November 28, 2014, 12:01:33 PM

Author Topic: The future of the EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM  (Read 6633 times)

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
Re: The future of the EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
There are many happy users of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.  It can produce great photos in the hands of the right person - as can a lot of other lenses...  :P  The constant f2.8 is great for low light work, and to get a decent amount of subject isolation / background blur at the tele end.

I don't believe an update for the 17-55mm will be coming anytime soon though. One of the major reasons that I have for this, is that Canon released the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM a few years ago, ie a few years after the 17-55.

While the 15-85mm isn't a constant f2.8 lens, it does improve on a few other aspects of the 17-55mm:
  • better flare control
  • 2mm more on the wide end
  • 30mm more on the tele end
  • better IS (4 stops)

Some people argue the 15-85mm build quality is slightly better than the 17-55mm... but I'd say it's quite close.

Both lenses (17-55mm and 15-85mm) are very sharp, have good contrast, make use of Canon's true USM focus and benefit from IS (3 & 4 stops respectively). So they are great 'kit lenses', which each meeting differing photographer's needs.  (The 15-85mm meets my needs much better in a 'kit lens' - eg when I want a fast lens, it should be at least f/1.8).   8)

So while there might be a 17-55mm II sometime in the future, I expect that is probably around 4 or 5 years away at least..... In the meantime I think Canon will be producing lenses to complement it (eg more dedicated / primes lenses).

I also believe that it's very hard to compare an EF-S lens with an 'equivalent' EF (ie FF compatible) lens, due to the differing nature of focal length, DOF, etc - although f2.8 (on APS-C) will always let in more light than f4 (on FF) even if the background / blur isn't as affected as much. Then there is the whole argument about "difference in build quality between an L, the new prosumer lenses, older 'gold ring' lenses, etc, etc,".  I won't even go there...  ::)

Best wishes.... and happy photographing....    ;)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: The future of the EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »