September 22, 2017, 10:17:39 PM

Author Topic: Eclipse photo prep question/critique  (Read 4344 times)

tpatana

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Eclipse photo prep question/critique
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 01:39:36 AM »

Thanks.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning from Seattle. First east on I-90, then south from Yakima and hopefully we'll get to Madras in one piece before Monday morning.

Funnily enough, I don't care too much for the eclipse part, my main goal is to get the corona during totality. 3 bodies, 2 on tripod and fun backup for funsies. Must remember to tape up all viewfinders as it's in muscle memory to lift the camera up to eye-level. I'm planning to review the pics with my own eyes the next day.

Keep a eye on the smoke maps, Madras is awfully close to some heavy smoke.  You might have to drive North that morning to get out of it.

Same story for Eastern Oregon, smoke is some areas, clear in others.

I don't expect any roads working the morning of, so can't do much else than hope for the best :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 01:39:36 AM »

lion rock

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »
Travel plan is now SCRATCHED  :'(  :(  >:( !!

There is a party for watching solar eclipse at the school I work for.  They provide pizza and solar glasses (don't know if they've enough,) but I've mine.
I don't think I'd join them because of the stuff I've to setup.  I'll go home and shoot from the deck.  From NASA's interactive solar map, I've 91% obscuring.  Not good enough, but the alternative of driving 4.5 hours in heavy traffic and a non determinate location to shoot, plus possible overcast are not that great.
So, using 7DII+100-400/1.4X driven by CamRanger and 60D+70-200/2X driven by Case Air would be my setup.
I need to fix up the vertical adjustment with a screw adjustment so that movement can be much smoother.  And one more day to practice.
-r

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »

Thanks.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning from Seattle. First east on I-90, then south from Yakima and hopefully we'll get to Madras in one piece before Monday morning.

Funnily enough, I don't care too much for the eclipse part, my main goal is to get the corona during totality. 3 bodies, 2 on tripod and fun backup for funsies. Must remember to tape up all viewfinders as it's in muscle memory to lift the camera up to eye-level. I'm planning to review the pics with my own eyes the next day.

Keep a eye on the smoke maps, Madras is awfully close to some heavy smoke.  You might have to drive North that morning to get out of it.

Same story for Eastern Oregon, smoke is some areas, clear in others.

I don't expect any roads working the morning of, so can't do much else than hope for the best :)

Apparently  roads and traffic were pretty wide open today, I hope you made it OK.  Cell phone connection may be a different story.  I hear they were bring in mobile towers, but even then, I hope people only use phones for emergencies.

captainkanji

• EOS 80D
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »
I don't really have the gear for shooting the sun directly. I'm going to take wide shots of the crowd. Carbondale's gonna be busy this weekend.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
Sigma 24 Art, EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

sulla

• EOS M5
    • my flickr page
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 05:21:57 AM »
I shot my last solar eclips back in 1999 in central Europe, then still with film.

I encountered severe problems at the outer protuberances. As I prepared for the event sloppily, I was not aware that the protuberances emitted mostly in the infrared, and most lenses have a different focus for IR light. Morover, the eye can't see it, and so during focussing I did not notice this. Some Canon lenses actually have a separate marking (in red) for IR. This resulted in a sharp edge of the sun and moon, but in significantly blurred protuberances. Probably lenses are better for IR these days? CMOS sensors might be better as well.

I guess a mirror reflector "lens" would be suited better than refractor lenses.
You might try an IR-blocking filter, too, but you will lose details.
5D & EF 8-15, EF 16-35 2.8 II, EF 24 1.4 II, EF 24-70 2.8 II, EF 35 1.4 II, EF 40, MP-E 65 Macro, EF 85 1.2 II, TS-E 90, EF 100 L Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 II

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »
I don't really have the gear for shooting the sun directly. I'm going to take wide shots of the crowd. Carbondale's gonna be busy this weekend.

We are on our way to the Carbondale area, hoping for clear skies and being able to find a decent spot to set up to observe and shoot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:40:27 AM by bholliman »
5DsR, EF Lenses: 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II
M5, M series lenses: Rokinon 12mm f/2, EF-M 22mm f/2, 11-22mm, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

lion rock

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
Best to you!   8)  8)
Keep posted here, please.
-r

We are on our way to the Carbondale area, hoping for clear skies and being able to find a decent spot to set up and observe and shoot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:01 PM »
Im in Pendleton Oregon. We drover to Baker City at 3 AM thismorning and foundthr perfect spot. I setup and took lots of photos but at the totality my camera froze up the canon remote utility just indicated capturing. I dont think  i got even one image. I have not had time to review then as we are out for dinner. There arelots of shots right up to totality. Ill get to the bottom of the issue when i am back on Mt Spokane

lion rock

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:51 PM »
Mt Spokane,
Really sorry to hear this.  Maybe overheating of the camera body?
When I was practicing the procedure a couple of days ago, I noted that the filter shells got quite warm, and since they were a larger diameter, they protected the lenses.  The bodies were not, and they were warm.  I made a heat shield out of cardboard with holes and slipped it over the lenses above the camera bodies.  Kept the camera bodies cool.
Next time, though, I'll have to simplify the procedure, operating two bodies were not good.  Adjusting the tilt of the tripod with heavy twin cameras was difficult, glad I made a bit of a jig with screw tilt adjust.  It helped.  Also, every 30 seconds, I'd to make adjustment to the pan and tilt.
Lastly, the movie function of the 2nd camera was totally a waste.  2 hours action was like watching paint dry.
-r

Im in Pendleton Oregon. We drover to Baker City at 3 AM thismorning and foundthr perfect spot. I setup and took lots of photos but at the totality my camera froze up the canon remote utility just indicated capturing. I dont think  i got even one image. I have not had time to review then as we are out for dinner. There arelots of shots right up to totality. Ill get to the bottom of the issue when i am back on Mt Spokane

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 11:54:26 PM »
I dont think  i got even one image. I have not had time to review then as we are out for dinner. There are lots of shots right up to totality.

Sorry your camera froze at they key moment, that had to be frustrating.  Did your partial shots turn out OK?

Southern Illinois turned out to be a good location, It was very hot but we had clear skies. It was an exhilarating experience, my son and I had a great time and were certainly glad we made the trip.

My photography was a mixed bag.  I messed up the diamond rings on both ends - the shots I really wanted to nail.  I have some good partial shots and decent total images of the corona.  I expected to make some mistakes during totality, but I didn't consider some of the social impacts to photography.  I nice gentlemen was in the middle of telling me a very interesting, but long, story in the minutes leading up to totality (C2).  We were both surprised when it went totally dark and I missed my first diamond ring photo opportunity.  I took a number of bracketed close-up photos during totality, took a few environmental shots with another camera, observed for about a minute and then fumbled my settings for the 2nd diamond ring.  I had my camera set-up to use C3 custom setting for this, it was dark and I accidentally turned to the C2 setting and got some underexposed black frames... 

Overall, my pictures were somewhat below my expectations.  If I could have nailed one diamond ring I would have been pretty satisfied.  But, photography aside, it was a marvelous time and shared experience with my oldest son, which is infinitely more important.  Coming away with some decent pictures is just a bonus.

Here are a few shots that I quickly selected and did minimal processing to.  It will be a few days before I have to to sit down and really review everything on my computer.  The close ups are with my 5DsR, 300 f/2.8 II + 2xiii extender using a Thousand Oaks solar filter.  6D and 16-35 f/4 for the environmental shot.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:50:53 AM by bholliman »
5DsR, EF Lenses: 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II

applecider

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 12:21:11 AM »
From just outside Albany OR,

I hope these qualify as ring and full corona, not sure I got Bailey's beads.
AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8

stevelee

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 03:09:17 AM »
I went to Winnsboro, SC, where an expedition from the college in my town, and my alma mater, went in 1900.

I had promised myself I wouldn't take any pictures during totality, but that was a promise I couldn't keep. I unscrewed the filter, guessed at exposures, and took five pictures before totality started to end. Meanwhile I looked with my eyes and I tried taking a few shots of the crowd with my G7X II. Here are a couple of them:

These are about 55% reductions for posting. 300mm (480 equivalent on T3i) f/14 1/50 sec. and 1/25 sec., respectively.

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
From just outside Albany OR,
I hope these qualify as ring and full corona, not sure I got Bailey's beads.

Nice shots applecider.  Well done!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
I went to Winnsboro, SC, where an expedition from the college in my town, and my alma mater, went in 1900.

I bet you are glad you decided to take a few pictures, these are very nice!

stevelee

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »

I bet you are glad you decided to take a few pictures, these are very nice!

Thanks. I still have mixed feelings about my use of that short time. It seemed like seconds. Months from now the pictures will still be there, as details of the day fade from memory.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »