June 18, 2018, 04:15:11 AM

Author Topic: PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor  (Read 68888 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

Khalai

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
Re: PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
Expected. More to come. And honestly, nobody should be surprised. Canon rather asks for that :)
6D | Zeiss 21/2.8 | Canon 24-70/2.8L II | Zeiss 25/2 | Zeiss 35/1.4 | Canon 50/1.2L | Zeiss 50/1.4 | Zeiss 50/2 Makro | Zeiss 85/1.4 | Canon 70-200/2.8L II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Quote from: PetaPixel
With a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years and keeping its best sensors for its own cameras, Canon may need to up its game in a big way if it hopes to stay #1 in digital camera market share, especially among serious and professional photographers. In dynamic range, at least, this new 6D Mark II was not a step in the right direction.

YAPODFC. ::)

I guess he's missed the fact that 'with a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years', Canon has continued to gain market share in recent years.  But hey, why let reality poke it's ugly nose into your personal fantasyland?
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
Dynamic Range turns into Dynamic RAGE ;)

Khalai

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
Dynamic Range turns into Dynamic RAGE ;)

DR = dramatic ranting 8)
6D | Zeiss 21/2.8 | Canon 24-70/2.8L II | Zeiss 25/2 | Zeiss 35/1.4 | Canon 50/1.2L | Zeiss 50/1.4 | Zeiss 50/2 Makro | Zeiss 85/1.4 | Canon 70-200/2.8L II

StudentOfLight

• EOS 5DS R
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »
Meanwhile I'm enjoying my 6D and the 80D.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  18-28mm f/2, 28-85mm f/2, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »

You are not supposed to enjoy Canon products!  >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »

sebasan

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »

A lot of people are doing it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:07:00 PM by sebasan »

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »
Quote from: PetaPixel
With a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years and keeping its best sensors for its own cameras, Canon may need to up its game in a big way if it hopes to stay #1 in digital camera market share, especially among serious and professional photographers. In dynamic range, at least, this new 6D Mark II was not a step in the right direction.

YAPODFC. ::)

I guess he's missed the fact that 'with a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years', Canon has continued to gain market share in recent years.  But hey, why let reality poke it's ugly nose into your personal fantasyland?

That doesn't mean that wedding photographers are not migrating to Nikon.  Anecdotes do not a landslide make, but big market changes can start with small moves. 

It's tiresome to hear the same overblown doomsday rants, but at some point it makes as much sense to not engage as it does to keep saying Canon is the invulnerable, eternal market leader because they never make mistakes.

Orangutan

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:43 PM »
but at some point it makes as much sense to not engage as it does to keep saying Canon is the invulnerable, eternal market leader because they never make mistakes.

No one is saying this.  Many of us are just stating basic facts: Canon continues to succeed in the marketplace.  We can speculate as to why, but we know that falling behind in low-ISO DR has not hurt them at all.  In the end, DSLRs are unitary products, you can't select which features you want.  You buy it or you don't buy it; ranting about it does nothing.  I have yet to decide whether I'll buy this body.

monkey44

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
I believe Canon keeps its market share because of its lenses, and most folks want to buy the same camera and lens.  How many want to go thru the hassle of buying one camera brand and a different lens, and then hope it is compatible on all levels ...  Not everyone is tech smart enough to modify or manipulate camera and lens tech.

The majority of buyers are not pros, they are Jon and Jean Public ... they want a camera and lens that comes with no hassles, fits without adapters, and shoots memories.  And many people today buy a walkaround lens and a telephoto lens, at least. 

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:13:30 PM »
A lot of people are doing it.

always surprises me how many are still shooting a D90!
... the first Nikon body with cleaned up shadow areas, AFAIK.

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »
but at some point it makes as much sense to not engage as it does to keep saying Canon is the invulnerable, eternal market leader because they never make mistakes.

No one is saying this.  Many of us are just stating basic facts: Canon continues to succeed in the marketplace.  We can speculate as to why, but we know that falling behind in low-ISO DR has not hurt them at all.  In the end, DSLRs are unitary products, you can't select which features you want.  You buy it or you don't buy it; ranting about it does nothing.  I have yet to decide whether I'll buy this body.

I suspect a few more small numbers of users would have drifted to ABC if Canon did not bring out the 5d4 and 80d when they did.  Or not improve the noise character of the 7D2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »
I believe Canon keeps its market share because of its lenses, and most folks want to buy the same camera and lens.  How many want to go thru the hassle of buying one camera brand and a different lens, and then hope it is compatible on all levels ...  Not everyone is tech smart enough to modify or manipulate camera and lens tech.

The majority of buyers are not pros, they are Jon and Jean Public ... they want a camera and lens that comes with no hassles, fits without adapters, and shoots memories.  And many people today buy a walkaround lens and a telephoto lens, at least.

Reasonable points.
Canon has always been good at marketing to the entry level and many of those buyers do not go on much farther in the purchase or upgrade cycle.

I sold an old 50mm lens to someone last week who was still perfectly happy shooting their old Rebel XT.
It was good enough for what they wanted.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
Or download the files and process them optimally and see how good or bad it actually is. No, why would we do that when we can spend so much time shouting at each other?

Anyway, I know half of you will pull this to pieces but....

1st shot. So here is a crop of the 100iso shot from the 6D MkII vs the D750 both lifted 5 stops, and it's link.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range

2nd shot. I downloaded the 6D MkII file and processed it close to optimally and this is the result. I took five minutes to do this, given a few hours I could do better and work out profiles for each iso and lift amount that could be saved as presets in LR.

You cannot apply the same 'standard' settings to different cameras and say look at the differences. You have to process each file optimally!

When you do you get very different results. When will people stop eating this sh!t up?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »