September 24, 2017, 08:42:07 AM

Author Topic: have you got the International Space Station on your eclipse photos?  (Read 1670 times)

Mikehit

• EOS-1D X Mark II

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
Re: have you got the International Space Station on your eclipse photos?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
Cool.  8)

Thanks for sharing.

NorbR

• EOS M5
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »
One had to be at the right place at the right time.

The attached image shows the path of that particular ISS transit. I couldn't figure out how to overlay the path of the actual eclipse, but we've seen it enough in the past few days to visualize it, it's easy to see that the intersection would be pretty small.

Kudos to the photographer who obviously planned this very well in advance. Very cool photos.
5D4 | 6D | 80D | M5 | M
8-15/4L | 16-35/4L | 24-105/4L | 70-300/4-5.6L | 100-400/4.5-5.6L II
TS-E 17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 24/1.4L II | 35/1.4L II | 35/2 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 | 100/2.8L | 135/2L | EF-M and manual lenses

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to overlay the path of the actual eclipse, but we've seen it enough in the past few days to visualize it, it's easy to see that the intersection would be pretty small.

I can do that  :)
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:28:57 PM »
Wow, timing that would be amazing, not to mention actually capturing it.  A very well planned event, or just luck?  I don't think it was luck, but with many tens of thousands of photographers, it might be inevitable that some got the photo.

privatebydesign

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
Wow, timing that would be amazing, not to mention actually capturing it.  A very well planned event, or just luck?  I don't think it was luck, but with many tens of thousands of photographers, it might be inevitable that some got the photo.

Joel Kowsky is a NASA photographer and he used a special 1500fps high speed camera, definitely planned for this one!
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:50 AM »
Hi Folks.
Ok so can anyone please explain why a 1500 frame rate was needed? Obviously not for the exposure as 1/1500th of a second is pretty fast!
Is it the transit across the sky? Plenty of people capture it with normal gear!
Was it simply the time it took to pass in front of the moon? I know it is moving pretty fast, but from memory of watching it a while ago and visualising it passing across a moon sized distance I'm thinking there was a second or so?
Some one please enlighten me.

Cheers, Graham.

Joel Kowsky is a NASA photographer and he used a special 1500fps high speed camera, definitely planned for this one!
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:50 AM »

privatebydesign

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Hi Folks.
Ok so can anyone please explain why a 1500 frame rate was needed? Obviously not for the exposure as 1/1500th of a second is pretty fast!
Is it the transit across the sky? Plenty of people capture it with normal gear!
Was it simply the time it took to pass in front of the moon? I know it is moving pretty fast, but from memory of watching it a while ago and visualising it passing across a moon sized distance I'm thinking there was a second or so?
Some one please enlighten me.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham,

The image is a still from a high speed sequence for video. The frame rate was so they could do a slow motion video of the transit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/36671069126/

Perio

• EOS 80D
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »
Hold on, are you trying to say that ISS exists??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e-RnKAN9qY

Just kidding :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »