May 23, 2018, 05:17:02 AM

Author Topic: Official release of Nikon D850  (Read 64265 times)

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Official release of Nikon D850
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 05:04:31 AM »
As I said on another thread, Canon will answer this. Oh yeah, in 2021 with a 5D Mark V with:

- 36 Megapixels, with a mandatory AA filter so you don't get all the sharpness
- Some improved video, but some last century codec to screw you
- 8 fps (as long as the battery is full or almost)
- No BSI sensor, who would need that?
- No stabilised sensor too
- an ancient regular SD slot
- Some super innovative feature like the dual pixel raw that does absolutely nothing usable
- No AF auto adjustment, if you're missing focus it's your fault, never the camera/lens

MAYBE we get a tilting screen and focus stacking...MAYBE

Canon didn't see my money with the 5D4 and with the way things are going I might still keep my 5D3 for a very long time.

I'd make the move today if I could trade my gear for equivalent Nikon lenses and flashes without losing too much money.

You mean 7fps to compete with Nikon's 'astounding' 7fps or...wait for it...9fps if you spend another $500?
No stabilised sensor when Nikon doesn't have it either?
No Auto adjustment when Nikon has one that no-one finds useful? And where does Canon say 'miss focus its your fault' when they build in AFMA?
Dual pixel raw that does nothing useful but everyone says is great for video?

As for in-camera bracketing - they have not only bought in Sony's sensors but it is looking like they have also bought into Sony's ethos of 'throw in all these fancy things that very few people will use and wow people with the spec sheet' in an attempt to recover dropping market share.

I am not saying the new camera is not looking good (it really is) but impact on the market is yet to be seen n posts like yours are more about gear envy than what is actually useful. The fact you are not willing to take the hit on selling your Canon gear shows how important these features are in the grand scheme of things - but if you are so pessimistic about Canon's future,  if you look at the added enjoyment you will get from owning Nikon over so many years is surely worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 05:04:31 AM »

hne

• EOS 80D
  • Gear limits your creativity
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 06:04:01 AM »
Too bad the AF when recording video is fit for the 90's.
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

Hector1970

• EOS 5DS R
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 06:16:18 AM »
Looks like a good camera.
The betterthe competitors are the more Canon need to respond. I see this as good in the long run. I don't I'll ever switch to Nikon so I need Canon to stay motivated and improving. (Sony are more tempting they are really improving their frame rate on that new camera. Just lacking the long lens to go with it yet but they are probably in the pipeline. I'm not a great fan of the 7DII. I do a lot of sport and frame rate is a huge asset. 20 FPS would capture a lot of amazing action shots. 10 FPS is good but not fast enough to capture all the action.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 07:04:52 AM »
here we go, ladies and Gentlemen:

https://www.camerastore.com.au/nikon-d850-body-only.html

Price: A$5,299.00 body only.

ErlendS

• Canonflex
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
I am a 5D IV user with lots of Canon glass and equipment. I can't help feeling that the D850 is far better in all aspects (except DualPixel AF), and at a lower price point. The problem for Canon is that the consequence of the somewhat poor (especially video) specs of the 5D IV will make it impossible for Canon to really lift their EOS line before they release improved versions of their top notch EOS cameras (1D/5D). I really feel that Canon has screwed me, when they chose not to include technology they actually possess and hoping that I will buy something from the C-line in addition. As I am only an enthusiast wanting a good hybrid camera, that will not happen. Espcially when you can get more complete hybrid cameras from the competition. This is only leading me one step closer to switch to Nikon or Sony. If Canon do not see the writing on the wall soon, I do believe that they might become a victim of their own commercial tactics.

bsbeamer

• EOS 80D
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
This camera simply looks amazing on paper for a fantastic price.  If I wasn't so invested in the EF mount, it would be on my maybe switch to list along with Sony.  I WANT to stay with Canon, but I also want to be making a wise spend of my money.

The 5D IV basically offers DX crop 4K, but not the ability to switch to a DX mode for stills.  That sounds like a simple firmware update that could be offered easily.  (DX crop on FX has been a feature Nikon lovers have loved for years.)

Other than that, I cannot see how Canon can "compete" on paper against this beast without upping their game.  Good luck to Nikon, I hope this competition benefits us all.

djack41

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »
Nikon's announcement pales in comparison to Canon's exciting, long awaited roll-out of the 6D Mk2 and the Rebel T6. In a couple of years Canon might even update the 7D Mk2 with cutting edge features like a tilt screen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »

BeenThere

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 08:38:51 AM »
How many of us would have purchased this camera if it had a Canon label on it rather than Nikon. I would have. If it does well in the market, Canon will take notice, but they are not fast responders. We will be waiting quite awhile.

Mikehit

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
If Canon do not see the writing on the wall soon, I do believe that they might become a victim of their own commercial tactics.

Oh, they've seen the writing - they clearly do not place much emphasis on it. As long as you keep buying Canon you are telling them they are doing just fine.

The 5DIV has been out for less than a year, so it is a recent acquisition for you - why do you suddenly feel 'screwed'? Why did you buy into the second best camera in the line-up while knowing it was so pitifully below your requirements? Why did  you not buy a Sony with an adapter for Canon lenses? That would have been cheaper than the 5DIV.

I am not being awkward here, but I am genuinely interested in the thinking of someone who so clearly disappointed in Canon as a company yet still buys their gear.

Mikehit

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
This camera simply looks amazing on paper for a fantastic price.  If I wasn't so invested in the EF mount, it would be on my maybe switch to list along with Sony. 

You can switch - buy a Sony A7/A9 with an adapter. What is stopping you? That will send more of a message than complaining on a forum.

padam

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
This camera simply looks amazing on paper for a fantastic price.  If I wasn't so invested in the EF mount, it would be on my maybe switch to list along with Sony.  I WANT to stay with Canon, but I also want to be making a wise spend of my money.

The 5D IV basically offers DX crop 4K, but not the ability to switch to a DX mode for stills.  That sounds like a simple firmware update that could be offered easily.  (DX crop on FX has been a feature Nikon lovers have loved for years.)

Other than that, I cannot see how Canon can "compete" on paper against this beast without upping their game.  Good luck to Nikon, I hope this competition benefits us all.

They will release the 5DSR II next year, but their market segmentation is different, it will more expensive and more specialized (so probably even more megapixels but not as much features).

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
oh, many and many. Canon label means also reliability, quality of workmanship, first rate support, usability,  colour magic and resale value going forward. this sets two brands apart for people that value mid to long term benefits of a system the most.

How many of us would have purchased this camera if it had a Canon label on it rather than Nikon.

OSOK

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
The D850 is very impressive. Incredible feature set. Only the 5DSR will have a slight megapixel advantage but that will be lost due to higher noise and lower dynamic range. This body beats the Canon offerings with the sole exception of dual pixel AF.

Priced at $3,300 ..this is a killer camera body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »

ykn123

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Foto Flucke
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
I'm pretty happy with my camera setup (5DM4, 5DSR, 1DX) but of course this is going to be a great camera , not just on paper. Glad for the Nikon shooters they continue to get fine cameras too. I would even buy/try one , just to have both worlds, but the cost of additional decent glass just prevents me from doing so. The only thing that pisses me off really is the price politics of Canon recently. The announced pricing for the D850 is 3799 Euro while the new 5DM4 was above 4000 Euro and even now sells at 3899 Euro from camera stores here. I think the D850 has some features that make it a more enhanced/complete camera , well it's newer. But none of the features really make's me thinking about selling my Canon stuff, just the pricing these days is not fair on the Canon side.
1DX,1DsM3,5DS-R,5DM4,5DM3
35 f1.4 II, Tamron SP 45 f1.8, 85 f1.4 IS, 85 f1.2 II, 100 f2.8 IS, 135 f2.0, 200 f2.0, 16-35 f4.0 IS, 24-70 f2.8 II, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 II

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
I agree with others who noted that Nikon is going all out on D850 with price set on the verge of desperation.
Survival mode comes to mind. I recon they sell this camera $500 short at the very least.  I would say that if it was priced at $3799, it still sells just fine.

....just the pricing these days is not fair on the Canon side.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »