

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
Ah, gotcha. I thought you might be holding off in the belief that the 7D isn't already much improved in the areas you mention, compared to the 40D.

Mind you, I'm not sure that the 7D II will be out any time soon myself...

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »

One can dream... :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
This thread is entirely too reasonable. Must be something wrong. :)

However, I don't really imagine that Canon takes much of what is discussed on this site seriously. They may have a few marketing people assigned to monitor photo sites, but doubt they pay a lot of attention. Mostly this site is for entertainment and for sharing ideas and information (or sometimes misinformation).

I also spent most of my life using film and find today's technology stunning. I don't always love the cost, but can't really complain about the quality that is available today. Some things, life flash units, I find absolutely amazing. I think things have advanced in that area even more than in digital cameras over the past 30 years.

The 7D is the finest camera I have ever owned (including an F1). It's much smarter than I am. I love using it and I love the results. Still, I can't wait to see what Canon does with the next generation. Anticipation is at least half the fun.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »

One can dream... :)

We'll see it this year I would bet. It's about to turn 3 years old.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »