December 15, 2017, 06:54:30 PM

Author Topic: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III on the Way  (Read 7964 times)

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III on the Way
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:43 AM »
Is it still attractive if it comes with M6 sensor and a price tag of US$1000?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:43 AM »

photogreedy

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »
As long as it has EVF I'm buying. Take my money Canon. Please.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
As long as it has EVF I'm buying. Take my money Canon. Please.

probably be no different than the G1X Mark II - which was an external EVF.

especially if they try to keep the size around the same *AND* increase the sensor size.

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »
I use my G7X Mark II for travel and casual shots, and its 1" sensor does really well. The G1X is a larger and better similar camera, right?

I still take photos with my iPhone plenty of times, but it is no substitute for a camera with a zoom lens and a larger sensor.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
I use my G7X Mark II for travel and casual shots, and its 1" sensor does really well. The G1X is a larger and better similar camera, right?

I still take photos with my iPhone plenty of times, but it is no substitute for a camera with a zoom lens and a larger sensor.

I find there is a huge difference between the "1 inch" sensor and the G1x, which is virtually a 7x5 format of the aps -c. Somewhere in between the two sensor sizes is the tipping point between "small" sensors and large.

Zod

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »

Seeing the competitors of recent years, I think this time Canon will abandon the usual primitive viewfinder or an external one, at the expense of raising price and size (it won't be a real compact anyway).
We'll see...

Zod

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
I find there is a huge difference between the "1 inch" sensor and the G1x, which is virtually a 7x5 format of the aps -c. Somewhere in between the two sensor sizes is the tipping point between "small" sensors and large.

The 1" Sony advanced sensor performs nearly as well as the 1.5" Canon sensor  :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »

rrcphoto

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

Seeing the competitors of recent years, I think this time Canon will abandon the usual primitive viewfinder or an external one, at the expense of raising price and size (it won't be a real compact anyway).
We'll see...

I doubt it, they haven't really changed much with the G(3,7,9)x line in that regard.  Still waiting on the 3 to be updated even.

the G1X II never had a viewfinder built in. there really isn't room for one, by the time you put a flash and hotshoe in there without dramatically increasing the size.  then what's the point? may as well get an M then.

it's also pretty compact, almost the same size as an M10 and 22mm 2.0.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:06:15 PM by rrcphoto »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »

The 1" Sony advanced sensor performs nearly as well as the 1.5" Canon sensor  :-\

You've been reading DPReview and DXO mark old Mate ! 😉

When you say the one inch performs nearly as well, is that coming from personal experience ? I can assure you that they are worlds apart in reality.

Zod

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
I doubt it, they haven't really changed much with the G(3,7,9)x line in that regard.  Still waiting on the 3 to be updated even.

But they offer the G5X at least :)

the G1X II never had a viewfinder built in. there really isn't room for one, by the time you put a flash and hotshoe in there without dramatically increasing the size.  then what's the point? may as well get an M then.

I think many people still prefer to have an integrated viewfinder at the expense of the size (not me).
With an M you will never have that type of lens (considering the specifications published a year ago).

Zod

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
You've been reading DPReview and DXO mark old Mate ! 😉

When you say the one inch performs nearly as well, is that coming from personal experience ? I can assure you that they are worlds apart in reality.

I've said "nearly". If I had just looked at dxomark I would have written that the Sony 1-inch sensor is far superior, but I did not.

rrcphoto

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »
I think many people still prefer to have an integrated viewfinder at the expense of the size (not me).
With an M you will never have that type of lens (considering the specifications published a year ago).

I honestly don't know.  canon does.  I guess we'll find out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »