August 17, 2017, 10:12:22 AM

Author Topic: Another Confirmation on the Upcoming Canon Lenses & New Flash  (Read 3067 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Another Confirmation on the Upcoming Canon Lenses & New Flash
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »
Nokishita has posted similar information about the upcoming 4 lenses from Canon, along with a couple of added goodies.

Canon will announce the following new products soon. (Google Translated)

• EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM
  • TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro
  • The official name of the other two but unconfirmed, the focal length and F values 90mm f/2.8L and 50mm /f2.8L becomes. (We’ve pretty much confirmed a TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro and a TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Macro.)
  • Lens hood “ET – 83E” “ET – 88” “ES – 84”
  • Macro twin light “MT-26EX”

We do not have any information on pricing or availability of any of these four lenses. Since we’ve known about the 85mm f/1.4L IS for quite some time, we’re hoping availability comes swiftly after the announcement.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:27:38 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Another Confirmation on the Upcoming Canon Lenses & New Flash
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
About time with the macro flash, but still no RT in the name? It will be a serious disappointment if it isn't RT enabled.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Drainpipe

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
  • It's all about the little things.
    • Check out my Instagram!
Re: Another Confirmation on the Upcoming Canon Lenses & New Flash
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
Macro twin light!? This is cool news. My MT-24EX is getting a little long in the tooth. Would be cool if it were wireless, but I won't hold my breath. I wonder if this is just an MT-24EX refresh or an entirely different beast. Will be cool to see. Now I'm going to have to buy that TS-E 135L AND a new flash??? Totally having g.a.s. right now.
Canon 5DII | MP-E 65mm 1x-5x f/2.8 | MT-24EX
My macro Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

Chaitanya

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
What new with the macro flash? Unless Canon just adds RT master capability along with Optical master dont see much reason for current twin light users to upgrade. Also where is the upgrade to now discontinued 320ex?

Sabaki

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
The new macro Twin lite immediately becomes my most wanted piece of kit.

I'll be watching this space to see what information leaks through
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EOS 7D mkII | Canon EF 16-35mmL f/4.0 IS | Canon 24-70mmL f/2.8 II | Canon 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS | Canon TS-E 24mmL f3.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mmL | Canon 400 f/5.6 | Canon MP-E65

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
Now I'm curious about the 135 f/4L TSE Macro lens.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »
What new with the macro flash? Unless Canon just adds RT master capability along with Optical master dont see much reason for current twin light users to upgrade.

It's slightly more powerful (higher GN), but I haven't found that to be a limitation with my MT-24.  For macro work with slave flashes lighting the background, I haven't run into trouble with optical triggering, so I'm not sure that I would upgrade just for RT. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »

Chaitanya

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
What new with the macro flash? Unless Canon just adds RT master capability along with Optical master dont see much reason for current twin light users to upgrade.

It's slightly more powerful (higher GN), but I haven't found that to be a limitation with my MT-24.  For macro work with slave flashes lighting the background, I haven't run into trouble with optical triggering, so I'm not sure that I would upgrade just for RT.
I have had problems with optical triggering(with both Nikon and Canon) while working in foggy environment of western ghats and north-east India. Its very annoying to miss shots of snakes or frogs just because flash misses to fire.

Talys

• EOS M5
  • Canon 80D
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »
Well, the name is in quotes.  I'm assuming that's because that is because it's just a guess.

Sabaki

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
RT is very much a secondary want for me, I'm more interested to see if the new unit will allow for custom diffusion without needing hot glue or Frankensteining the unit.

That being said, can anyone tell me how and why RT would be a plus for their macro photography please?
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EOS 7D mkII | Canon EF 16-35mmL f/4.0 IS | Canon 24-70mmL f/2.8 II | Canon 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS | Canon TS-E 24mmL f3.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mmL | Canon 400 f/5.6 | Canon MP-E65

privatebydesign

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
RT is very much a secondary want for me, I'm more interested to see if the new unit will allow for custom diffusion without needing hot glue or Frankensteining the unit.

That being said, can anyone tell me how and why RT would be a plus for their macro photography please?

You'll wait a long time for a manufacturer diffuser worth using.

As for the RT, that is to give the ability to control the background with a remote flash, or any number of other scenarios involving more than just two tiny low powered heads. If there was no need for remote control why would the current two macro flashes both have optical master capabilities?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Drainpipe

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »

You'll wait a long time for a manufacturer diffuser worth using.

As for the RT, that is to give the ability to control the background with a remote flash, or any number of other scenarios involving more than just two tiny low powered heads. If there was no need for remote control why would the current two macro flashes both have optical master capabilities?

This is what I would be most interested in. Granted I would have to get another small RT flash, but to be able to fill instead of bumping ISO would be great.

Also, while we're on the topic of diffusion, I'll second that commercial options suck. This is my most current setup using some Lee gels and a file folder, plus the results  ;D

Two others:
https://i.imgur.com/W3nMPYh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EBDMb4A.jpg
Rabid Wolf Spider:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:47:41 PM by Drainpipe »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 06:06:51 PM »

I assumed the point was why RT over optical master?  As I stated, I've never had an issue triggering slave flashes optically from the MT-24 EX, likely because everything is close enough.  Chaitanya pointed out issues in foggy conditions, but I've never shot macro in fog or mist.  I've had slaves behind diffusers, but those aren't one-way mirrors – the control signals from the MT-24 go through (diffusely) just like the light from the slave flash(es) coming back.

I'd certainly use RT if available (all my other flashes are capable of it), but there's a precedent with Canon releasing the MR-14EX II recently (long after the introduction of RT flashes), and it remains only an optical master.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 06:06:51 PM »

Drainpipe

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

I assumed the point was why RT over optical master?  As I stated, I've never had an issue triggering slave flashes optically from the MT-24 EX, likely because everything is close enough.  Chaitanya pointed out issues in foggy conditions, but I've never shot macro in fog or mist.  I've had slaves behind diffusers, but those aren't one-way mirrors – the control signals from the MT-24 go through (diffusely) just like the light from the slave flash(es) coming back.

I'd certainly use RT if available (all my other flashes are capable of it), but there's a precedent with Canon releasing the MR-14EX II recently (long after the introduction of RT flashes), and it remains only an optical master.

The one situation I can think of is photographing skittish spiders or flies. The preflash can make them jump, whereas an RT would be able to do so without disturbing them. I know it only applies to a small subset of who uses the flash, but it would be nice.

privatebydesign

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »

Just because the RT system has a lot more options, so possibilities, not just line of sight control over the optical system.

I have found that these kinds of improvements in tech push us to take images we hadn't really thought of before. I do know that if it had it then people would use it in ways not envisioned, one of the nicest things I like about the RT system is the ease that you can use different modes for each Group, so you could have the MT's two heads in different groups and a background setup in another three. Also I used to find optical triggering inconsistent in strong daylight.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »