December 11, 2017, 12:55:14 AM

Author Topic: Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]  (Read 9456 times)

transpo1

• EOS 80D
Re: Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
Oh my. If the first APS-C body from Canon to get 4K turns out to be a PowerShot? I expect some people are going to explode  :o

I think that too, but how can they NOT at this point? While I personally don't care about 4K. From a marketing standpoint, it's getting to the point of incompetence.

Amen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »
Although I don't think it will happen, one way that they could get an APS-C size sensor in a powershot without needing a ludicrously large lens (relative to previous powershots) is to use the curved sensor tech they've already patented.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

EduPortas

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
Incredibly, the G3X has both headphone and mic inputs,
something sorely lacking in most other high and low-end models.

So maybe they are on to something trying to move the whole compact line upmarket.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 12:23:59 AM »
As for 4K, it can be implemented on almost anything.  However, a quality implementation is a different story.  We went thru the same discussion several years ago with 2K.  There were cheap implementations that were shams, but many bought into them based on the 2k specification without really knowing they were not getting a quality implementation.  That's when the 5D MK II blew them all away.

Things are a bit different now, there are some good quality 4K cameras out there along with the sham devices.

Andreasb

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »
I'm not interested in 4K movies. And I don't think I'm alone. If you want that there are plenty of choices around.
I would like to see the upcoming (?) G5 X II to have a much better lens that isn't so soft in the corners and better overall performance, less shutter lag, better fps and buffer. 24 MP AP-c would be amazing but I doubt they can fit that in such a small body. So I will settle for a 1 or 1.5 inch sensor. And if it has these improved features: Yes, Canon I will be first in line to buy one!

c.d.embrey

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
How about a Ricoh GR II like camera https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159252-REG/ricoh_175843_gr_ii_digital_camera.html An 18.3mm f/2.8 (28mm FullFrameFOV) prime lens with a 1.6 crop sensor. Made with the Canon 24Mp sensor, instead of 16Mp.

I think that this would be the ultimate street-photo camera.

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
My travel cameras have been an S95, then S120, and now G7X II. I have taken good pictures with all of them. The S120 is small enough for me to throw in as a backup when I go on a long trip. The G7X II is at the upward end of what I consider pocketable. If I wanted something between it an my Rebel, I'd go mirrorless, I guess. Or maybe I could just put a nice pancake lens on the Rebel to travel sort of light.

The S120 would fit in my shirt pocket if nothing else was in there. The G7X II is just enough thicker that it won't. But it is fine for a jacket or pants pocket, though at the limit of what I'd want to put in the latter. So I don't think I'm likely to go for a G-class camera with an even bigger sensor.

I think the move to a so-called 1" sensor was worth the extra lens bulge and the loss of zoom between 100 and 120mm equivalent. (The increase in resolution is such that cropping a 100mm shot on the G7X II to the same coverage as 120mm on the S120 still gives more pixels than the full S120 shot.) (Using TV camera tubes from the '50s as the standard for digital sensor measurement strikes me as really odd.)

Right now I have two pictures I made in Scotland with the G7X II printed out on 13" x 19" paper lying nearby, waiting for me to put them into the frames to hang in my hall gallery. Looking at them close up, the only problem I see is with the landscape: I might have overshapened a bit for printing, so that some features on the ground in the right part of the picture look a little too prominent. That will likely be toned down enough in the fame and being viewed from a normal distance. If not, I think I still have the file I used for printing, and I could go back and mask (or partly mask) that area on the sharpening layer and reprint. It is certainly no problem with the camera or sensor itself. The chapel interior shot you may have seen in a thread here on DR and/or HDR, since it has detail in the murky corners without washing out the stained glass windows.

Between the quality of these pictures and of my recent eclipse pictures made with my Rebel and marginal 75-300mm zoom, I'm wondering why I'm contemplating spending $2,000, plus maybe a kit lens, to get a FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
My travel cameras have been an S95, then S120, and now G7X II. I have taken good pictures with all of them. The S120 is small enough for me to throw in as a backup when I go on a long trip. The G7X II is at the upward end of what I consider pocketable. If I wanted something between it an my Rebel, I'd go mirrorless, I guess. Or maybe I could just put a nice pancake lens on the Rebel to travel sort of light.

I bought a G9 X Mark II on the spring. I considered also the G7 X Mark II but when I took it in my hand it was like holding the EOS M, not like a small camera. I d not carry it on picket but on the belt.

I doubt it would make any sense to try to put APS-C sensor in these small cameras. Similarly with G3 X the size would become excessive. It already is very large. Canon lacks a small camera with one inch sensor and extended zoom. Panasonic has one with 10x zoom. On the G1 X follower it would be good. I do not think there are compact cameras with zoom and APS-C. Some hope for one with a prime but that would be a marginal product that would not fit to the Canon line.

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
I doubt it would make any sense to try to put APS-C sensor in these small cameras.

Phone eat low end of market. Better picture/camera require to sell small camera.

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »
This camera could be a very interesting product for me if it has a decent 24MP sensor, a good short zoom and reasonable fps and prosumer robust build.

I doubt that will happen but if it did I would be able to shoot the bulk of my commercial work with it.
A leaf shutter lens is still the best solution for flash. As I use flash on virtually all my jobs this would be a God-send.

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 03:57:11 AM »
I doubt it would make any sense to try to put APS-C sensor in these small cameras.

Phone eat low end of market. Better picture/camera require to sell small camera.

There is no comparison between phones, and cameras with zoom and one inch (16 mm) sensor. Best phones typipically have some 7 mm sensor and fixed wide angle lens.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »

There is no comparison between phones, and cameras with zoom and one inch (16 mm) sensor. Best phones typipically have some 7 mm sensor and fixed wide angle lens.

Yes, there's no comparison at all...except in the minds of consumers.  The convenience of a smartphone camera far outweighs the larger sensor and zoom lens, as you can clearly see from the tanked sales of low-end P&S cameras.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 10:54:49 AM »
Yes, there's no comparison at all...except in the minds of consumers.  The convenience of a smartphone camera far outweighs the larger sensor and zoom lens, as you can clearly see from the tanked sales of low-end P&S cameras.

Cameras with one inch sensor are hardly low end. The shipments of compact cameras in January-July are up by 13.5% in numbers and 26.6% in value. The mean price of a compact camera was 16 900 yen when in 2012 it was just 9200 yen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 10:54:49 AM »

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
As for 4K, it can be implemented on almost anything.  However, a quality implementation is a different story.  We went thru the same discussion several years ago with 2K.  There were cheap implementations that were shams, but many bought into them based on the 2k specification without really knowing they were not getting a quality implementation.  That's when the 5D MK II blew them all away.

Things are a bit different now, there are some good quality 4K cameras out there along with the sham devices.

Agreed.

These days Canon is always "late to the party" but they make a grand entrance.
I expect the 7D3 and 90D to put some very real pressure on the "Stills+Video" market. Most 4K implementations are not great, there's lots of room for Canon to come in and shake things up.

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Can't argue with the convenience factor. I had my iPhone with me last night, and no other camera. I went to a women's volleyball game last night against UGa. When I arrived I saw that the bleachers across from me were removed, some still stacked on the floor, in anticipation of real seats. I wanted a picture to post on line for the basketball fans who were wondering the status of that update. The focal length of the iPhone was perfect for that.

Then as we were one point away from winning the first set, the men's basketball players sitting in the east end zone stood up to cheer, with most holding up one finger. I knew that was a picture the basketball fans would especially enjoy. The guys were very far away, and I had no zoom lens. I took the picture anyway, and cropped it mercilessly when i got home. It made a 1000-pixel-wide passable picture on the internet. People could recognize the players.

I'm sure practically all of us could relate incidents like that. I think it is great that we always have some sort of camera with us at all times, no matter how much wonderful photo equipment is back at the house. In this case, the iPhone was adequate for the purpose, and maybe for a lot of consumers it is adequate for most purposes. I could have easily had the G7X II in my pocket, but thought of no reason to take it. I knew there would be pros there photographing the game, so I didn't need to. I just wanted to watch the game and hang out with other fans I know. In fact, when I cropped the picture of the players, I left in the photographer up on a ladder above them, and also got the bottom of the scoreboard showing the context.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »