November 20, 2017, 12:41:15 PM

Author Topic: Stock Notice: Loupedeck Photo Editing Console for Lightroom 6 & CC  (Read 10852 times)

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
Re: Stock Notice: Loupedeck Photo Editing Console for Lightroom 6 & CC
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »
If you've got dials and sliders, you can modify more than one parameter at a time, such as contrast and exposure or blacks and shadow that are not really independent. Much faster than going back and forth between sliders with your mouse.
LOL! Nice idea, but I'd like to see anyone perform this feat in a productive way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »
I literally do it all the time...I'm using the pallette gear setup and with the dials is super easy and smooth to adjust 2 sliders at once.  If you look at an image and immediately say, drop the whites and increase exposer - done, and with the dials you can really fine tune it. 

If you've got dials and sliders, you can modify more than one parameter at a time, such as contrast and exposure or blacks and shadow that are not really independent. Much faster than going back and forth between sliders with your mouse.
LOL! Nice idea, but I'd like to see anyone perform this feat in a productive way.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »
B&H sold a lot of these this week. I have now spoken to 3 photographers that purchased one from the original shipment a little while back and they all love it.
canonrumors.com

Origin Studios

• Canonflex
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »
Seems to be a lot of comments on here from people that haven't used it. Admittedly I've only had the Loupedeck for a few weeks but already it has fitted seamlessly into my workflow. It seriously speeds up a wedding cull & edit and even for a studio shoot the knobs and sliders are far better than using a mouse. The developer is also listening to the community and will be making software updates to allow for further customisation. (Well I guess time will tell on that).

For a pro this is a no brainer, I had been on the fence of using a midi controller for a while but this is better - albeit more expensive.

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 05:00:11 AM »
I literally do it all the time...I'm using the pallette gear setup and with the dials is super easy and smooth to adjust 2 sliders at once.  If you look at an image and immediately say, drop the whites and increase exposer - done, and with the dials you can really fine tune it. 

Of course you can slide and turn two things at the same time - but not with a controlled output (unless with a known fixed amount - but then its much quicker and more precise to use a preset anyway). That's why I said in a "productive" way.

-pekr-

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • 2zone studio
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
Seems to be a lot of comments on here from people that haven't used it. Admittedly I've only had the Loupedeck for a few weeks but already it has fitted seamlessly into my workflow. It seriously speeds up a wedding cull & edit and even for a studio shoot the knobs and sliders are far better than using a mouse. The developer is also listening to the community and will be making software updates to allow for further customisation. (Well I guess time will tell on that).

For a pro this is a no brainer, I had been on the fence of using a midi controller for a while but this is better - albeit more expensive.

I wonder if the SW driver, or whatever it takes to map to LR, can be customised, or simply if other app, if it would remap the kyboard shortcut layout, could be used too? We use on1 Photo apart from LR, so just curious :-)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »
I have serious carpal tunnel as well as a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so using a mouse can be very painful.  My fingers have lost much of their feeling as well, so something better would be worth it.  I've tried touch pads, amd several ergonomic mice to no avail.  I still have several hundred photos unedited that I took in May because of the issue.  Fortunately, I have another month to finish them.  I have done the first 1500.

I agree with Keith, the arrangement of the controls looks unworkable, the sliders need to be easy to operate, and reaching over a knob seems like it would aggravate my carpal tunnel.

I looked at the Behringer X-Touch compact, it has motorized sliders, and Lightroom does give feedback to them, There are software solutions and LR plugins that implement the control.  Its a bit more expensive, but looks to be much better laid out and much more functional.

It turns out that there are many nice options that have better sliders, rotary encoders, and seem to be ergonomically better.  Prices are not that much higher.  I'm not sure why I'd not prefer to buy one of the control decks and low cost or free software.

http://peltmade.com/lrplugins-control.html

http://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-m/

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X-TOUCH-COMPACT-BEHRINGER/dp/B015HBZVX2

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-BCF2000-BEHRINGER-B-CONTROL-FADER/dp/B000CZ0RJ2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »
That behringer compact (the third one on your list) actually looks pretty cool, for a decent price.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
I looked at the Behringer X-Touch compact, it has motorized sliders, and Lightroom does give feedback to them, There are software solutions and LR plugins that implement the control.  Its a bit more expensive, but looks to be much better laid out and much more functional.

There's also this company that customize the X-Touch for LR - just its software is macOS only: http://www.pusherlabs.com/

The hardware customization is a simple mask for the controls, it just make the device a little more user-friendly. It does look better laid out ergonomically, albeit not designed for LR.

What worries me is if the MIDI controls have the required range for the LR controls. For example in some video I've seen that the rotation control of the device allowed only for 4° - LR allows for 45° correction with 0.01° of precision, it's a lot of "steps".

Controls in the basic panel allows for +/- 100, it's 201 steps (including the 0 position), while I see for example PusherLab setting MIDI controls in the 0-127 range, although I don't know if the allow for "decimal" values. [Update - it looks the MIDI messages use only integer values...]

It would be interesting, anyway, to see a well designed and fully functional hardware panel for LR.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:45:17 PM by LDS »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 01:45:37 PM »
If I may.. trackballs can be very useful If an excessive joint movement is out of question for one or another reason. Your palm peacefully rests on it and all the scrolling done by your thumb.
Give it a try at your local computer shop.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

I have serious carpal tunnel as well as a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so using a mouse can be very painful.  My fingers have lost much of their feeling as well, so something better would be worth it.  I've tried touch pads, amd several ergonomic mice to no avail.  I still have several hundred photos unedited that I took in May because of the issue.  Fortunately, I have another month to finish them.  I have done the first 1500.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:10:15 PM by SecureGSM »

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
If I may.. trackballs can be very useful If an excessive joint movement is out of question for one or another reason. Your palm peacefully rests on it and all the scrolling done by your thumb.
Give it a try at your local computer shop.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

I've tried that one and a lot more, probably 10 or 12 different designs.  I thought Amazon was going to ding me for returning so many, so I bought and returned some with my wife's account.  The only way to evaluate one is to use it for a week or so.

Editing large numbers of photos can be painful when my arm and hand are acting up.  its not just the thumb, its the midpoint of my arm caused by a pinched elbow / shoulder nerve.  They said chances of fixing it by surgery were low.  I had surgery on both wrists, and nerve conduction tests show they have improved three years later.  Little chance of further improvement with more surgery.  I also have diabetic neuropathy in my hands and fingers, Typing is difficult, I make lots of corrections.  Feeling the shutter button is nearly impossible, the 5D MK IV is by far the best camera I've owned for guiding my finger to the shutter button.  I've glued on raised buttons for my older cameras, but not the 5D MK IV.

Getting old is the pits, still, I get by, just slower.

I'm tuning up my old laptop to take tomorrow morning to Eastern Oregon, so I've verified it is still working, I'm going now.

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
B&H sold a lot of these this week. I have now spoken to 3 photographers that purchased one from the original shipment a little while back and they all love it.

Looks very interesting but not sure I want to test it for the price.  If I could rent one before I bought that would be nice.

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:31 PM »
Ok. I bought one. Will be here later this week.  This sort of accessory excites me.  I'm old school.  I have worked light and sound boards for many years with manual faders and dials.  I greatly prefer physical controls vs. point and click with a digital mouse over lay.  I took one look at this and said "Oh hell yes" but again, that's just me.  My hand eye coordination works better and faster with physical controls.  Stop and think for a moment if EVERY Canon setting function had to be accessed through touch screen.  We would all be shopping for ropes and gallows.  This is the same thing to me.  A massive board tuned to Premiere or other such video editing suites go for thousands of dollars.  The big time pro Hollywood editors work on boards, not with a mouse.  For $299 for LR?  Oh yeah, I'll take a shot.  If it sucks, I'll send it back.  It's all about what YOU prefer.  For Guys like me?  This is welcomed.
Financial Planner by day, Photography by heart.

5D Mk III, 5DSR, 1DX Mk II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:31 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:56 PM »
Ok. I bought one. Will be here later this week.  This sort of accessory excites me.  I'm old school.  I have worked light and sound boards for many years with manual faders and dials.  I greatly prefer physical controls vs. point and click with a digital mouse over lay.  I took one look at this and said "Oh hell yes" but again, that's just me.  My hand eye coordination works better and faster with physical controls.  Stop and think for a moment if EVERY Canon setting function had to be accessed through touch screen.  We would all be shopping for ropes and gallows.  This is the same thing to me.  A massive board tuned to Premiere or other such video editing suites go for thousands of dollars.  The big time pro Hollywood editors work on boards, not with a mouse.  For $299 for LR?  Oh yeah, I'll take a shot.  If it sucks, I'll send it back.  It's all about what YOU prefer.  For Guys like me?  This is welcomed.

I'm looking forward to your review, but with my Carpal Tunnel, I may have issues that just don't occur to someone with no problems.  Its hurting just to type this, but I do it anyway.

Loren

• Canonflex
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 06:56:30 PM »
Just got mine yesterday.
Processed about 85 photos with it so far.

Really handy for fine tuning lighting and colors. Seems more precise control than I have had with a mouse.
So far I am loving it (for me) it speeds up same conditions processing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 06:56:30 PM »