December 10, 2017, 07:43:01 PM

Author Topic: Question about handheld shooting with 5Ds R  (Read 39404 times)

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Question about handheld shooting with 5Ds R
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
i have  a sigma 50 art and i have calibrated it, cause i found some errors in focusing, but the other 2 lenses are perfect and if i shot with 5d2 the images are perfect. sharpen and precise. not with 5ds. it's a bad story.
i dont' what to think..

Did you do AFMA with the 5DS? It wasn't clear if you calibrated with the 5DII only.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Focus looks a bit off to me - probably have to microadjust focus a bit backward. I have learned through experience with the 5DS cameras that even SLIGHT misfocus can have great implications on IQ (if you view full-size/crop heavily). All those pixels - while they're nice to have - there is a downside...Thankfully I find the AF to have a relatively high degree of consistency, but it does make shooting at super-wide apertures challenging at best.

I had to microadjust my 100 Macro on the 5DSR due to a slight front-focus. Actually, the annoying thing about it is that with this combo, each group of AF points seems to need a different AFMA setting - i.e., the center point was more or less OK at 0 but outer points were front-focusing a bit. Since I mostly use the outer points on this combo anyway, that's what I adjusted for (+8 did the trick). So the outer points are now dead-on, but there is backfocus with the center point group - and occasionally I'll forget this when shooting.  :-\ But you KNOW when it's dead-on, because this thing is SHARP when it is...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:07:00 PM by Act444 »

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
i have  a sigma 50 art and i have calibrated it, cause i found some errors in focusing, but the other 2 lenses are perfect and if i shot with 5d2 the images are perfect. sharpen and precise. not with 5ds. it's a bad story.
i dont' what to think..

Open your 5Ds CR.2 files at the same size as the 5DII - 5616 pixels long side.

It'll go a long way to solving your problem  ;)

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
Try to focus via LV on a tripod (with IS = off), also maybe with zoom and 2s shutter delay. It's probably the most accurate focusing you can get. If it still sucks - maybe something wrong with the camera. The 5dsR sensor is crazy sharp, the 5ds one shouldn't be visually worse.

photojoern.de

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • See more in http://photojoern.de
    • Photography: Berlin, Landscape, Urbanscape, Travel...
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2017, 05:45:58 AM »
Let's imagine Canon 5DSR and 7D Mark II, side by side, using the same 100mm lens, and enough distance to get the same framework in the camera viewfinder.

The full frame camera asks minimum speed 1/100 second to shoot hand held, and the APS-C camera asks minimum speed of 1/160 second.
Until here the previous post is correct. The thing is: pixel density of crop sensor and 5 DSR is similar. The 5 DS R get´s a larger field of view illuminated (full frame) than the cop sensor. On pixel level, this is similar. Solution to this is applied niecely into the 5 DS: there is an auto-iso shutter speed menue point where you can tell the camera to use a higher standard minimum shutter speed. So the camera would choose 1/200th in the above case. Then again, you are having a similar risk of camera shake as with the crop sensor.

So, long story told shortly: High MP resolution cameras are great. But to have tack sharp handheld photos, you will need a higher shutter speed (50% = 2 x quicker I would apply) or IS on your lens, compared to FF 21 MP cameras. Same applies by the way to lenses: you will start seeing smaller blurs that you previously not noticed with mediocre lenses. As well as your focussing - small errors start being visible at 1:1 view.
Photography is painting with light. A great photo creates a strong feeling, i.e. "I would love to have been there, in that very magic moment."

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
I have used mine primarily handheld, with everything from 11-24 to 600 and it works fine. With the 24-70 f2.8L II (no IS) I can do 1/FL in shutter speed. To be on the safe side I do 1/2xFL. With IS lenses it´s of course different. I have pixle peeped a lot and believe this problem is a bit exaggerated (I know I am fairly steady though).

Who should use this camera and who should not ... that´s the question. To me, as long as your computer can process and you have enough disk space, I´d say you can use this camera for anything but sports, action and low light events (even though it is much better in low light than I had expected).

I´m crossing my fingers for the new 1DX-II. Until then, I find a 1DX/5DSR combo to fill just about any need I can come up with. My 5DIII will most likely be inherited by my son.
I would 2nd this opinion. Ive found the "steadiness" issue to be not as bad as everyone imagined it to be when the camera came out. I shoot studio portraits hand-held with strobes with shutter set at 160th and anything up to 200mm. Like Eldar I use the EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM II a lot and have not really seen a material difference in sharpness compared to say the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II or the EF 100 f2.8L IS USM. 
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
I have used mine primarily handheld, with everything from 11-24 to 600 and it works fine. With the 24-70 f2.8L II (no IS) I can do 1/FL in shutter speed. To be on the safe side I do 1/2xFL. With IS lenses it´s of course different. I have pixle peeped a lot and believe this problem is a bit exaggerated (I know I am fairly steady though).

Who should use this camera and who should not ... that´s the question. To me, as long as your computer can process and you have enough disk space, I´d say you can use this camera for anything but sports, action and low light events (even though it is much better in low light than I had expected).

I´m crossing my fingers for the new 1DX-II. Until then, I find a 1DX/5DSR combo to fill just about any need I can come up with. My 5DIII will most likely be inherited by my son.
I would 2nd this opinion. Ive found the "steadiness" issue to be not as bad as everyone imagined it to be when the camera came out. I shoot studio portraits hand-held with strobes with shutter set at 160th and anything up to 200mm. Like Eldar I use the EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM II a lot and have not really seen a material difference in sharpness compared to say the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II or the EF 100 f2.8L IS USM.

I think it's no difference than shooting a regular APS-C camera, so 1.5x-2x should apply to the shutter speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »

I think it's no difference than shooting a regular APS-C camera, so 1.5x-2x should apply to the shutter speed.

The full frame is larger and so any rotational movement is exaggerated compared with a smaller frame. So theoretically if you see 2x with a 20 mp crop camera you’d have to be more with the FF

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »