November 18, 2017, 12:40:23 PM

Author Topic: Canon High End Mirrorless Camera Talk [CR2]  (Read 32924 times)

BillB

• EOS 80D
Re: Canon High End Mirrorless Camera Talk [CR2]
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
I really wish Canon would move a little bit faster with their fullframe mirrorless. I wonder why they are so reluctant to make a move?

At this point, Canon is lagging mostly in the introduction of a full frame electronic viewfinder.  Other pieces of a Canon mirrorless system are in place, largely based on dual pixel technology, such as sensor-based phase detect autofocus and touchscreen focussing.  These features can be used in Liveview in both the 5DIV and the 6DII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »

And what about Sony GM series lenses? 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 GM? How exactly are they benefitting from shorter flange distance? Are they smaller than EF counterparts? Or lighter for that matter? Or are they somehow as big and as heavy as their DSLR counterparts? See, physics :)

They're not benefiting at all, but they're no worse, are they?

So, you have benefits with some lenses (eg primes) being more compact, and other lenses (eg 2.8 zooms) are just as good as they are on a system with a longer flange distance.

So again, why is having a shorter flange distance such a huge problem?  If you really don't like it stick an  EF adaptor on, glue one on if you're really that stubborn.

canon has the perception of 120 million reasons not to.  they are also the market leader.

both make for bad reasons.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »
I really wish Canon would move a little bit faster with their fullframe mirrorless. I wonder why they are so reluctant to make a move?

At this point, Canon is lagging mostly in the introduction of a full frame electronic viewfinder.

there's no difference between a full frame viewfinder and an APS-C electronic viewfinder.

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »

At this point, Canon is lagging mostly in the introduction of a full frame electronic viewfinder.

there's no difference between a full frame viewfinder and an APS-C electronic viewfinder.

True enough.  My intended point was they had not introduced a full frame camera with an electronic viewfinder, not that there were any specific development issues associated with doing so. 

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2017, 06:54:14 AM »
If you really don't like it stick an  EF adaptor on, glue one on if you're really that stubborn.

I will never trust an adapter to be as durable and reliable as a native mount.  If you get your way on this, I'll get a 5D4 and run it into the ground, then see where we are in a decade or two.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Pure gold...I am thinking of doing the same but only for next 3-4 years until Canon is onto the next 5D level body.

If you really don't like it stick an  EF adaptor on, glue one on if you're really that stubborn.

I will never trust an adapter to be as durable and reliable as a native mount.  If you get your way on this, I'll get a 5D4 and run it into the ground, then see where we are in a decade or two.

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

A full frame mirrorless may be smaller and lighter than a fullframe DSLR, but it will be heavier and larger than an APS-C mirrorless.  My guess is that Canon's full frame mirrorless will stick with the EF mount.  The technical and production issues associated with forcing the widespread use of adapters might be relatively minor,  but the marketing people aren't going to want to go anywhere near a strategy based on widespread use of adapters.  They have plenty of experience with the consumer reaction to EF-M adapters already.  APS-C (or smaller) mirrorless cameras are the smaller and lighter solution.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

Cory

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Cory Steiner Photography
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
I think I'd be down for a Canon version of the RX1.
6D, 16-35 4.0 IS, 40, 135 2.0
430EXII, Induro AT113/Sirui K-20x, Sirui T-025x
https://www.twenty20.com/corsteiner/photos

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
Mirrorless cameras that can take standard EF lenses are inevitable. As technology improves the drawbacks of a mirror system (eg vibration, complexity) will inevitably drive canon to abandon the mirror entirely - maybe not for another decade, but it will be gone eventually.

The real question is not whether Canon will do a compact (ef-m style) mirrorless full frame, or a larger mirrorless full-frame that only takes EF lenses, but whether they will do both.

Personally I'd love to abandon the Sony A7RII and move over to a compact Canon EF-M full-frame camera. I do hope that a FF EOS M style camera is on the way, but I also understand it's not for everyone.

That's why I'm sure there is room for both.

Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M5/M3, Sony A6000, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:50 PM »
Mirrorless cameras that can take standard EF lenses are inevitable. As technology improves the drawbacks of a mirror system (eg vibration, complexity) will inevitably drive canon to abandon the mirror entirely - maybe not for another decade, but it will be gone eventually.

The real question is not whether Canon will do a compact (ef-m style) mirrorless full frame, or a larger mirrorless full-frame that only takes EF lenses, but whether they will do both.

Personally I'd love to abandon the Sony A7RII and move over to a compact Canon EF-M full-frame camera. I do hope that a FF EOS M style camera is on the way, but I also understand it's not for everyone.

Would it be possible to design lenses for the EF mount that sat deeper into a mirrorless camera?  Could that be a way to make some size reductions?

Fleetie

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • My Facebook
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2017, 03:12:16 AM »

Would it be possible to design lenses for the EF mount that sat deeper into a mirrorless camera?  Could that be a way to make some size reductions?
Like EF-S, but with a full-frame image circle? Sounds very tricky to me, and you'd get the issue with the vignetting at the corners, because of the far-from-normal angle of incidence of light onto the sensor.
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8  ,  EF 2x III
Canon EOS M5  ,  EF-M 18-150  ,  Samyang EF-M 50mm T/1.3
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
Well, one possible solution is to build a new mount format based around a curved sensor (Canon already have patents for this).

This would allow compact lenses with none of the optical drawbacks of a standard short flange distance mount, and potentially simpler and cheaper high quality lens design.

But it would also pretty much rule out using existing EF lenses, even with an adaptor (except one that had extra glass in it). It would be FD -> EF all over again.

Now, if they could find a way to make a sensor that can be distorted from flat to curved depending on which lens is mounted that would be an ideal solution!
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M5/M3, Sony A6000, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

GlynH

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
A more powerful processor to manage the dual pixel autofocus at pro level speeds only adds to battery woes.  A hybrid design could retain the current fast enough for many uses level of AF in mirrorless mode and not require a more powerful processor.

Not necessarily. Look what Apple manage to achieve with every generation of the iPhone/iPad. A much more powerful processor but far more efficient resulting in less heat/power consumption.

-=Glyn=-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »

Now, if they could find a way to make a sensor that can be distorted from flat to curved depending on which lens is mounted that would be an ideal solution!

I believe a flexible sensor may be the way of the future.  Not sure if I recall some patents for that idea.

sowlow

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • Edouard Faure Photographe
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:58 AM »
I am just waiting for that release of a mirrorless EF.
I'd love to have it
My Website
5d3 + 24-85mm F/3.5-4.5  + 35mm F/2 (v1) + 85mm F/1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:58 AM »