October 20, 2017, 07:38:57 PM

Author Topic: Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by DPReview  (Read 96892 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by DPReview
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
DPReview has completed their review of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II rather quickly and came away liking, but not loving it.

From DPReview:

It’s true that every objective specification of the 6D Mark II has been improved upon when compared with its predecessor, while the release price has remained the same. Unfortunately, unless you’re a die-hard Canon user with an investment in glass and you just need an affordable backup body, it’s difficult to look past all that competing cameras have to offer…..

… As it should be, the EOS 6D II is a better camera than its predecessor in every way. With plenty of resolution, respectable burst shooting speeds and pleasing Canon color, it’s a camera that’s capable of producing great images in a variety of situations. Despite this, it is simply overshadowed by competition that is made up of more capable cameras at similar or lower prices. Read the full review

Just like most of the people that have used the Canon EOS 6D Mark II, it’s a nice upgrade from the original, but may not compete all that well with competitors. Here’s hoping we don’t have to wait another 5 years for a successor.

At the end of the day, the camera will be judged by how well it sells. Casual consumers have a tendency to care a little less about certain specifications than us passionate gear nuts.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by DPReview
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »

ritholtz

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by DPReview
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
Very disappointing AF performance which is the case with even 80d.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »

I would take that with a big pinch of salt - DPR have a long history of not knowing how to use Canon AF. Rishi has been on here before saying they use the Canon AF in the same way they do the testing with Nikon AF and quite few have called him out on this.
I am not saying the 6D2 AF is fantastic, just that DPR history does not give me much confidence in what they write.

AA

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
A true retro camera at a non-retro price point: 2010 DR, 2010 video, for $2,000 in 2017...
6D, 5D IV, Sony RX100 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 85 1.2 II
Next stop: Sony A7R III?

cerealito

• PowerShot G1 X II
won't upgrade to it
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
I'm a 70D user with a moderate investment in canon (sigma 18-35, EF 50/1.4, canon EF-S 55-250, EF-S 60 macro, 430 iii flash...)

I closely followed the rumors  of the 6dii because I thought that it was going to be my first FF camera... but now that it's out I'm having second thoughts... is the image quality of a FF system worth the added bulk and price? is mirrorless the future?

the competition is fierce... the fuji x-t2 for instance seems to be slightly cheaper and much more portable... and with 4k...
I'm also considering the eos m5 or waiting for the next iteration... the eos m7?

Canon definitely didn't give us aps-c shooters a real reason to upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:02:45 PM by cerealito »

ShootTheStars12

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: won't upgrade to it
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »
I'm a 70D user with a moderate investment in canon (sigma 18-35, EF 50/1.4, canon EF-S 55-250, EF-S 60 macro, 430 iii flash...)

I closely followed the rumors  of the 6dii because I thought that it was going to be my first FF camera... but now that it's out I'm having second thoughts... is the image quality of a FF system worth the added bulk and price? is mirrorless the future?

the competition is fierce... the fuji x-t2 for instance seems to be slightly cheaper and much more portable... and with 4k...
I'm also considering the eos m5 or waiting for the next iteration... the eos m7?

Spot on.  I'm an SL1 user that has just been biding my time to upgrade to full frame and blow money on some L lenses.  Now, I'm not sure if I'll buy a camera or any equipment for awhile now.  I would like to stick with Canon because of all their positives as a company, but I'm really not seeing a good value here.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »

Did you want the small size of mirroless? That was never, ever going to happen in a DSLR and criticising the 6D2 for not being as small or as cheap as an crop sensor (Xt-2) is just odd.
It makes me wonder if you know what it is you are after and why.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
If you find yourself shooting in lower light and need that ISO 3200+ excellent sensor performance with very low noise, then FF camera is right for you. new Canon 6D II is an excellent low light capable camera that is worth to consider.
Hovever, if the focus and recompose technique is all that you typically would use, then 6D original is may be a very smart budget alternative. I hope it helps.

mrsfotografie

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • M.R.S. Fotografie www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »

EF-S lenses  and that Sigma 18-35 won't work on a full frame body so your Canon investment would mean your logical upgrade path would be an APS-C body (7DMkII). Only your flash and 50mm f/1.4 can be used on a 6D Mk II and because you would have to change most of your kit to go full frame you might as well consider the competition if full frame is what you truly want... but I doubt it because you mention 'portability'.
5D3, 5D2, G5X, G16 | SY14/2.8, V20/3.5, 28/2.8 IS, Ʃ35/1.4, 50/1.8, 50/1.8 STM, Ʃ50/1.4 EX, 100/2.8L IS Macro, 16-35/4L IS, 24-105/4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 2.0x III, 70-300L IS, Ʃ150-600 OS HSM S

bedford

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »

I would take that with a big pinch of salt - DPR have a long history of not knowing how to use Canon AF. Rishi has been on here before saying they use the Canon AF in the same way they do the testing with Nikon AF and quite few have called him out on this.
I am not saying the 6D2 AF is fantastic, just that DPR history does not give me much confidence in what they write.

IIRC they admitted the test with the 80D was not done correctly. And promised to redo it. Well, probably they just forgot...

Oliver

bedford

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »

I agree. My plans were to upgrade from 60D to the 6D II.

Now, I'll get the 80D (plus some lenses) instead. 3000,- € less for Canon.

Oliver

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »
Not exactly a glowing review...but I think it is a fair assessment. Even from the perspective of someone heavily invested in the Canon system like myself...

Here's what I think...the issue with the camera isn't it's feature set. As the review points out, and as folks who have picked up the camera have alluded to, it's a good, capable camera in its own respects. Rather, it is the price point, and perceived value for money where it seems to be falling a bit short. If they announced it at $1500 or even $1700 I think it would have been received better. But once you hit $2K, people now expect a bit more camera for that kind of money - especially with the Nikon D750 and even Canon's 5D III available for the same amount. It's almost like a brand premium, i.e., you're paying for the Canon name and they wouldn't be the only company to do that, there's nothing inherently wrong with it - they're betting that this target market would be willing to pay more for the Canon name and time will tell whether that is true or not.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:56:10 PM by Act444 »

xps

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
Of course, Canon drains our wallet with outdated "skills" in a lot of the specs of the 6DII. Despit a lot of disappointment, I ordered the body. Now, some hundred shot later, I like some of its features. It is like an Déjà-vu, when I remeber my thoughts wit the original 6D. OMG, an so outdated AF  :o OMG,...
But as my second body, it is a pleasure to use. The articulated sreen helps me to get wonderful groundshots, without bending my old bones. The image quality is ok. If I need more DR, HDR is my best friend. Compare witht he 5DIV you see the difference. But, when I need much DR, I use the 5DIV. And mostly, DR is not the reason, why my shot looks  just avergage  ;)

Would I by this body again? Yes. Canon has no other FF option below my 5DIV. The price will sink in a couple of month. Just look at the 5DIV. Lost a lot of € in one year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »

The3o5FlyGuy

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
my biggest problem with this thing is how clustered cannon made the auto focus points. They might as well have left it at 9... I think thats easly one of the most over looked issues with this camera. I was looking forward to finally upgrading to full frame, but I'd rather wate t upgrade to the 7D Mark III. I think that's the camera for me if it lives up to my REASONABLE expectations.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
SecureGSM has given good advice.  If you want to go to FF, then either the 6D or 6D II is a good choice.  The question is, will FF give you what you want.  If you are not doing low light shooting, or aren't interested in greater DOF, then there may be no benefit to going FF. 

I would recommend renting a 6D if you can.  Only then can you compare your 70D to a FF.  You may find a very slight IQ improvement if you shoot mainly daylight pics.  While I really liked the IQ of my 6D, I went back to APS-C when the M5 came out.  The IQ difference is noticeable if you are really concerned with noise, otherwise, I found the smaller size and weight of the M5 to be more important for me. 

As I mentioned, the only way to tell for the type of pics you take would be to rent a 6D or 6D II and compare with your 70D.  All the comments on forums and various test sites will only create more confusion.

If you find yourself shooting in lower light and need that ISO 3200+ excellent sensor performance with very low noise, then FF camera is right for you. new Canon 6D II is an excellent low light capable camera that is worth to consider.
Hovever, if the focus and recompose technique is all that you typically would use, then 6D original is may be a very smart budget alternative. I hope it helps.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »