October 20, 2017, 07:39:00 PM

Author Topic: Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by TDP  (Read 12208 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by TDP
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »

The-Digital-Picture has completed their review of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II, and came away pretty impressed overall. While it’s not a perfect camera body, the image quality is great as far as noise and color go, but we’re all disappointed we didn’t get a dynamic range performance bump.

From TDP:

The 6D Mark II did not impress me with its AI Servo AF capabilities, its dynamic range is only adequate and I’m not a fan of the 8-way multi-controller. But, the image quality benefits, especially color and noise levels, of Canon’s full frame CMOS sensors are big, while the footprint of the 6D II remains small – as does, probably most importantly, the relative impact on your wallet. Expectations were that the 6D Mark II would deliver very impressive image quality and rapidly hit the most-popular list. It has delivered on expectations. Read the full review

I still haven’t used the EOS 6D Mark II enough to give my final verdict to folks, but I do like the camera so far.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by TDP
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »

ScottyP

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by TDP
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »
I'm infuriated. I was going to upgrade from 6d1 to 6d2 but no more. I am going to show Canon what I think of this lackluster incremental progress. Now I'm going to buy a 5d4 instead! Ha!  Feel the burn, Canon.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

jedy

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
I'm infuriated. I was going to upgrade from 6d1 to 6d2 but no more. I am going to show Canon what I think of this lackluster incremental progress. Now I'm going to buy a 5d4 instead! Ha!  Feel the burn, Canon.
I hope you're joking 'cause otherwise this comment looks rather stupid.

I've said in another post that Canon customers need this camera to fail to hopefully give Canon a much needed wake up call and realise we won't put up with such lacklustre releases. Sadly I suspect it will sell rather well and Canon will Be laughing all the way to the bank.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:40:13 PM by jedy »
Camera, lenses, blah, blah, blah!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
Canon bypassed Nikon, Pentax, and other camera makers in the 1970's and 1980's with their philosophy of producing lower priced cameras that are very good, but did not include extra bells and whistles.

That philosophy has served them well over time, they are going to stick with it.  They design cameras to be easy to produce and maintain, and price every feature before selecting what will be included.  They have a target market and select features for that market.  I know that many want it to be a different camera, but then it would also be for a different market.

The buyers targeted by this camera are buying out stock at the major camera stores, Canon is delivering them constantly, but they seem to fly off the shelves.  This morning, Amazon has been out for 2 weeks, B&H has them, I did not check others.

Tangent

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »

All kidding aside, the 5D mkIV lacks the tilt flip screen, so it's not a simple as move up and get a superset of the lower model's features.   I'm irritated.

Rockskipper

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
I bought one, took it out of the box and looked at it, didn't even mount a lens, reboxed it and shipped it back.

After shooting with my M5, it seemed monstrous in size, though it was very light. Guess I'm not ready for a FF. I've always had Rebels and found them to be big, so will wait for a FF mirrorless, if they ever come out, or maybe even go to Sony at some point.

But as a woman I have small hands and like to stick my camera in my pocket and don't shoot for money. The M5 is a nice little camera and will be fine for as long as I want. I can put my 100-400 on it with the adaptor when I want to get close, works great. I may even get a SL2 for the meantime.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:25:30 PM by Rockskipper »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
I bought one, took it out of the box and looked at it, didn't even mount a lens, reboxed it and shipped it back.

After shooting with my M5, it seemed monstrous in size, though it was very light. Guess I'm not ready for a FF. I've always had Rebels and found them to be big, so will wait for a FF mirrorless, if they ever come out, or maybe even go to Sony at some point.

But as a woman I have small hands and like to stick my camera in my pocket and don't shoot for money. The M5 is a nice little camera and will be fine for as long as I want. I can put my 100-400 on it with the adaptor when I want to get close, works great. I may even get a SL2 for the meantime.

I am sympathetic, but it was a doomed purchase for you. I mean, if a rebel was too big, there is no way a 6D would work out.

By the way, the camera is not light. I mean, sure, the body doesn't weigh much, but a camera needs a lens too, and unless you were planning on walking around with a 50/1.8, jut about anything that is paired for it, certainly anything wit an L, is going to make it feel humongous. A telephoto that would take advantage of it is going to weigh a kazillion times more than you're likely willing to carry.

But that isn't unique to Canon - just remember, FF lenses are all going to be significantly bigger and heavier than APSC counterparts, and pro lenses are designed to allow in more light, and weather abuse, so will be many times heavier.

Keep in mind too that as you go higher end, the focal range also narrows. So, a consumer APSC lens will go 55-250mm or even from 20-300mm, or more. A pro EF lens will be like 24-70mm or 70-200mm (and weigh three to ten times more), meaning you'll need to carry at least two lenses if you want to shoot a variety of focal ranges. Also, the reach is 1.6x less, so if you were used to shooting faraway subjects at 300mm, to get the same magnification FF you need 480mm -- and that's going to be huge.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:57:32 PM by Talys »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »

I have a G7X II that I use for travel. It takes amazingly good pictures for its size. I just printed out a couple of 13" x 19" prints for framing to hang in my hallway. It zooms in only to 100mm equivalent, but has enough additional resolution over the S120 it replaced to make up for it. I use my rebel mostly on a tripod, so the extra weight of the 6D2 shouldn't bother me.

Isaacheus

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 06:33:24 PM »

All kidding aside, the 5D mkIV lacks the tilt flip screen, so it's not a simple as move up and get a superset of the lower model's features.   I'm irritated.

This has been the most irritating part, I have a 6d now, and really like the flip screens and tilt screens that my friends have on their cameras, so was all lined up for this. Unfortunately, I had mistakenly assumed that the iq would improve too.

There really any option with Canon if one wants better iq than the original 6d, and a flip/tilt screen. I just wonder how many people are in the same as I am

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
That's is the funniest conclusion I've ever read... :). This camera in many respects has worse IQ and worse video quality than the original 6D from five years ago! It is the Canon 6D'oh :-). You've gotta be an idiot to pay $2,000 for it. If you wanted 2007 DR, 2010 video and a 2010 APS-C AF system, you could pick something up from eBay for a fraction of the price.

Except, Bryan doesn't say that it has inferior IQ or video quality than the 6D at all.  How do you get that, out of:

How do the Canon EOS 6D Mark II noise levels compare the original 6D? Despite the increased resolution, the 6D II's noise levels are very slightly improved at the pixel level. Downsizing the 6D II images to 6D pixel dimensions will give an additional advantage to the 6D II results.

He goes on to say that IQ in isolation is probably not enough to motivate an upgrade from 6D to II, and that noise levels are pretty close to 5DIV.

You can disagree with the review, but please don't make things up.

Like you.. I am also thinking about buying Sony but what adapter are you recommending for your Canon lens that would not frustrate with one focusing , delay, etc with different lenses? Or are you thinking of ditching Canon lens and opt for Zeiss and other lens to go with Sony?

Why would you do that?  Canon lens not only have excellent value retention, but they sell very quickly and easily on the second-hand market.  I've gotten 70% back on my original purchase price for lenses that were 10 years old, for heavens sake.  Just sell them, and buy Sony FE glass.  There's no way that EF lens will outperform native Sony lenses, not to mention ergonomics and all that.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
That's is the funniest conclusion I've ever read... :). This camera in many respects has worse IQ and worse video quality than the original 6D from five years ago! It is the Canon 6D'oh :-). You've gotta be an idiot to pay $2,000 for it. If you wanted 2007 DR, 2010 video and a 2010 APS-C AF system, you could pick something up from eBay for a fraction of the price.

Well you might want to read the comments in other threads from folks who have bought and used the camera.  They all find that the IQ is better, the noise much easier to reduce, that the camera is an improvement in almost all aspects over the original 6D.  Sure, the improvements may be small, but there has never been a large improvement from one camera generation to the next - and images from pretty much any FF camera brand are essentially the same.  So, who's the idiot now?

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
Just sell them, and buy Sony FE glass.  There's no way that EF lens will outperform native Sony lenses, not to mention ergonomics and all that.

Well, maybe not.  I briefly owned the Sony A7 II and the two kit lenses (28-70mm & 24-70mm) both perform very poorly away from the image center due to the short flange distance of the Sony.  My Canon lenses performed much better with adapter - at least in terms of image quality.  I understand that the higher end Sony lenses are a big improvement over their kit lenses, but the kit lenses are all that many can afford.

ScottyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
I hope you're joking 'cause otherwise this comment looks rather stupid.

I've said in another post that Canon customers need this camera to fail to hopefully give Canon a much needed wake up call and realise we won't put up with such lacklustre releases. Sadly I suspect it will sell rather well and Canon will Be laughing all the way to the bank.

Now that you mention it, one thing that never fails to make one "look stupid" is to take something literally that was clearly intended ironically.  To break it down for you, it would clearly be helping Canon, not hurting them, to forego giving them $2,000.00 and to instead give them $3,200.00.  Read it out loud to yourself if it helps. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:08:27 PM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »

candc

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »
Just sell them, and buy Sony FE glass.  There's no way that EF lens will outperform native Sony lenses, not to mention ergonomics and all that.

Well, maybe not.  I briefly owned the Sony A7 II and the two kit lenses (28-70mm & 24-70mm) both perform very poorly away from the image center due to the short flange distance of the Sony.  My Canon lenses performed much better with adapter - at least in terms of image quality.  I understand that the higher end Sony lenses are a big improvement over their kit lenses, but the kit lenses are all that many can afford.

I keep asking people about the use of adapters and some (many) have stories like
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2015-10-16-a7r2-5dsr/index.htm
[I don't recommend using that site in general ;)]

i've gotten good results using the metabones IV adaptor on the a7rii. i did not see the edge softness that kr did in his comparison. i compared the canon 16-35 f/4 to the sony version and found the canon better. the sony is about equal at 16 but the canon is clearly better at 35. af is good with normal fl lenses but drops off as fl increases into the supertele range.

HarryFilm

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
After all this kafuffle about the 6Dmk2,
why not just upgrade to a Canon 5Dmk4
or Canon 1DxMk2? The price really isn't
all that much higher and you can always
LEASE the camera and top-notch lenses for
about $300 to $600 per month for 18 to 24
months and do a $600 to $1000 buyout at
the end of the lease!

Look for audio/production houses in your area
and ask THEM where they LEASE their gear from!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »