November 17, 2017, 11:52:23 PM

Author Topic: D850 marketing materials leaked  (Read 12085 times)

Mancubus

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: D850 marketing materials leaked
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:11 AM »
Will be interesting to see the price and if Canon will feel a need to respond in kind.

Canon's response will come in 2021 with the 5D Mark V.

It will have:
- 40mp (wow! almost as much as the A7R II)
- A freaking strong AA filter that in order to prevent moire will trash all sharpness
- I can't say the main slot, but the second will be a SD (of course, no UHS-II)
- An improved DR of 13.9 (as good as a 2013 Nikon D5200!)
- Some new super technology as the dual pixel RAW that will create huge files that allow you to improve basically nothing
- A 4k 60fps with a major drawback (some messed up codec and/or a hideous crop factor) that will make it useless
- a few grams lighter, battery will last a few shots more

Everyone will rage about it, but in the end we will have to shut up and accept it, because we're either fanboys or got so much glass it would cost too much to bother changing.
Sounds like Canon.  Behind in every spec and crippling things. But of course people will say it sells so it doesnt matter. Persoanlly I  want the best quality  on a product that works.

1. The D5 and D500 also have less resolution than any other current Nikon sensor, these are Nikon's flagship cameras.
2. The AA filter eliminates Moire in ways that is impossible to do in software, this is still an advantage for many people.
3. Nikon just removed the second card slot from the D7500.
4. DR advancements basically ended at 14 stops, everything is limited to that range (and the D5 is closer to 11 stops, again, Nikon's flagship camera).
5. Yes, Canon is the most innovative company in the industry and they have more new ideas than anyone else.
6. Every 4K implementation on the market is flawed in some way (noisy, cropped, overheating, Sony launched the A9 with no Log profile).

7. Yes, Canon is one of the best examples of constant improvement, other companies may gain a temporary advantage but you can rest assured Canon will always be a market leader in this industry.

All the competition still lags behind Canon in one of the most significant factors: "Ecosystem".
Canon has the best user experience on the market by a wide margin, and the widest compatibility with professional equipment.

1- They are sports/action cameras, same as the 1DX II
2- I'd pick sharpness over a filter that would help me maybe in 0.5% of my photos, and I'm pretty sure most people agree with me - the 5DS low sales in comparison with the 5DSR show this. I wish the 5D4 would have a no filter version, would have already bought one if it did.
3- D7500 is in the 80D single card slot league, D500 is in the 7DII dual card slot league
4- D810 is actually almost at 15, but I agree that they screwed up with the D5
5- Partially agree, Sony has also being very innovative lately with stabilised sensor and creating a mirrorless camera that can actually focus in action shots
6- The main thing for me here is intentionally nerfing of 4K capabilities like the 5d4 has. The 1DX II has a much better codec and a less harmful crop factor

7 and the paragraph below - Yes, I agree. Canon seems a more solid brand despite these things that bug me, and I really can't move to another brand because of that (and the gear that I already own).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:11 AM »

Proscribo

• EOS M5
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
This is impossible with 14-bit files. ;)

So yes, it's preetty much halted at 14 stops for now, maybe we'll start to see 16 bit raw files at some point?

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
This is impossible with 14-bit files. ;)

So yes, it's preetty much halted at 14 stops for now, maybe we'll start to see 16 bit raw files at some point?

Playing devils advocate, is it?

The photon count per pixel doesn't align with the bit depth number so there is scaling going on. If I have 16,000 odd different steps who is to say how tall each step is? The taller the step the wider the absolute range covered at a cost of smoothness between individual steps.

If in my scaling process I say 20 stops difference is covered in my 16,000 steps, or 10 stops is covered the only difference is the capacity for absolutes and the difference between each individual step.

Put another way, you can use 14 bits to represent less than 14 stops of DR, but you can scale that information to cover the entire range of 16,000 values in the file, you'd just end up with finer tonal gradation.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Graphic.Artifacts

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
Wish it could take EF mount glass. Sounds like a really nice camera. Hope they sell a bunch. Haven't bought a Nikon in 20 years or so but if I was a better landscape photographer I think I'd have to give one a try. You could pick up a D850 and a couple of Nikkor lenses for less than just the Fuji GFX 50s body. Better stop there or I'm going to talk myself into it.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Wish it could take EF mount glass. Sounds like a really nice camera. Hope they sell a bunch. Haven't bought a Nikon in 20 years or so but if I was a better landscape photographer I think I'd have to give one a try. You could pick up a D850 and a couple of Nikkor lenses for less than just the Fuji GFX 50s body. Better stop there or I'm going to talk myself into it.

All manufacturers should stop re-inventing a wheel and start making cameras in EF mount. Problem solved.

RayValdez360

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
Looks good and like a real winner. ANnyone that says otherwise is a hater except those  that say "wait and see the actual files"  if anyone  said anything like that.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
And.. except those that say "wait and see until at least the third product recall was announced and then enter the market. Prior to pulling out your wallet, check out for another product recall just in case and only then hand over your money.  ;D

Looks good and like a real winner. Annyone that says otherwise is a hater except those  that say "wait and see the actual files"  if anyone  said anything like that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
Will be interesting to see the price and if Canon will feel a need to respond in kind.

Canon's response will come in 2021 with the 5D Mark V.

It will have:
- 40mp (wow! almost as much as the A7R II)
- A freaking strong AA filter that in order to prevent moire will trash all sharpness
- I can't say the main slot, but the second will be a SD (of course, no UHS-II)
- An improved DR of 13.9 (as good as a 2013 Nikon D5200!)
- Some new super technology as the dual pixel RAW that will create huge files that allow you to improve basically nothing
- A 4k 60fps with a major drawback (some messed up codec and/or a hideous crop factor) that will make it useless
- a few grams lighter, battery will last a few shots more

Everyone will rage about it, but in the end we will have to shut up and accept it, because we're either fanboys or got so much glass it would cost too much to bother changing.
Sounds like Canon.  Behind in every spec and crippling things. But of course people will say it sells so it doesnt matter. Persoanlly I  want the best quality  on a product that works.

Do you buy the highest-horsepower car you can afford?

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Looks good and like a real winner. ANnyone that says otherwise is a hater except those  that say "wait and see the actual files"  if anyone  said anything like that.

Definitely looks better (based upon specs) than the 5DM4 or 5DSR.  Hope Canon is able to produce a camera that matches the D850 (soon).

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Nikon keep producing better looking camera specs, whilst Canon keep producing cameras that are reliable and just work. I value the good looking photos rather than good looking specs the most.

Definitely looks better (based upon specs) than the 5DM4 or 5DSR.  Hope Canon is able to produce a camera that matches the D850 (soon).

Keith_Reeder

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Looks good and like a real winner.

That's easy to do when all that exists is a spec sheet...

Keith_Reeder

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
because we're either fanboys or got so much glass it would cost too much to bother changing.

LMFTFY

Because Canon cameras do the job.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »