July 25, 2014, 04:55:57 PM

Author Topic: Best lens for photographing product...  (Read 8445 times)

John H

Re: Best lens for photographing product...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments! This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted my question.

I'm not completely happy with my photos. I want a high-light down the length of the gun. I have a few ideas about how to do this (and realize it isn't a matter of the lens). It turns out that lighting is complicated.

I will try to rejigger my set up. My current set up is vertical: gun on floor, soft box above, camera squeezed in from side of soft box. The main limitation with a vertical set up is our ceiling! I will try to set things up horizontally and try to shoot from further away.

Once I'm happy with the set up, I'll rent a few lenses from Calumet (SF) to see which work best. Then, I'll buy a lottery ticket, win the lottery, and buy a full frame camera!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
I'd try a 50/1.8 or 50/2.5 and a pano tripod head.

StevenBrianSamuels

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »
MOST $

EF 90mm TS-E if your making enough $$$ (or just have some xtra cash).  But it odes come with a learning curve.

BEST DEAL

The good old and trust 50mm 2.5 & only $250 or so is a bargain.  Sharp. And you can got some nice detail as well. (only at 1/2, doesnt do 1:1 without the convertor but you may not need it).

Just make sure you have the room to back up for those big items!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »