October 23, 2017, 03:09:06 PM

Author Topic: P. audax on thistle bush  (Read 1101 times)

Drainpipe

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • It's all about the little things.
    • Check out my Instagram!
P. audax on thistle bush
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »
Very happy with these two shots, especially the first. Tried something new, and bumped my ISO to 400. I usually don't dare go above 200 for fear of noise. I think these have acceptable levels while also exposing correctly for the background. Super excited to try these settings some more.

Shutter speed: 1/200

ISO: 400(!)

Aperture: f/11

Flash: both heads set at 1/4

Untitled by Brice Nihiser, on Flickr

Untitled by Brice Nihiser, on Flickr
Canon 5DII | MP-E 65mm 1x-5x f/2.8 | MT-24EX
My macro Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

canon rumors FORUM

P. audax on thistle bush
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »

lion rock

• EOS 5DS R
Re: P. audax on thistle bush
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
Great shots, Drainpipe.
The reflections on the eyes are un-realistic, though that's the effect of a close up.  Not much one can do about is, just chalk it up to great focus and high clarity!
Really depends on the camera on what ISO you use.  400 is very acceptable on many cameras.
I often leave mine at that value, unless I run into over-exposure, saves me from handshake and under-exposed in the early evening.
-r

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »
Those reflections that look like pupils make it look so cute and anthropomorphic :D

Click

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:25:41 AM »
+1

Great shots. Well done, Drainpipe.   :)

Drainpipe

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • It's all about the little things.
    • Check out my Instagram!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
Great shots, Drainpipe.
The reflections on the eyes are un-realistic, though that's the effect of a close up.  Not much one can do about is, just chalk it up to great focus and high clarity!
Really depends on the camera on what ISO you use.  400 is very acceptable on many cameras.
I often leave mine at that value, unless I run into over-exposure, saves me from handshake and under-exposed in the early evening.
-r

Yup, the reflections are definitely un-realilistic, but I think it serves a great purpose that Sharlin mentions: anthropomorphism of the subject. A lot of people are fearful of spiders, and this almost makes them a little cuter for most folks. I have people on my Instagram who otherwise would have never interacted over a spider- suddenly commenting and leaving feedback. I think arthropods get a bad rap anyways, so making them a little more pleasing sort of serves a greater good.

Plus, I never have to worry about the spiders not looking like they're looking at me, those "pupils" are always dead center!  ;D

Those reflections that look like pupils make it look so cute and anthropomorphic :D

Yes! I love this effect.

+1

Great shots. Well done, Drainpipe.   :)

Thank you, I appreciate it!
Canon 5DII | MP-E 65mm 1x-5x f/2.8 | MT-24EX
My macro Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

DrHook

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »
Love these, tack sharp too.

canon rumors FORUM