August 20, 2017, 03:44:25 PM

Author Topic: Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by TDP  (Read 7974 times)

candc

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by TDP
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »
Just sell them, and buy Sony FE glass.  There's no way that EF lens will outperform native Sony lenses, not to mention ergonomics and all that.

Well, maybe not.  I briefly owned the Sony A7 II and the two kit lenses (28-70mm & 24-70mm) both perform very poorly away from the image center due to the short flange distance of the Sony.  My Canon lenses performed much better with adapter - at least in terms of image quality.  I understand that the higher end Sony lenses are a big improvement over their kit lenses, but the kit lenses are all that many can afford.

I keep asking people about the use of adapters and some (many) have stories like
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2015-10-16-a7r2-5dsr/index.htm
[I don't recommend using that site in general ;)]

i've gotten good results using the metabones IV adaptor on the a7rii. i did not see the edge softness that kr did in his comparison. i compared the canon 16-35 f/4 to the sony version and found the canon better. the sony is about equal at 16 but the canon is clearly better at 35. af is good with normal fl lenses but drops off as fl increases into the supertele range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »

HarryFilm

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
After all this kafuffle about the 6Dmk2,
why not just upgrade to a Canon 5Dmk4
or Canon 1DxMk2? The price really isn't
all that much higher and you can always
LEASE the camera and top-notch lenses for
about $300 to $600 per month for 18 to 24
months and do a $600 to $1000 buyout at
the end of the lease!

Look for audio/production houses in your area
and ask THEM where they LEASE their gear from!

Joules

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
Because it is significantly more expensive, a bit heavier and lacks the Vari Angle screen, for example.  It is simply overkill for a lot of people. And I'm probably not alone in thinking that paying about 60% more (Comparing the price of 2100€ for the 6D II and the 3300€ for the 5D IV in German online stores) when the current 6D II price is already slightly above my budget isn't an option for a hobby.

I'd rather save money and get the 80D or D750 as a replacement for my T3i, both of which would still be a deal better in every aspect that is relevant for me. But the Vari Angle screen is pretty damn high on my priorities list and full-frame is more attractive than staying on the APS-C side of things, so right now the 6D II looks more decent in my eyes. It also has been available from Amazon for "just" 1859€, which puts it close enough to the other two and further apart from the 5D IV.

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »
The 6d2 has image quality that will be mostly usable by most people who will buy it.
It certainly does not come even close enough for a few of us.

It (finally) does have a lot of other good features on it in a nice compact body that will make it more fun and possibly easier to use, whether you're a green-box-shooter, pro, or somewhere in between.

That said, what you're getting for the introductory price is not a bargain by any stretch when compared to the competition.
When the street price hits something around $1500us for a new 6d2 body... then you're getting a reasonable deal, IMO.

If you don't NEED it right now, don't buy it.  Promo pricing is likely to begin by the holidays, likely in the form of discounted kits if that works for you.  Could be next spring before we see reduced MSRP for body-alone.  Watch out for open-box and refurb deals which are often pretty good.

Talys

• EOS M5
  • Canon 80D
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
or Canon 1DxMk2? The price really isn't
all that much higher and you can always
LEASE the camera and top-notch lenses for
about $300 to $600 per month for 18 to 24
months and do a $600 to $1000 buyout at
the end of the lease!

Look for audio/production houses in your area
and ask THEM where they LEASE their gear from!

For me, it's tilty flippy, which I really can't live without since many of my photos make my camera inaccessible (too high) without a ladder.  No fully articulating screen means that I have to use a field monitor; the biggest problem with those is that I have to carry and charge another bag of batteries.

Deal-killers aside, the 5DIV price is a disincentive (though not a deal killer), the size makes 5DIV less comfortable to handhold, and now that I've used it, and 6DII Bluetooth trigger is pretty damn awesome. 

The opposite can be said, though, too: "Why would I bother with the 5DIV?"  Call it my skill level or the type of shots I take (I don't do sunsets or night shots, really), but I don't think I'd really benefit from a fraction of an EV of DR.  I will never shoot videos beyond cute baby raccoons in my back yard that I would be happy with cell-phone quality shots of, and I would never give up size for more weather sealing, because when it's not nice out, I'd rather stay in.

To be perfectly honest, the 80D is an ideal camera for me, with one fault -- I often have ceiling constraints, where I can't get a shot as wide as I want it, because I can't raise the camera any higher.  This happens especially on-site.  And I can't shoot any wider without distortion, which is unacceptable.  Now, these shots are infrequent, but 6DII neatly fixes it.

Dynamic range isn't really an issue for me professionally, because nearly all of the photos have a requirement for the subject to be cut out (transparent background), or against white with natural shadows.  The subjects themselves just don't have anything close to the color range that would challenge the hardware.

From a hobby perspective, the low light benefits are nice too.

For me, 6DII is just a nice blend of features, full frame, and price, with sufficient image quality that I'm happy with the shots that I take.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:17:54 PM by Talys »

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
sounds like Canon was successful with the camera.  Provide an entry level FF that would not steal sales from the more expensive and more profitable 5D M4. :P

Talys

• EOS M5
  • Canon 80D
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
Just sell them, and buy Sony FE glass.  There's no way that EF lens will outperform native Sony lenses, not to mention ergonomics and all that.

Well, maybe not.  I briefly owned the Sony A7 II and the two kit lenses (28-70mm & 24-70mm) both perform very poorly away from the image center due to the short flange distance of the Sony.  My Canon lenses performed much better with adapter - at least in terms of image quality.  I understand that the higher end Sony lenses are a big improvement over their kit lenses, but the kit lenses are all that many can afford.

I keep asking people about the use of adapters and some (many) have stories like
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2015-10-16-a7r2-5dsr/index.htm
[I don't recommend using that site in general ;)]

I will freely admit to having no experience in this respect, so I could be totally wrong.

I was kind of assuming that the original Canon lens would be expensive glass, that would get traded in for expensive Sony glass, though.  It doesn't really make any sense at all to me to trade in a 6D + 24-70/4 and 70-200II... for a Sony a7RII + kit lens :D

I am constantly amazed at how much people will offer me for my used (high-end) Canon lenses.  I do keep them in perfect condition -- they're sold with no defects, with all the original packaging, and they're pretty much indistinguishable from new.  Still, there are very few things in the technology/electronics world that retain value like that, over a period of 5-10 years.  I think good Canon glass is one of the best investments when it comes to professional tools.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »

Skywise

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
I've read lots of reviews of how it's a great entry level FF camera.

But what about those of us that already HAVE an entry level FF camera... like the 6D?  It's marginal upgrade at best with a trade-off of with potentially lower video quality and slightly worse DR but some better DR depending on what ISO you're shooting at.

If it had the SAME video/IQ at all levels of the older 6D I'd at least be thinking of an upgrade to grab the DPAF and video AF capabilities and to a lesser extent the flippy screen.

Maybe when promo pricing kicks in it'll be worth a look... maybe

Ryananthony

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »
I've read lots of reviews of how it's a great entry level FF camera.

But what about those of us that already HAVE an entry level FF camera... like the 6D?  It's marginal upgrade at best with a trade-off of with potentially lower video quality and slightly worse DR but some better DR depending on what ISO you're shooting at.

If it had the SAME video/IQ at all levels of the older 6D I'd at least be thinking of an upgrade to grab the DPAF and video AF capabilities and to a lesser extent the flippy screen.

Maybe when promo pricing kicks in it'll be worth a look... maybe

The same can be said for anyone who is looking to upgrade from one generation to the next. I own a 5d3, and 1dx, I didn't upgrade either of them. For me, it was not worth the upgrade. If you don't feel it is, don't purchase it, wait another generation or change brands.

stevelee

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
If I already owned a 6D, I wouldn't have started reading the Canon Rumors site to see about the 6D2. I'm not suggesting that it is not a good upgrade for some people who have a 6D, just an unlikely one for me.

That said, I have an increased appreciation for the flippy screen on my T3i. Even the tilty screen on my G7X II came in really handy photographing inside the dome of the Colorado state capitol last fall and church towers in Britain this spring.

The sun has popped in and out of clouds today. My eclipse glasses were in my PO box when I checked after church today, and I tried one out by looking at the sun when it was out. I didn't go blind, so the glasses seem to work. I certainly couldn't see anything besides the sun through them.

Then about 2pm the sun came back out, and I took the T3i out to test the filter that came Thursday. I positioned the flippy screen in the shadow of the camera and wore a ball cap. Focusing was not easy, even so. The 75-300mm lens is by far the worst Canon lens I own, but I have made some decent moon pictures with it in the past. So I don't know how much was my fault, and how much was the lens's problem. I'll practice more before next Monday and continue trying different exposures. I don't know if I'm going to view the 98% version here or drive two hours south for totality. Traffic between here and there is a zoo even on good days. I plan to put more emphasis on what I can see and experience over taking pictures. I see that totality in the place I'm considering going to has just over a minute of totality. Not much time to take a filter off. So here is my least bad sun picture from this afternoon:

What you see is the full frame, with the picture reduced in size for posting.

stevelee

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
And while I'm inflicting my flippy pictures from this afternoon on you, here is one as the clouds moved over the sun. It is a somewhat more interesting picture. 5 seconds, f/8, ISO 100. The other picture was taken at 1/200, f/8, ISO 200.

Cropped very slightly and again resized from the original 5184x3456. I didn't do anything to reduce the obvious noise.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »
And while I'm inflicting my flippy pictures from this afternoon on you, here is one as the clouds moved over the sun. It is a somewhat more interesting picture. 5 seconds, f/8, ISO 100. The other picture was taken at 1/200, f/8, ISO 200.

Cropped very slightly and again resized from the original 5184x3456. I didn't do anything to reduce the obvious noise.

Steve, just a guess, but it may be a issue with the filter.  Some of them soften the images a lot.  What brand is it?

I was not thrilled with my first try, then the sun was blotted out by smoke and not visible at all for over 2 weeks, but it does look sharper.  It was captured with my 5D MK III and 100-400mm L II, and cropped way down.  I used live view and live autofocus.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:06:20 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
I have a 6D and a 6D2. The 6D2 beats the 6D in every way. The 6D2 at high ISO is FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!

This is a JPG from the camera, no adjustments, just resampled to 1/2 width to meet file sizes for uploading here...... ISO 102400 on a dark porch. The light source was moonlight through the trees! All the eye could see was that there was a cat in the bag, you could not even tell which cat it was.  the fact that you can get anything under those conditions is amazing!

The second shot is of a fireplace, lit by a 60W light bulb 25 feet away in the far corner of the room, and the lamp has a thick yellow shade on it. This is also at ISO102400.

I also played around some with the time-lapse feature.... easy to use and great results! It lets you expose picture by picture, or from a master frame at the start. I am very impressed with this camera.

The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »

Talys

• EOS M5
  • Canon 80D
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 01:59:47 AM »
Well, a few high ISO 6DII photos to share, all with Sigma 150-600mm.  These shots didn't have to be high ISO; I purposely shot them that way to see how they would come out.  All photos were processed to taste with DPP.

Moon shot, 600mm, f/6.3, 1/500, ISO 2000 (tripod):
The yellow tint of the moon is unedited; it's due to smoke from wildfires near my area.

Stellar's Jay, 347mm 1/800, f/5.6, ISO 4000:

Stellar's Jay, 347mm, 1/800, f/5.6, ISO 4000:

And to go a little crazy, Stellar's Jay, 244mm, 1/800, 5.6, ISO 8000

The ISO 4000 shots came out way better than I expected; I could never have gotten pictures that looked anything like that, at ISO 4000, with an APSC.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:09:44 AM by Talys »

YuengLinger

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »
Really glad to read the many positives in this thorough review.  Not sure why I reacted to early impressions by sites that have largely degenerated to click-bait.

Also, I don't understand the thinking, the expectations of owners of a camera one generation older.  Why would you think any company is targeting you with an incremental upgrade?  The 6D II is for, among others, those buying a first FF camera and those who want a good, reliable second camera that doesn't cost as much as a 5D IV.  If a percentage of 6D owners see AF or other features as a worthwhile upgrade, or have used their 6D to the point of disintegration and want a similar but better replacement, great for Canon and for those replacing their 6D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »