December 12, 2017, 05:09:27 PM

Author Topic: Patent: Variable Curved Image Sensor Concept  (Read 9126 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Patent: Variable Curved Image Sensor Concept
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
Northlight Images has uncovered a patent showing some curved sensor technology. The interesting part of this patent, is that the level of curvature in the sensor changes depending on the focal length.

You can see in the image above that there is a piston like device that will change the curve of the sensor.

As pointed out by Northlight, a “flat” setting is included here as well, so there should be no compatibility issues with old or third party lenses.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Patent: Variable Curved Image Sensor Concept
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Patent: Variable Curved Image Sensor Concept
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Very interesting. Variable curvature was the missing link in the technology to allow for different focal lengths and compatability with existing lenses.

BurningPlatform

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
Good grief. Brick walls around the world are anxiously waiting for Field Curvature Micro Adjustment functionality in future cameras.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
More lack of innovation from Canon.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

keithcooper

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
When I first looked at this, I wondered just how many times flexing the sensor would be rated for ;-)

It's the sort of thing I can see DPR being full of 100% views with the question "Is this a sign of my sensor cracking?"

Mikehit

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
When I first looked at this, I wondered just how many times flexing the sensor would be rated for ;-)

It's the sort of thing I can see DPR being full of 100% views with the question "Is this a sign of my sensor cracking?"

Good point.
With gapless sensors, where the micro lens covers all the gaps between sensels, what happens to the microlenses when it curves into a 'cup'? They have to distort allow for the varying curvature - that will be an interesting challenge.

rrcphoto

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »

if canon does this first, you know dpreview will have an article on sensors cracking and how long they are rated for.

if sony comes out with it first, they will herald the innovation and say nothing about cracking.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »

Good point.
With gapless sensors, where the micro lens covers all the gaps between sensels, what happens to the microlenses when it curves into a 'cup'? They have to distort allow for the varying curvature - that will be an interesting challenge.

Canon could just leave enough space between the micro lenses for them not to touch each other.

Question is whether the sharpness gained from sensor curvature would benefit more than the loss due to loss of light (= less signal, hence more noise).

Mikehit

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

Canon could just leave enough space between the micro lenses for them not to touch each other.

Question is whether the sharpness gained from sensor curvature would benefit more than the loss due to loss of light (= less signal, hence more noise).

If you are referring to the increased distance to the middle of a curved sensor than the edges I doubt that the shape changes involved will will matter. My guess is that it will be more than offset by fewer peripheral aberrations, and a new (lighter, cheaper) lens design that will need less light bending at the edges and fewer corrective elements.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
Mike, good point as always. I am thinking that this issue may be resolved if the mirror was made out of magnetic fluid or flexible mass with highly reflective properties. quick silver sort of thing with variable level of viscosity and that reacts  and deforms under the application of electromagnetic field to a perfectly concave surface.
not likely practical in DSLR but certainly can be achieved in a larger and stationary applications. Telescopes?

Good point.

magarity

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Good grief. Brick walls around the world are anxiously waiting for Field Curvature Micro Adjustment functionality in future cameras.
If this forum is any gauge there is a large market in people who won't buy a system that won't capture brick walls perfectly.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
.. because if it is not "perfect enough" it may end up being this. I am sure that some creative souls ridicule the issue for being non-issues but it always depends to what degree one can tolerate distorted imagery.   :D :D

If this forum is any gauge there is a large market in people who won't buy a system that won't capture brick walls perfectly.

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »

If you are referring to the increased distance to the middle of a curved sensor than the edges I doubt that the shape changes involved will will matter.

What I had in mind is the smaller microlenses will direct less light into the pixels than gapless microlenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »

Mikehit

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »

What I had in mind is the smaller microlenses will direct less light into the pixels than gapless microlenses.

That is a good point.

RGF

• How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »

That is a good point.

If there is 5% gap between lens due to flexing, the reduction in area will be 10%.  Not a terribly large difference, about a 1/6th of a stop.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »