September 25, 2017, 12:32:27 AM

Author Topic: A Canon DSLR Rumor Roundup Heading into 2018  (Read 18390 times)

preppyak

• EOS 5DS R
Re: A Canon DSLR Rumor Roundup Heading into 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
And yeah, I read on those interwebs that certain cameras were shooting very hot and even overheating shooting 4k.  What brand was that?  Hmmm.  Maybe they're having trouble finding qualified engineers or something.
I was getting overheating warnings in my A7r shooting 1080/24. Sure, it was 85-90 degrees out, but, my GH4 was trucking along nicely shooting 1080/60 and 4k/24 without issue.

Definitely a heatsink issue. Sony body is way too small to have enough heatsink, while the GH4 (with a m4/3 sensor) has an 80D size body

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 08:41:11 PM »
...because of heatsink problems ...
Wow, very deep thought...

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
I hope Canon realize that 5 years cycle of update it is too much. 3 years should be the goal. I know there are not too many advances, but the market is going to be very competitive

I almost wonder if this doesn't have more to do with Wi-Fi and touchscreen support than anything, but they'll throw in a new sensor for sure.

I'm still hoping Canon, someday, brings back APS-H. It's a long dead meme at this point, but that sure would shake up the enthusiast level market.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
On altering the 5 year refresh timing of the 7D line: why?  Because the D500 + 200-500 is stealing 7D2 business, flipping Canon users to Nikon, etc?  I'll buy it when I see the data.  But we have no data.  The D500 is celebrated for its spec list and user experience, but that doesn't necessarily translate to converting Canonites.  It might just be a nice product for Nikonians to enjoy and nothing more.

On a 5DS in 2018:  Unlikely based on past timing/track record, but I'll actually say it's possible.  I'm one of the people looking at the release calendar, past track record, etc. and arguing against Canon going any faster on a refresh than that 'level' of camera should warrant...

7D:  5 years
Most FF models:  4-ish years
XXD:  3 years
XXXD:  2 years

...but that creates an annoying 5DS syncopation / delay with the historical 1DX#/5D#/6D# rollout.  Consider: the 5DS is now sitting without DPAF, touchscreen, 4K, Wifi, DPRAW or the larger base ISO DR performance of the 5D4 and 1DX2.  So you can choose highest resolution or latest-gen tech.

So there is an argument for a one-time 'schedule quickening' for the 5DS to better line it up with the 5D4 so that there is no feature envy between the 5DS and 5D# lines.

- A

Chaitanya

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 10:51:31 PM »
perhaps Canon's lacklustre performance

...is a figment of your imagination.

Nikon down 10%
Canon as a company is flat over the last 5 years
Sony has tripled in value
S&P 500 has gone up 66%

Looking at it that way lackluster seems accurate.
Interesting, somehow Sony has been growing at a steady rate while Canon seems to have stuck their head in ground disregarding Sony and other Mirrorless competition.

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 11:07:15 PM »

Nikon down 10%
S&P 500 has gone up 66%

Interesting, somehow Sony has been growing at a steady rate while Canon seems to have stuck their head in ground disregarding Sony and other Mirrorless competition.

interesting how sony hasn't been growing, simply recovering, and still not back from their financial collapse, their growth from that has little to do with cameras.

but keep on plugging it.. even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »

Nikon down 10%
S&P 500 has gone up 66%

interesting how sony hasn't been growing, simply recovering, and still not back from their financial collapse, their growth from that has little to do with cameras.

but keep on plugging it.. even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Sony is making significant profits from sensors (smartphones, industrial), not cameras (which is a separate division).

Also, too many trolls in this thread today... Wondering if that's because of the solar eclipse?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »

rbr

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 11:37:41 PM »

I'm still hoping Canon, someday, brings back APS-H. It's a long dead meme at this point, but that sure would shake up the enthusiast level market.

I'd like that. I was out shooting with my trusty 1D4 today.  I would love a similar camera with the latest AF and possibly a few more mp's. 

Mikehit

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:52 AM »

Basing your estimate of 7D cycle on one product, and even that product is widely regarded as having been delayed due to late decision to incorporate an updated AF is stretching analysis a bit.
And the FF releases have been 2,3, 4, and 5 years so specifying 4-ish leaves a lot of room for manoevure so the new 1Dx2 can be anything over 18 months away.

tron

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 05:05:47 AM »
On altering the 5 year refresh timing of the 7D line: why?  Because the D500 + 200-500 is stealing 7D2 business, flipping Canon users to Nikon, etc?  I'll buy it when I see the data.  But we have no data.  The D500 is celebrated for its spec list and user experience, but that doesn't necessarily translate to converting Canonites.  It might just be a nice product for Nikonians to enjoy and nothing more.

On a 5DS in 2018:  Unlikely based on past timing/track record, but I'll actually say it's possible.  I'm one of the people looking at the release calendar, past track record, etc. and arguing against Canon going any faster on a refresh than that 'level' of camera should warrant...

...but that creates an annoying 5DS syncopation / delay with the historical 1DX#/5D#/6D# rollout.  Consider: the 5DS is now sitting without DPAF, touchscreen, 4K, Wifi, DPRAW or the larger base ISO DR performance of the 5D4 and 1DX2.  So you can choose highest resolution or latest-gen tech.

So there is an argument for a one-time 'schedule quickening' for the 5DS to better line it up with the 5D4 so that there is no feature envy between the 5DS and 5D# lines.

- A
On the contrary, I believe that maybe the difference gives Canon time to prepare for the next model. An alignment in announcement times would put more pressure to Canon.

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 05:47:12 AM »

I'd like that. I was out shooting with my trusty 1D4 today.  I would love a similar camera with the latest AF and possibly a few more mp's.

You're in luck, Canon already produce such a camera! It's called the 1DX mark II:

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/1d-x-mark-ii/specifications/canon-eos-1dx-mkii-specification-chart.pdf

reef58

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 06:17:57 AM »

- A

I thought that may be a possibility also, but there was an article posted here a few weeks ago which insinuated the D500 was not selling very well.  Who knows buy what you like take pictures and enjoy.

Chaitanya

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »

You're in luck, Canon already produce such a camera! It's called the 1DX mark II:

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/1d-x-mark-ii/specifications/canon-eos-1dx-mkii-specification-chart.pdf
He was getting nostalgic about APS-H format, while 1DX and Mk2 are both FF cameras. Currently I think only Sigma offers APS-H based cameras. Back in the day due to FF yields, APS-H might have been prefered in order to reduce cost of cameras, I dont see why Canon/Sony/Nikon would produce a APS-H camera today when they dont seem to have yield issues.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »

I don't think there's any fundamental reason why Canon would stick to a five-year release cycle with the 7D series in particular. Why should it be on a different "level" than other pro/prosumer bodies, for instance? We only have a single datapoint and to me it seems it might be an exception rather than a rule. OTOH as the market and technology matures, there does seem to be a trend of less frequent releases - for many years Canon pushed out an xxD every two years and an xxxD every year!

I guess the 7D series—and the 6D series which shares the slow release cycle—is somewhat special compared to the well-established 1D, 5D, xxD, xxxD lines. In a sense they are "duals" of each other—the 6D being a slow, low-end FF and the 7D being a fast, high-end crop body. Canon may have considered the original 6D and 7D to be somewhat experimental and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some internal disagreement over whether either of the lines should be continued.

tron

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »

1DXII is 20Mpixels.  27Mpixels are needed in order to get 16.1Mp cropped to APS-H.

(16 X 1.3^2) ~ 27.

But taking into factor the excellent quality of 1DxII yes one could say that....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »