September 19, 2014, 02:03:05 AM

Author Topic: Development of 5Dmk2  (Read 4167 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Development of 5Dmk2
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
After coming from a 1D to the 5D2 i was massively dissapointed with the AF on the 5D2
especially the AI servo and outer point ability to even get a lock in low light let alone track anything

Neuro suggested turning on the 6 assist points (I have no idea why these are off by default)

I found this helps AI servo alot in good light

in low light I dont even atempt to use AI servo and I dont bother with the out points just use the center point and recompose. With f2.8 lenses the center point is pretty good.

But even in good light i have just stopped using the outer points just because I have gotten used to using the center point only even if i dont have time to recompose the 21MP gives enough resolution to crop for a better composition. I've even stopped using the outer points on the 1D just because I have modified my shooting style to centerpoint and recompose.

Adding a manual focus screen and using manual focus also fixes many AF issues :P

I am really looking forward to these next gen 5D cameras with Pro AF then I change my shooting style back

I would rather not have to concentrate on workarounds for the limitations of the AF system
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »
After coming from a 1D to the 5D2 i was massively dissapointed with the AF on the 5D2
especially the AI servo and outer point ability to even get a lock in low light let alone track anything

I only realised the limitations of the 7D when I updated to the 1D4.

I think you will find the 7D is not much better (if at all) in low light than the 5D (on the centre point). Even if the 7D focuses it wont servo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »