October 17, 2017, 09:17:22 AM

Author Topic: D850 marketing materials leaked  (Read 10276 times)

BillB

• EOS 80D
Re: D850 marketing materials leaked
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
Will be interesting to see the price and if Canon will feel a need to respond in kind.

Best guess, they'll come in around the 5D4 price.  Just a gut feeling.  The pitch would be 'you can get a 5D4 for that price, or you can a 5D4 with +15 MP, +2 fps, tilty-flippy, + 90 or so AF points, plus a better silent shutter, plus, plus plus...'

Don't know if it will work, but it's a formidable value proposition.

Only major thing I haven't seen is the 4K fine print.  It just says 4K right now -- no info on crop or anything.

- A

I wouldn't cry if it causes the 5D4 price to get slashed...

Nikon has to find a price point that is low enough to generate sales and high enough to recover costs.  In the past they have sometimes announced a higher end price and then almost immediately announced a sale that effectively established a lower price point.  For Nikon, cost control may well be a big issue.  Also, how many D810 and D750 owners are going to upgrade, and how many 5Dsomething owners are going to jump ship (and where else are sales going to come from)?

I am am wondering if Canon will react by dropping the price of the 5DV and at some point replacing the 5DSR with something that would be a more direct competitor with the D850. That might appeal to some unhappy people who passed on the 6DII.  (or maybe not)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »

snoke

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
Also, how many D810 and D750 owners are going to upgrade, and how many 5Dsomething owners are going to jump ship (and where else are sales going to come from)?

Maybe Nikon get some Sony users? :)

But same question ask for Canon new camera.

D850 big upgrade. Nikon shooter very happy.

I am am wondering if Canon will react by dropping the price of the 5DIV and at some point replacing the 5DSR with something that would be a more direct competitor with the D850.

You miss "I".

5Ds role to have most MP. Canon want be king of MP so have 5Ds. To Canon, D850 not beat 5Ds. New 5Ds after new A7R.

That might appeal to some unhappy people who passed on the 6DII.  (or maybe not)

Wrong buyer.

I want Nikon D850 mirrorless and short flange. Be excellent get adapter and use Canon lens on it.

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
Someone must have gone horribly, horribly wrong at Nikon Headquarters.

EVERYTHING IS EXPOSED WRONG!!!

Dark trees with no detail, it's like they completely forgot to push the shadows at all.
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nikon-D850-presentation-slides5.jpg

The back of this guy's head is barely visible, I bet any wedding photographer using that kind of workflow would get fired instantly.
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nikon-D850-presentation-slides2.jpg

This waterfall scene is FULL of DISGUSTING DARKNESS!!! The person taking that photo was obvioulsy a tourist, probably a child, maybe the shutter button was accidentally bumped so someone at Nikon "thought" this photo didn't need the shadows lifted?
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nikon-D850-camera-presentation-leaked-13.jpg

This sunset is severely lacking in detail, again, disgusting darkness all over the place...
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nikon-D850-camera-presentation-leaked-14.jpg

OH FOR F#@% SAKE THIS SUNSET COULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN WITH A 5D!
It's like they just totally "gave up" and stopped caring about proper exposure at all.
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nikon-D850-camera-presentation-leaked-15.jpg

This could be the biggest disaster in Nikon history, they're about to publish all sorts of marketing material that is utterly nonsensical and quite frankly is completely abusive to their own equipment. I'm surprised no-one died when these photographs were made.
Maybe this is a result of all the radiation? Nikon must be in severe distress and they don't even realise it.

This is a moment of most dire need, for the sake of the future of humanity, to anyone reading this, please contact your government and try to have international aide sent to Nikon IMMEDIATELY!
DON'T DELAY!
If Ninkon is doing this badly at correcting exposures, all of them must be on the verge of DEATH!

NIKON NEEDS YOUR HELP! CALL YOUR GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVE NOW!!!

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:57 PM »
Yowza -- onboard and automated focus-stacking?

Focus adjusting system could offer you deeply stacked* picture
* require software from other companies
- Camera will continuously take the nearest focus to infinite focus  (<-- ahsanford emphasis)
- Max nomber of photos: 300 photos
- Focus distance interval could be customized (10 steps)
- Shutter release could be customized (0 to 30 sec)
- Continuous shooting around 5 fps
- Suitable for shooting jewelry,  specimen and landscape

- A

Sounds like you need 3rd party software (* require software from other companies) to actually create the final image.  The camera apparently uses focus bracketing to take the (up to 300) shots.

Olympus has had this feature on their E-M1 for a couple years now, and supposedly (if I read their material correctly) will do the stacking in-camera - but (and it is a big but) only with select lenses.  Unfortunately, not any of the lenses that I have, or I could give you a review of how well it works!

It works pretty well but could be implemented a lot better, mainly by programming specific focus start and end points.
Otherwise it takes some experience / practice but the results are quite good when you nail it and it's very quick.
Oly stacks 8 bracketed images in-camera or can shoot hundreds (?) if you'd like to be stacked in post.

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »
I want Nikon D850 mirrorless and short flange. Be excellent get adapter and use Canon lens on it.

+1
while it looks like a pretty impressive pile of features and spec for a (more gently) mirror-slapping machine I'd like a hi rez, super low noise, low iso (true 25 or even 50) in short-register ML body.

Pretty much everything else (that I can make use of) I already have available in other gear like Pentax and Oly + good old d800.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »
Lets hope that they sell a ton of them and that there are no more recalls.  Canon is not going to be worried, their next generation will likely be mirrorless and those cameras will sell well.

Nikon needs to get back into the business at a basic level with good solid cameras that have no gimmicks, and no recalls.  Even then, they can be blindsided if a Sony manufactured sensor turns out to have issues like they did a few years back. 

BeenThere

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

RayValdez360

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
Will be interesting to see the price and if Canon will feel a need to respond in kind.

Canon's response will come in 2021 with the 5D Mark V.

It will have:
- 40mp (wow! almost as much as the A7R II)
- A freaking strong AA filter that in order to prevent moire will trash all sharpness
- I can't say the main slot, but the second will be a SD (of course, no UHS-II)
- An improved DR of 13.9 (as good as a 2013 Nikon D5200!)
- Some new super technology as the dual pixel RAW that will create huge files that allow you to improve basically nothing
- A 4k 60fps with a major drawback (some messed up codec and/or a hideous crop factor) that will make it useless
- a few grams lighter, battery will last a few shots more

Everyone will rage about it, but in the end we will have to shut up and accept it, because we're either fanboys or got so much glass it would cost too much to bother changing.
Sounds like Canon.  Behind in every spec and crippling things. But of course people will say it sells so it doesnt matter. Persoanlly I  want the best quality  on a product that works.

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »

It will have:
- A freaking strong AA filter that in order to prevent moire will trash all sharpness
- Some new super technology as the dual pixel RAW that will create huge files that allow you to improve basically nothing
- A 4k 60fps with a major drawback (some messed up codec and/or a hideous crop factor) that will make it useless

Everyone will rage about it, but in the end we will have to shut up and accept it, because we're either fanboys or got so much glass it would cost too much to bother changing.
Sounds like Canon.  Behind in every spec and crippling things. But of course people will say it sells so it doesnt matter. Persoanlly I  want the best quality  on a product that works.

1. The D5 and D500 also have less resolution than any other current Nikon sensor, these are Nikon's flagship cameras.
2. The AA filter eliminates Moire in ways that is impossible to do in software, this is still an advantage for many people.
3. Nikon just removed the second card slot from the D7500.
4. DR advancements basically ended at 14 stops, everything is limited to that range (and the D5 is closer to 11 stops, again, Nikon's flagship camera).
5. Yes, Canon is the most innovative company in the industry and they have more new ideas than anyone else.
6. Every 4K implementation on the market is flawed in some way (noisy, cropped, overheating, Sony launched the A9 with no Log profile).

7. Yes, Canon is one of the best examples of constant improvement, other companies may gain a temporary advantage but you can rest assured Canon will always be a market leader in this industry.

All the competition still lags behind Canon in one of the most significant factors: "Ecosystem".
Canon has the best user experience on the market by a wide margin, and the widest compatibility with professional equipment.
"Eventually" Sony or Nikon will catch up, but progress is excessively slow. The term "Snap Bridge" is practically an insult at this point.
Remember when Sony was permanently compressing RAW files? Have you heard that no Fuji camera shoots over 5fps without disabling live view in the viewfinder?
The D850 marketing focuses on their improved touchscreen functionality, but that's a feature Canon had fully implemented on the 70D in 2013!
Oh man the competition is so sllllooowww.
It's like Canon is the only one walking normally and everyone else is just crawling in slow motion because it takes them practically forever to make a modern interface.

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »
Specs look great.  If the camera can match them, Canon will have challenge in their hands

RGF

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
Rough translation:

- 45.75M
- 9 fps * MB-D18 + EN-EN18a
- 8K timelapse
- 4K movie
- ISO 64-25600
- 3.2" 2.36M vari-angle touch screen
- 153 AF system
- 45M quiet shooting mode
- 0.75x OVF magnification
- 180,000 RGB sensor

So 45 MP x 9 fps X D5 AF it indeed appears to be it, but those SKUs after 9 fps above imply the grip may be needed to pull that off.

- A

I remember other bodies (don't ask me which) that had better FPS performance with a grip

RGF

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »

Best guess, they'll come in around the 5D4 price.  Just a gut feeling.  The pitch would be 'you can get a 5D4 for that price, or you can a 5D4 with +15 MP, +2 fps, tilty-flippy, + 90 or so AF points, plus a better silent shutter, plus, plus plus...'

Only major thing I haven't seen is the 4K fine print.  It just says 4K right now -- no info on crop or anything.

- A

Already see some softness in 5D4 prices.  Additional softness may be around the corner

RGF

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
8K timelapse

https://youtu.be/epaRJ3eqKzk

Shot in Namibia.  Well know photographer and wife team.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:04 PM »

- A

Already see some softness in 5D4 prices.  Additional softness may be around the corner

Yes, its Product Life-Cycle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_life-cycle_management_(marketing)#Product_life_cycle_.28PLC.29

Combined with price skimming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_skimming

deadwrong

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »

It will have:

1. The D5 and D500 also have less resolution than any other current Nikon sensor, these are Nikon's flagship cameras.
2. The AA filter eliminates Moire in ways that is impossible to do in software, this is still an advantage for many people.
3. Nikon just removed the second card slot from the D7500.
4. DR advancements basically ended at 14 stops, everything is limited to that range (and the D5 is closer to 11 stops, again, Nikon's flagship camera).
5. Yes, Canon is the most innovative company in the industry and they have more new ideas than anyone else.
6. Every 4K implementation on the market is flawed in some way (noisy, cropped, overheating, Sony launched the A9 with no Log profile).

7. Yes, Canon is one of the best examples of constant improvement, other companies may gain a temporary advantage but you can rest assured Canon will always be a market leader in this industry.

All the competition still lags behind Canon in one of the most significant factors: "Ecosystem".
Canon has the best user experience on the market by a wide margin, and the widest compatibility with professional equipment.
"Eventually" Sony or Nikon will catch up, but progress is excessively slow. The term "Snap Bridge" is practically an insult at this point.
Remember when Sony was permanently compressing RAW files? Have you heard that no Fuji camera shoots over 5fps without disabling live view in the viewfinder?
The D850 marketing focuses on their improved touchscreen functionality, but that's a feature Canon had fully implemented on the 70D in 2013!
Oh man the competition is so sllllooowww.
It's like Canon is the only one walking normally and everyone else is just crawling in slow motion because it takes them practically forever to make a modern interface.

REALLY ;D  BAHAHA , CANON IS BEHIND are you KIDDING ME ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »