October 23, 2017, 03:09:19 PM

Author Topic: Sadly, the 6dm2 and 5div to be obsolete shortly  (Read 48580 times)

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Sadly, the 6dm2 and 5div to be obsolete shortly
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
The D800 was announced 3 years ahead of the 5DS/5DR......

My scenario is that it takes 4-5 years to produce a high-end DSLR, which means that the 5DS/5DR project would have had to have started 1-2 years ahead of the release of the D800, and that because said camera was such a significant departure from the Canon line up, that it would have involved a great deal of high end discussion before that, meaning that the idea to produce such a camera would have predated the release of the D800 by at least another year, meaning that it was 2-3 years before the release of the D800, and since we are now significantly predated, the concept of the 5DS/5DR being a reaction to something that will not happen for 2-3 years is false.

That said, it is logical to believe that both Canon and Nikon have a very good understanding of what the other company is working on. Canon probably knew what the D800 design goals were 4 years before it was produced, just as Nikon probably knew the 5D4 design goals 4 years ago..... It is almost a certainty that the design of the 5DS/5DR was influenced by the goals of the D800 project, just as Canon design goals affect Nikon designs. To say that it is a reaction to the design of the D800 is a stretch, as that would imply that Canon has a weak plan for the future.

Canon announced a prototype 50 MP APS-C sensor in 2007, five years before the launch of the D800 and 8 years prior to the 5Ds.  Clearly, those high-level discussions of high megapixel sensors had been occurring at Canon for quite some time prior to Nikon's move.

Regardless, you're absolutely correct that there are no real secrets in industry.
And then we have the 200Mpixel APS-H sensor..... A high megapixel camera was inevitable. Personally, I was surprised that the 5DS/5DR was "only" 50 megapixels.....

Issue with Nikon or Canon or Sony is if they ever do release a 200mp, how will we pull the files?   Harddrives would fill instantly.   Lightroom would crawl.    As much as I want the D850, i worry about this 46 mp and how much in $ with hardware space etc.    I dont think many people could handle that mess.

Reduce it to 50% before editing and you'll get 50mpx again. Hard drives are cheap now. 2 years ago I was paying $500+ for a 8tb drive, now it's about $250, and 10tb are coming. Put 8 into raid 5, and you have 56tb for $2k + a raid card (another $400).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
I ordered the soon to be obsolete camera today. They didn’t have the kit with the STM lens in stock, so I will have it Friday. I did get to hold one in my hands and look through the 24 to 70mm lens the salesman put on it.

I’m ready to endure the pitying looks from the masses who will know that it lacks an on-sensor ADC.

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
I ordered the soon to be obsolete camera today. They didn’t have the kit with the STM lens in stock, so I will have it Friday. I did get to hold one in my hands and look through the 24 to 70mm lens the salesman put on it.

I’m ready to endure the pitying looks from the masses who will know that it lacks an on-sensor ADC.
Enjoy your new obsolete camera. I got my own obsolete 5DMkIV last November and I enjoy it ever since  :)

Ian_of_glos

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »

After postponing my decision for months due to the poor reviews I bought my obsolete 5D mark 4 in April, and I am absolutely delighted with it. It is far better than I was expecting, and the reported weaknesses either don't matter to me or they are nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.
I am sure you will enjoy using your 6D mk2 and you will be pleased with the results. 

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »
Shot two models on Sunday with my obsolete 5DS continuing my 1920s theme in my studio. Was disappointed to see sharp shots with good colour saturation, very little noise if any (100iso) and how little difference the mild cropping did to shots in LR / Photoshop CC.
Then I turned to shots I did on the Saturday with the 6D MKII on location shooting landscapes, same problem.

Still I can upgrade to Sony / Nikon for thousands of ££ and see no real world difference so I can look "cool".

Canon shooter for 45 years sorry but I'm not likely to change now.
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
Canon shooter for 45 years sorry but I'm not likely to change now.

I got my FT-QL only 47 years ago myself. The 6D2 will be my third Canon DSLR, after two Rebels. The Xsi was not a bad introduction to the genre. It was an impulse purchase. I had built a house where I would live in retirement and had gone into H.H. Gregg to look at washers, dryers, and TVs, since I would need those things. I wound up buying a camera. It was reasonable for the whole package, including accessories, kit lens, and the 75-300mm lens I used recently for the eclipse photos. I later got the T3i, and it was a big improvement, especially in terms of lower noise at higher ISOs and longer exposures, and I could keep using the same lenses, for better or worse.

When the 80D came out a year or so ago, I thought seriously about that as my next step, but decided that I would go to FF some day, and might as well wait for the 6D2. It turned out a much longer wait than I was expecting, but that gave me the chance to get the G7X II as my travel camera in the meantime.

The salesman I had discussed the 80D with last year, and from whom I bought the 6D2 yesterday, shoots a 6D. He said the 6D2 addressed the two main weaknesses of the 6D. He has not personally seen the STM kit lens, since they don't stock it, so he said if I was OK with it, he was looking forward to seeing the one I'm getting.

I think for me the STM might be a little better choice than the L, and of course it is $400 or so cheaper. Plus if I were to miss the extra stop at 105mm, I can always use my 100mm 2.8 macro, which I expect to get more general use on the FF than it has on the Rebel, and is a great lens even in its non-L incarnation.

I told the salesman I was going to buy a bottle of red nail polish and paint a ring around the lens.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »

I think for me the STM might be a little better choice than the L, and of course it is $400 or so cheaper. Plus if I were to miss the extra stop at 105mm, I can always use my 100mm 2.8 macro, which I expect to get more general use on the FF than it has on the Rebel, and is a great lens even in its non-L incarnation.

I told the salesman I was going to buy a bottle of red nail polish and paint a ring around the lens.

I had the STM version of the 24-105, as well as the original "L" and found little difference in IQ.  The "L" might be a bit better at the widest aperture, but generally I found the IQ to be pretty much the same.  The biggest difference is probably in build quality and the constant aperture, of course.  I am not a pixel peeper and if you are not than I hope you find the same results.  The non-L 100 macro is also a great lens. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
I had the STM version of the 24-105, as well as the original "L" and found little difference in IQ.  The "L" might be a bit better at the widest aperture, but generally I found the IQ to be pretty much the same.  The biggest difference is probably in build quality and the constant aperture, of course.  I am not a pixel peeper and if you are not than I hope you find the same results.  The non-L 100 macro is also a great lens.

Thanks. The reviews I saw agree with you about the IQ. Build quality works both ways. Part of the appeal of the STM for me is that it is a little lighter, and this lens, at least to start with, will be my "walkabout" general purpose lens, so three ounces less hanging from my neck could influence how long I feel like walking about. As for weather sealing, if the weather is bad, I'm not going out taking pictures, and that is not out of concern for the equipment.

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:53 AM »
Shooting side by side yesterday with a mate and his A9 on some fast motorcross. I was impressed with the size of the A9 and the feature set looks amazing compared to my dated DSLR, however come lunch time I think he felt he had made a poor decision on the A9 after we chimped some shots, seems he now is super impressed with the old Canon and feels the A9 has some way to go in regard to sports shooting, let alone the performance of the 200/2 and 500/4 Mark 2. So I feel a little better having been drawn to Sony for some while, looks like me and the 1DX Mark 2 are happy again :) Oh and his two batteries vs my one....well...I had another two spare haha

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »
Shooting side by side yesterday with a mate and his A9 on some fast motorcross. I was impressed with the size of the A9 and the feature set looks amazing compared to my dated DSLR, however come lunch time I think he felt he had made a poor decision on the A9 after we chimped some shots, seems he now is super impressed with the old Canon and feels the A9 has some way to go in regard to sports shooting, let alone the performance of the 200/2 and 500/4 Mark 2. So I feel a little better having been drawn to Sony for some while, looks like me and the 1DX Mark 2 are happy again :) Oh and his two batteries vs my one....well...I had another two spare haha

Just curious, what lens did he have on his A9?

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2017, 02:09:40 AM »
nuh, you may consider using Red Silicone O Ring instead :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230918760897

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2017, 02:22:38 AM »

He had a vintage manual focus f/1 lens ;) Just kidding.

On the side note - it's hard to call the 1dx2 a dated DSLR.

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:26 AM »

G master 100-400. :)

p.s, it's a killer combo! Just not a 1DX killer combo, I still want one on the quiet haha

jopa, yeah I know lol, I friken love the 1DX!!!

I see there is an A9 UK on eBay for £3,500 with less than 50 clicks on the clock (122717351767) makes you wonder why it's up for sale, I mean and on OFFER, would you buy a new 1DX2 for a grand less....well....yes I would!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:38:14 AM by arthurbikemad »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:26 AM »

john kriegsmann

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • none
« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
I sold my original 6D because I believed many of the rumors published on CR. I was most interested in rumored improvement in dynamic range, autofocus and two SD slots. I really didn't care too much about the extra megapixels or the flip screen. Needless to say I was disappointed  with the new 6D2, it really can't hold a candle to the three year old Nikon D750 which has more DR than the Canon 5Dmk4. I don't believe my perceptions are off base because it appears that Canon 6Dmk 2 sales are lagging. The feature set on this camera is way over priced for a camera with this feature set and purposeful stupid limitations ( 1 sd card?) to maintain product differentiation with the 5d4.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
I don't believe my perceptions are off base because it appears that Canon 6Dmk 2 sales are lagging.

Appears to whom?  You?  Quite the circular logic, there.  Unless you have actual data to support your claim.  If so, pelase share.  If not, well...you're in good company here, lots of people seem to like pulling numbers from their nether orifices and claiming them as factual, when in reality they are just smelly BS. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »