September 22, 2014, 10:40:47 AM

Author Topic: What's wrong with the microadjustment?!  (Read 3940 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
What's wrong with the microadjustment?!
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
Hi guys!

I just bought another 5d2 waiting for the 1d X.

Now the 5d I have from before I microadjusted my lenses in 20 minutes and they simply work.

But for the second one I get CONSISTENT results that are WAY different if I focus from infinity down or from MFD and up.

Goes for all lenses. If I go from mfd and up it backfocuses, and if I go from infinity down, it frontfocuses. So if I adjust to make one of the accurate, the other is completely off...

Anyone know about this and how to fix it?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

What's wrong with the microadjustment?!
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with the microadjustment?!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:10 PM »
I'd try to document it in some way, and either return to Canon for repair, or exchange it.  You might also try a complete camera reset before returning it.

I generally see some differences when focusing from infinity down compared with mfd-up, so I always microfocus from infinity down.  That way, I can do the same when I shoot, first focus on a distant object, then on the actual subect rather than the other way around.  Once I do that, I generally don't worry any longer, because the focus distance doesn't change much.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
Hi guys!

I just bought another 5d2 waiting for the 1d X.

Now the 5d I have from before I microadjusted my lenses in 20 minutes and they simply work.

But for the second one I get CONSISTENT results that are WAY different if I focus from infinity down or from MFD and up.

Goes for all lenses. If I go from mfd and up it backfocuses, and if I go from infinity down, it frontfocuses. So if I adjust to make one of the accurate, the other is completely off...

Anyone know about this and how to fix it?

I think that's just normal and is called "focus breathing".  it's because certain elements move as you go from MFD to infinity.  I'd try to calibrate lenses either on the setting you know you'll use the most, or at a mid-point.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
Thanks guys, but really, this isn't  problem on the other 5d nor was it a problem with the mkIV. I can't use my 24, 50 or 85 on this camera, I can't keep remembering to focus on infinity and then to the subject, it might work, but if that's the way it must be done I'm throwing it from a roof-top.

I use the SpyderLensCal, and it moves a whole, full, step, which is crazy....

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
when in doubt, send the camera into canon under warranty and have them double check it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
when in doubt, send the camera into canon under warranty and have them double check it.

No warranty anymore I'm afraid.

What worries me is that usually I can get it somewhat useable with the LensCal, but once I get out in daylight and some distances, it's way off again. I have pushed the MA to the middle so the difference between mfd and up and infinity and down are minimal, so if they work with greater distance in daylight tomorrow, I can at least be able to use it.

Good thing this is just a temporary camera.....

Does the problem get less apparent if I adjust focus from not at the actual mfd or infnity but somewhere closer to where I have my subject placed? Maybe it's because I've started to pull the ring to each extreme when shooting the test? This isn't how I normally operate the focus, it's "always" somewhere in between....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:57:28 PM by Viggo »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »

What worries me is that usually I can get it somewhat useable with the LensCal, but once I get out in daylight and some distances, it's way off again. I have pushed the MA to the middle so the difference between mfd and up and infinity and down are minimal, so if they work with greater distance in daylight tomorrow, I can at least be able to use it.

ohhhhhhh bought it used?  Do you have CPS?  Is there any condition/situation where you can get consistent results or is it across the board off?  If need be, you may have to bite the bullet with canons repair, or see if you can resell it for more than you bought it for?  =)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »
I think that's just normal and is called "focus breathing".  it's because certain elements move as you go from MFD to infinity.  I'd try to calibrate lenses either on the setting you know you'll use the most, or at a mid-point.

Focus breathing is when the focal length of a zoom lens changes slightly when the point of focus is changed...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:53:38 PM by funkboy »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
Thanks guys, but really, this isn't  problem on the other 5d nor was it a problem with the mkIV. I can't use my 24, 50 or 85 on this camera, I can't keep remembering to focus on infinity and then to the subject, it might work, but if that's the way it must be done I'm throwing it from a roof-top.

It really does not sound right.  The difference should be small, if any.  If a full camera reset doesn't fix it, something is wrong.  There are some internal tables in the camera with lens information that can get scrambled, I've fixed my 1D MK III with a reset, but never had a issue with my 5D MK II.

I wouldn't sell it to anyone without fixing it first, you already know how much pain it has caused you.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

ohhhhhhh bought it used?  Do you have CPS?  Is there any condition/situation where you can get consistent results or is it across the board off?  If need be, you may have to bite the bullet with canons repair, or see if you can resell it for more than you bought it for?  =)

It gives the same exact results from mfd to 1m (where my LensCal is) every single time. It does the same thing from infnity, only those two aren't at the same spot.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »

It really does not sound right.  The difference should be small, if any.  If a full camera reset doesn't fix it, something is wrong.  There are some internal tables in the camera with lens information that can get scrambled, I've fixed my 1D MK III with a reset, but never had a issue with my 5D MK II.

I wouldn't sell it to anyone without fixing it first, you already know how much pain it has caused you.

Thanks, I'll try a complete reset, I think the guy had done that before I got it, but.

One thing is that the 5d that works have the 2.08 firmware, the "new" one has the 2.11. Is there a way to "downdate" the firmware? I think I've tried before, but can never find the older file.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
how are you doing micro adjust at infinity? i cant see being able to get a clear enough picture at this range

I micro adjust all my lenses at MFD 45 degrees to a calibration sheet and the zooms I calibrate at the longest focal length different camera bodys end up with differeent settings but they all work fine. perhaps examine your calibration method.
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
how are you doing micro adjust at infinity? i cant see being able to get a clear enough picture at this range

I micro adjust all my lenses at MFD 45 degrees to a calibration sheet and the zooms I calibrate at the longest focal length different camera bodys end up with differeent settings but they all work fine. perhaps examine your calibration method.

I turn the focusing ring to infinity, then push the shutter to lock focus at 1 meter, where my LensCal is, I use this one:

http://www.theapplepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/TAP_SpyderLensCal_Square_IMG_8695.jpg

Is there a back-up clock battery in the 5d at all? *Never mind, found it*
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:54:46 PM by Viggo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »
http://FocusTestChart.com

i use this chart

you can only calibrate each lens at 1 focal length (i thin the 1Dx you can do 2)
so always calibrate for where you will potentially have the shallowest depth of field

ie longest zoom and MFD

then to test infinity shoot distant targets after calibration to check
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
http://FocusTestChart.com

i use this chart

you can only calibrate each lens at 1 focal length (i thin the 1Dx you can do 2)
so always calibrate for where you will potentially have the shallowest depth of field

ie longest zoom and MFD

then to test infinity shoot distant targets after calibration to check

I have three lenses I struggle very much with , 24 L II, 50 L and the 85 L II.

I just now adjusted the 50 L to -7 and it seems to be sharp at the "0" mark of my LensCal, but I take it off the tripod and shoot at something with a bit more distance (10 meters) and everything is COMPLETELY off. I just kept shooting near and farther (only 10 meters inside as it is dark outside) and ended up at +3, so what's the point of these tools. With the two other cameras it worked perfectly. SO now, at +3, it's only almost right and sharp from mfd to 10 meters, will try outside tomorrow, hopefully find something I can use. Can't understand why this camera is so difficult, when the two others were soo easy, it's the same lenses.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:49:40 PM by Viggo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »