November 23, 2017, 05:41:32 PM

Poll

When you use sRAW/mRAW?

What is sRAW/mRAW?
Not supported by my camera(s)
Not supported by me
sRAW/mRAW is bad name because it isn't RAW.
I'd use sRAW/mRAW if I got ... more DR/less noise/more FPS/...
I'd use sRAW/mRAW if it were better (comment please)
I use sRAW/mRAW very frequently
I use sRAW/mRAW frequently
I sometimes use sRAW/mRAW
I use sRAW/mRAW infrequently
I seldom use sRAW/mRAW
I rarely use sRAW/mRAW
Only with salad dressing. mmm, coleslaw.

Author Topic: sRAW/mRAW... do you use it?  (Read 5018 times)

timmy_650

• EOS M5
Re: sRAW/mRAW... do you use it?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
I have used mRaw a few times, When I have done time-lapse or star trails. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Only when I'm shooting casually and yet am also shooting enough to nearly fill the card; I'll switch down to a smaller raw size then to make the most out of whatever space is left.

But on a job I'd never dream of even beginning without an excess of memory cards to hand, and it's incredibly rare that when I'm shooting casually I take enough photos to fill a card even a third of the way. That may have happened twice, maybe three times in the 13 years since I moved fully-digital?

When SLRs start putting out 100mp+ files then maybe I'll use smaller options if that 'smaller' size still comes up as something like 50mp. For now that is far from an issue and I have a Phase specifically for 100mp files so even if such high resolutions became more common, though they're overkill in many situations, I'm already a little used to it and I'm sure I could adapt if lower-res files weren't available.

Frodo

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
In terms of using low res file sizes by mistake, why are you not using one of the custom functions (C) that specifies full RAW?

In terms of the question, I use full size RAW as if I'm going to the effort of processing in Lightroom, then I want a full res file.  On the other hand, I occasionally use small jpgs e.g. for photos for Ebay.  Hence, having the C functions specifying full RAW.
If gear matters: 5DsR, 6D, M3, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6, EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 430EXII, 270EX, Yongnuo 603C

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »
Would mRAW increase your burst depth?
If so, it might have its moments shooting sports action or BIF.

Do Nikon or Sony offer this odd little feature, or is it one of those exclusive Canon idiosyncrasies?

A few years ago I shot a public relations job and didn't notice that the camera (5D Classic) was set to small jpeg after an assistant had been messing around with it. That was a heart stopper. Oops! However I was amazed with careful processing how viable the files were for press release purposes, the client was happy. But never again.   :P

Note: always check settings if someone else has been using your camera.   :o

-pw

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »

In the case of the 5DS/R, no it does not (buffer stays at 12-14 RAW shots regardless of whether it's full RAW or sRAW). Unsure about other cameras though.

I've learned to adopt a "too much is better than not enough" approach over the years. In short, this means I'll always shoot full RAW, even if my aim is a small web-size pic. I can always downsize a pic, but cannot upsize it (without cost). Can always remove detail but cannot add it. and so on.

In any case, now that we have terabyte hard drives, I always keep the original RAW files - as well as full-size JPGs for ease of viewing - of all the pics I'm interested in keeping from a shoot. Space no longer the concern it once was, and it's definitely liberating.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:34:27 PM by Act444 »

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
I don't think I've ever used the sRAW or mRAW options. I might use JPEG for some quick non essential shots but other than that all my cameras are set to full RAW. I shoot low volume nowadays so even less likely to drop down to smaller file size.
Move along nothing to see here!

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
In terms of using low res file sizes by mistake, why are you not using one of the custom functions (C) that specifies full RAW?

In terms of the question, I use full size RAW as if I'm going to the effort of processing in Lightroom, then I want a full res file.  On the other hand, I occasionally use small jpgs e.g. for photos for Ebay.  Hence, having the C functions specifying full RAW.

Because I don't have a 5D series cameras so therefore I only have 1 or 2 C functions (depending on the camera). I usually reserve 1 for shooting with strobes, and another for shooting action. Otherwise I shoot a lot of Av and M usually with auto ISO. I just never take the camera off full RAW now. Problem sovled!  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
I have experimented with MRAW, quite some time ago, when I was on a long trip and memory cards didn't have the capacity they do now.
The idea is that for some applications, you may not need as many pixels, but you do want the advantages of raw (14 bits, processing in ACR, etc).
I found the savings in file size to be minimal.  It's not worth bothering with.

alvarow

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
Sports people sometimes do mRaw as after a burst it flushes faster to the card. Timelapse people often do as well (no point in having more than 4K resolution most of the time) as that speeds up processing time.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • You talk, I show... who do you believe?
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »
If so, it might have its moments shooting sports action or BIF.

Do Nikon or Sony offer this odd little feature, or is it one of those exclusive Canon idiosyncrasies?

A few years ago I shot a public relations job and didn't notice that the camera (5D Classic) was set to small jpeg after an assistant had been messing around with it. That was a heart stopper. Oops! However I was amazed with careful processing how viable the files were for press release purposes, the client was happy. But never again.   :P

Note: always check settings if someone else has been using your camera.   :o

-pw

This is why I own 6 5D3's and 2 5D4's... Second (and often 3rd) shooters at all event and wedding gigs we are hired for are given studio owned gear for the duration of the assignment. I learned long ago not to trust other shooters or allow them to use their own personal gear. I sync and set all gear before use... no one changes anything. If they do that is usually their last assignment with me. Currently I have two teams of three shooters (including me) and a dedicated gear hound to take care of this for each assignment. I never want that feeling of having to "fix" a problem after the fact. Really amatuer looking and horrible for business.

As for sRAW and mRAW... never use it, but I don't shoot sports where I could see it needed. Only weddings, events and portraiture.
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »