November 27, 2014, 03:10:21 PM

Author Topic: 60D or wait?  (Read 9543 times)

Eugene

60D or wait?
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
I have been using the 450D since it's been released and though it was time for an upgrade, problem is, I don't know if I should wait for the 70D or get the 60D now.
I assume the 70D will have a Digic 5 processor, = to 75% better noise performance and better videos if I'm not mistaken.
Am I in a hurry for it? Well, no, not really. Although I do have some important events coming in a few weeks, I should be able to deal with them with the 450D. What I do have, is a trip in October, this is the trip in which I desire to have an upgraded camera rather than my 450D.

canon rumors FORUM

60D or wait?
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
Re: 60D or wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
I really like the articulating screen on the T3i as I've been using that recently for video. If you're not shooting video though the 60D is kind of a wash in my opinion. I currently have a 50D and am quite happy with it. The 60D is really a step in the wrong direction. I'm hoping the 70D returns the autofocus adjustment. If not I'm  looking at getting a full frame body then. So my opinion would be to wait. I'd say there's a good possibility of the 70D getting released before or around October and the T4i should be coming out even before that I would think. If you have money burning a hole in your wallet you can always invest in glass.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

Eugene

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »
The articulating screen would still be useful for photography in my opinion. There were a few situations where I had to kneel very uncomfortably.
All I really hope for the 70D to be is a better performer in ISO, I don't REALLY care about a magnesium alloy body, but I wouldn't mind having one.
Having said that, is there a chance in auto-focusing system upgrade? Maybe more than 9 AF points? Would be useful for my sport events.
The 60D released for sale sometime during September in 2010, if I'm correct.
I also just remembered I have an event I have to go to during the end of March-Start of April and an event during the end of June-Beginning of July where it would be in a very low light environment, so the ISO improvements would be really important.
I really do want to upgrade to a XxD line instead of XXXD line due to the more "durable" and "bigger" sized body, also due to the cross type af system (I do sport events sometimes, wouldn't mind having it) 

Beautor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
My biggest suggestion is that you don't upgrade your camera just before an event. Unless you only use the fully automatic mode, you want to give yourself at least a month of regular shooting to get used to the feel and function of your new camera. You really don't want to be fumbling to change settings when that perfect shot comes along. I bought my wife a 60D a few months ago as an upgrade from her T1i, and it took her a couple of weeks before changing settings became natural and smooth.

As for which camera you pick, There's no firm release, or even rumours about the 70D, so we really have no idea what it will be. I'd suggest that if you're not in a hurry just wait and see if there's any great deals on a 60D. If you find one snap it up, and if not maybe the 70D will be announced in the mean time.
Simply a hobbyist with an expensive hobby.
40D & 60D, 24-70L, 70-200 F4L, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 No-VC

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »
if it were me i'd wait until the Rebel t4i is announced. of course it's going to have Digic 5 and thus by default the best APS-C noise performance Canon offers. but what you should pay attention to is whether the Rebel t4i gets a new sensor or is still keeping alive the 7D1's sensor as I think the t4i and 70D will have the same sensor. at that point i would be able to make a more informed decision between high ISO performance/new features of the t4i, the ergonomics and speed of the 60D or waiting for the best of both worlds with the 70D.

unless the 7D and 60D lines merge again just one model version after they both split off from the 50D, I would not expect the 70D to have better AF than the 60D. however it's important to note that the 60D's 9 point AF is significantly better than the Rebels' 9 point AF because it has 8 more cross-type points.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »
I have been using the 450D since it's been released and though it was time for an upgrade, problem is, I don't know if I should wait for the 70D or get the 60D now.
I assume the 70D will have a Digic 5 processor, = to 75% better noise performance and better videos if I'm not mistaken.
Am I in a hurry for it? Well, no, not really. Although I do have some important events coming in a few weeks, I should be able to deal with them with the 450D. What I do have, is a trip in October, this is the trip in which I desire to have an upgraded camera rather than my 450D.

Noise performance has hardly changed at all in the last several years, take a look at DXO mark results. You'll get a small fraction of a stop, not something you'll notice in everyday shooting. I'd go with the 60D unless there is a particular feature you're holding out for that is missing on the 60D.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Eugene, I've got a 60D an have been shooting 50k+ pictures over the last year, so here's my 2 cents:

* concerning "wait" see the eos body timeline at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rumours.html ... I think they will replace the 7D first and then let the features trickle down

* articulating screen: when I bought the body I thought that this would be really useless for photos since pro bodies don't have it. I have been wrong, it really is useful - while I'm not shy to lie flat in the mud to get a good picture, you can get good *overhead* shots w/ the screen tilted down. And it's a nice protection when the lcd is turned inwards.

* same goes for the "plastic" body - it's actually quite solid, I have been dropping more than one time from shoulder height. What is likely to break is your non-L lens, not the body.

* imho, the 60D has no af because it does not really auto focus. It is a focus helper if the object you want to shoot happens to be near one of the 9 sensor fields. The servo af is extremely outdated compared to 7D/1D.

* the advantage of the 60D is that it is using balanced/proven technologiy, has good ergonomics and "just works". ISO noise is non-existant up to 200/400htp, and ok up to 800. I am shooting raw, and I really don't think a faster DIGIC would change the noise level significantly, using Lightroom4 or another sensor does this.

* last not least: the very most important advantage is that magic lantern works on 60D, you won't get this for the 70D when it's released.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

Eugene

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:55 PM »
Well, there is not specific feature that I find myself missing out on when looking at reviews of the 60D. I just thought perhaps I'd like the latest and greatest upgrade..
I went to look at my local retailers and managed to bargain my way to $932.
I've read over and over again at how Digic 5 will have 75% noise performance, so is this not true?
I suppose the 650D would be announced on March the first, according to the recent rumors.

I don't plan to use magic lantern before I play with it for quite some time.

The servo af is outdated? Really? Is it also outdated on the 600D?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
Well, there is not specific feature that I find myself missing out on when looking at reviews of the 60D.

The servo af is outdated? Really? Is it also outdated on the 600D?

One thing to keep in mind - generally, lenses matter more than body.  If you're shooting primarily landscapes from a tripod, or other situations where you're usually at f/8, it might not matter as much - kit lenses like the 18-55mm and 18-135mm are actually decent when stopped down.  But if you need to shoot wide open, getting a faster lens with better IQ will probably have a much bigger positive impact on your images.

Having said that, if you do have good lenses (f/2.8 zooms, faster primes), there's one feature missing from the 60D which I'll never buy a camera without - autofocus microadjust (AFMA).  That allows you to calibrate specific lenses to the AF system in your camera.  With slower lenses, the DoF is deep enough to mask focus errors, but I can't imaging shooting at f/1.2 to f/2.8 without a properly calibrated lens. Without AMFA, the only way to get that done is to send lenses and body to Canon.

RE the AI Servo AF, outdated isn't the right word, obviously, as the 60D is newer than the 7D or 1DIV.  But those two higher-end cameras have better tracking algorithms and capabilities, as well as more densely-packed AF points to give those better algorithms more data to accurately predict subject motion, compared to the 60D.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

shermanstank

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »
I do have, is a trip in October, this is the trip in which I desire to have an upgraded camera rather than my 450D.

My best suggestion is to wait for now. You could ALWAYS RENT gear for those special trips/occasions.  There will be tons of announcements throughout this year,  which will help you  become a more informed consumer prior to making purchases.

Cheers!

Sherwin

Eugene

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
I suppose only the 7D and higher class has autofocus microadjust?
So this basically controls the DOF.....? Sorry, not familiar with this function.

Where I live, I can't quite find a place for renting equipment...  Darn it

shermanstank

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »
Where I live, I can't quite find a place for renting equipment...  Darn it
http://www.adoramarentals.com/   -----   ADORAMA, which is based from NYC  has an excellent rental department.   

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:08 AM »
I suppose only the 7D and higher class has autofocus microadjust?
So this basically controls the DOF.....? Sorry, not familiar with this function.

The 50D has it, but Canon omitted it from the 60D, so other than the 50D, only recent single-digit bodies have it.

Doesn't control DoF, it allows a user to correct for small errors of front- or back-focusing.  Basically, lenses and bodies are manufactured within certain tolerances, so if your body is at one end of the range and your lens is at the same end, no problem, but if your body and lens are at opposite ends, you'll have AF errors - your focus will consistently be either behind or in front of where you want it to be.  AFMA will have the greatest benefit for lenses with fast apertures (f/2.8 and wider), because the thin depth of field at wide apertures makes even small focus errors more evident. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:08 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 03:31:30 AM »
AFMA will have the greatest benefit for lenses with fast apertures (f/2.8 and wider), because the thin depth of field at wide apertures makes even small focus errors more evident.

* micro adjust: It is correct, that Canon unfortunately left this feature out for marketing reasons (to widen the gap between 60D and 7D) and I would like to have it, too. Having said that, it really only matters for very large apertures and even many pros haven't even heard of microadjust. It matters if your lens and body are unfortuneate enough to suffer from production variances, because of course the Canon parts are made to fit without further adjustment. On my 2.8 macro and 1.8 prime the focus is where it is supposed to be - if the af does the job once in a while :-)

* af: the 60D is newer than 7D, but they just copied the af system from older bodies - so outdated actually is the right word... but as I wrote if you don't use servo af and have the time to bring the part you want to focus on a sensor field and then re-compose the scene, it works just fine.

* noise: a newer processor might lower nose levels on *video* if you're shooting videos in low light conditions. But if you plan to do that, you should really get a ff 5d2. For ok light conditions, the Canon 18mp sensor is sufficient. For *pictures* noise levels, the digic doesn't matter at all afaik - the raw file is just a copy of the sensor data. What does matter is postprocessing with picture-adaptive denoising (noise ninja, lightroom 4).

* magic lantern: having added the latest additions for photo-shooting, this is an absolute killer feature, trust me, you'll never want a camera (read: Nikon) without it again. For video, it is a must-have. But of course if you're struggling with basic camera controls at first, it is advanced.

Eugene

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 03:40:09 AM »
Sounds like buying the 60D right now wouldn't be much of a lost....!
So, wait, the new Digic 5 would barely make a difference for photography purposes?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 03:40:09 AM »