August 23, 2014, 01:44:23 PM

Author Topic: 5D Split? 5D X & 5D Mark III [CR1]  (Read 47299 times)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Re: 5D Split? 5D X & 5D Mark III [CR1]
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2012, 06:17:53 AM »
Is it? It wold be about the density of 7d sensor and as far it works in 7d some way...
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

kirillica

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »
What's the point of a 45MP camera when its way above the resolving power of any Canon lens?
1) Not any.
2) Canon upgrading their lenses this year very aggressively - sounds like a bell? ;)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2012, 06:32:03 AM »
sounds good apart from the price.. i think the lowest MP should be under 3k

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »
Where's the cinema DSLR in this (which canon actually has announced that it is in development)? Both a 5D split *and* a cinema DSLR? Seems strange.

Joellll

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Commercial:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Commercial
I certainly hope the camera isn't coming this fall;D

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2012, 06:55:24 AM »
What's the point of a 45MP camera when its way above the resolving power of any Canon lens?
Where do you get your infos/sources that current lenses cannot support 45mp Sensor? or is it that you only heard people saying it?

Picsfor

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »
And then of course...

Canon could have deliberately leaked this rumour as a sounding board.

We know they read these forums, what better way to find out the thoughts of potential customers. Then they can say
"we listened to what our customer base wanted..."

This sort of site is, after all, a 2 way street. Both Canon and CR get a benefit from working together like this.

frisk

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »
Considering that a split like this has been discussed here for a while, I am just wondering if this is anything more than a rumour circle - somebody read it here, sent the rumour to NL, and then it found its way back here.

Having said that, I would not object to it being true - I would jump on the "22MP, High-ISO, improved AF" camera in an instant.

I do, however, find it rather unlikely that the two cameras would have the same AF system, but....this is just a CR1 rumour after all, so I am not taking it too seriously.

There seems to be a fairly reliable indication that Canon will be offering a video-oriented EOS camera this year, and quite frankly I find it very unlikely that they will be introducing 3 new ones, so "if" there is a split and we get two different successors to the 5D2, one of them would have to be the "video-oriented" one.

So, shat is more likely - a  40+MP camera with decent video and a 22MP one with top-notch video (as this rumour states) OR a 40+MP camera with top-notch video and a 22MP one with decent video?   I'm not 100% certain, but I am certain someone can give a good technical explanation on why one case must be more feasible than the other.

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »
So, which one of the two was seen in Kenya on the safari with the Canon-guy?  :-\
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

jeremymerriam

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
I think this rumor deserves a CR of 0

The only thing that seems to make sense is the rumor of 2 cameras in the works.  A studio higher megapixel (hopefully no more AA filter), and probably the 5DX since the x seems to be the new marketing letter they are using for all the new models coming out around the same time.

Picsfor

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »
People seem to be making much of 'why would they use 1DX AF on lower priced models?

The answer has also been given time and again.

Cost.

No R&D required to improve the 5D2 AF, no R&D to port the 7D AF.

Just put it straight in to the new body. So, manufacturing costs go through the floor, R&D save a huge fortune on development, and the undeciders will now be choosing the stunning Canon AF over the Nikon AF.

7D brigade will get their upgrade in a stroke, 5D2 brigade will get all of their upgrade options in a stroke, and Canon will be able to generate extra revenue by seeing togs own 3 bodies instead of 2.

Why 3 instead of 2? Well, let's suppose you're a wedding tog. You will have two of the 22mp bodies (bread and butter cameras), but would still like the benefits of 45mp for those large group shots or lovely double page panoramic shots you see in the albums/ books. So, instead of just 2 bodies, you now own 3, and you've bought them for not much more than a 1DX - great value.

Canon make extra profit, you get extra value - and those wanting the more robust weather sealed all singing all dancing will still go for the 1DX.

This option, if true, would be a win win for Canon and its customers - new or old.

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 08:11:16 AM »
this rumor is taken with a very large grain of salt...  :)

Man, these sure are thirsty times with all this salt…  ;D
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/
http://stefsan.smugmug.com

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »
So, shat is more likely - a  40+MP camera with decent video and a 22MP one with top-notch video (as this rumour states) OR a 40+MP camera with top-notch video and a 22MP one with decent video?   I'm not 100% certain, but I am certain someone can give a good technical explanation on why one case must be more feasible than the other.

4K video pixel binned 4:1 would yield about 40 MP sensor. Aiming a single product at both videographers and high res fashion/studio/landscape shooters might seem a bit odd though from a marketing perspective. But from a technical point of view I guess it makes sense. That would leave space for the 22MP all-arounder (okay in every aspect, not king on any), not mess with the 1DX (best speed, best ISO), and the combo would be competitive with Nikon's offerings. The 22MP all-arounder would be a little bit cheaper than the D800, and the high res 4K camera would be more expensive, but probably cheaper than 1DX, unless its a pro body much similar to 1Ds. I doubt though that high res is going to be as expensive as 1Ds/D3x from now on.

If this is about true, I think most will be happy. Those that want high res (like me) are probably prepared to pay a bit more (lens cost is the major part anyway), as long as it does not feel like D800 is a much better deal. $4K would be ok. The masses want that 22MP all-arounder, and if it is a few bucks cheaper than the D800 and/or has a little bit more speed it will be ok. With good AF it will be an upgrade from the 5D mark 2.

What I'm less sure about is what 4K videographers are prepared to pay. Are they expecting 5D mark 2 pricing?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:24:01 AM by torger »

Neeneko

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
Where do you get your infos/sources that current lenses cannot support 45mp Sensor? or is it that you only heard people saying it?

That was my question too.  I see all sorts of comments about lenses not being able to support various sensors (including a discussion about using MF and LF lenses on DSLRs, with people claiming up and down that it ruins the pictures.. yet professionals are doing it every day...)...

Though personally I am rubbing my hands with glee since I have a 0.9f lens that most certainty can handle such a sensor and a fun use case where 45MP would actually be really useful.

bdeutsch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
this rumor is taken with a very large grain of salt...  :)

Man, these sure are thirsty times with all this salt…  ;D
I'm with you ... water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.  All these salty 5dmiii (5dx) rumors are getting tiring.

Headshots NYC | NY Wedding Photos | Gotham Family Photos