September 21, 2017, 03:46:32 PM

Author Topic: Sigma To Offer Installation of Rear Filter Holder for 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Lens  (Read 3322 times)

SecureGSM

• EOS 7D Mark II
And what was / is the Canon's filtering solution for 11-24 F4 L ? or Tamron's for their 15-30 F2.8?
There are some third party solutions available now of course. AFAIK, none of them is compatible with 11-24 F4 at the 11mm end due to excessive vignetting.
As engineer, you should know full well, that there is no such a thing as 1 hour design to production for a responsible manufacturer. There are quite a few check boxes that have to be ticked and points verified.

Like others have mentioned, this should have been standard at the start of shipping. As someone who has worked with CAD software like Solidworks and as a mechanical engineer. Yea this would have been no more then an hour of someones time at most. Actually only 5 mins of their time, the other 55 is to make sure its perfect for production. IMHO, no lens should ever be designed and shipped without some form for filter in mind. Now you can get filter systems for these lenses that use the super large square filters, but they are costly. That said, those filter systems normally interfere with the focusing ring on the Sigma 11-24 Art. Which isn't to great since the lens is horrible at focusing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:55:52 AM by SecureGSM »

canon rumors FORUM

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
There are some third party solutions available now of course. AFAIK, none of them is compatible with 11-24 F4 at the 11mm end due to excessive vignetting.

The Fotodiox Wonderpana FreeArc XL and Nisi 180 system both offer vignetteing free 11-24 use at 11mm.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

SecureGSM

• EOS 7D Mark II
Thank you for the clarification, PBD. I stand corrected.

The Fotodiox Wonderpana FreeArc XL and Nisi 180 system both offer vignetteing free 11-24 use at 11mm.

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
I didn't realise Wonderpana had a filter holder for the 11-24mm.
$229. That would end up being around 300 Euros even before you buy the extra large filters.
369 Euros for Nisi GND filter. (I see NISI have a filter holder too but it doesn't say if it works at 11mm).
It would easy to get to a thousand euros and beyond to have a set of filters.
At that price I might be tempted to get a black card instead and go back to my old rear filters.
I assume you'd have to be very careful in high winds with a 180mm Filter.
I'm amazed there isn't more competition in filters. The margins must be good.
Maybe glass manufacturers own these companies (if not they are missing a trick).
The new LEE filters and Hitech filters are all very expensive. So are NISI (which I actually like - especially the ones with a hydrophobic coating - the stand LEE GND are very annoying in any type of sea mist or rain. They fog very easily. You have to keep them dry).
Their advantages between expensive and super expensive filters are only marginal.
Yes they have less cast but it really wasn't a major issue in the past and removable.
I keep the 11-24mm to cloudy days.
It's a very interesting lens but maybe not practical. It's really front heavy.
It can get you unique photographs at 11mm but a 16-35mm is more practical.
I was testing out the 14mm F1.8 yesterday and my thoughts are similar.
I bought it for astro but will probably only use it for that.

ExodistPhotography

• EOS M5
  • Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
    • Joe's Photo & Video Channel
And what was / is the Canon's filtering solution for 11-24 F4 L ? or Tamron's for their 15-30 F2.8?
They have no excuse either.

As engineer, you should know full well, that there is no such a thing as 1 hour design to production for a responsible manufacturer. There are quite a few check boxes that have to be ticked and points verified.

Others beat me to it on the fotodiox solution. But that solution for example was what I was talking about the focusing ring being hidden when using the filter system.

As far as a one hour design, for something that simple. If it takes you longer then that to come up with a solution you would not have a job very long. Then again, the world is going to crap.. So what do I know..

SecureGSM

• EOS 7D Mark II
yep, that simple until you found out that you knocked camera's mirror with your quick solution, caused weather sealing problems, dust ingress, lens performance issues or something else to this effect. and now enjoying multi million dollar claims or have to ensure that technicians are trained, lens is serviceable and warranty can be honored past the installation. 

I have learned that building a prototype and proper test runs is important.

As far as a one hour design, for something that simple. If it takes you longer then that to come up with a solution you would not have a job very long. Then again, the world is going to crap.. So what do I know..

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
And what was / is the Canon's filtering solution for 11-24 F4 L ?

Rear gelatin filter, same as I would expect the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 to have been sold with from the beginning.

canon rumors FORUM