October 23, 2017, 07:39:05 AM

Author Topic: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]  (Read 19826 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018. Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.

If we’re thinking out loud, I think these would be the obvious candidates.

• EOS Cinema DSLR
    • A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.
  • EOS-1D Xs
    • A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III. 
  • EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR
    • A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.

Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a [CR1] rumor, so please treat it as such.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:31:18 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »

cenkog

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
Too late, thx

JohanCruyff

• EOS 80D
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018.
Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.
EOS Cinema DSLR - A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.
EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.
EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR - A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.
Hopefully this will bring a bit more information to the surface. For the moment, this is a [CR1] rumor, so please treat it as such.

...and maybe a Full Frame Mirrorless.

Some think that the EOS numbering has recently become stable ad predictable even for the M series.

No complete overlap between DSLRs and Mirrorless, but it could sound like:
100D/200D in Europe (SL1/2 in other Countries) and EOS M100: basic and small models
6D and M6: enthusiast models
5D and M5: more advanced models
Therefore, I expect to see a M1 (full frame mirrorless) as ambitious as a 1D(x).
We'll see.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:14:38 AM by JohanCruyff »
Italian amateur. Gear: 6D, 70D, various lenses
My Android Trivia App for Music/Movie Experts: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=threeviasoftware.threevia&hl=en

crazyrunner33

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.</em></li>

Hopefully they mean "protect" as in giving me a reason to buy this instead of another Panasonic.

Gregg

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
Yes, a decent pro DSLR in a 1D body is certainly required.  We don't need more pixels.  We need far better pixels. 
Better bit depth (min 16) and better dynamic range (>= 15) in a pro body. 
30 Megapixels is perfect.  I was printing 6 meter tall images from my 5D IV recently which you can see here.
https://www.instagram.com/greggfoto/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:27:31 AM »
  • EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

This one would get my $$$$.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Andreasb

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
Another option would be an AP-C body with a built in grip, all of us serious birders would be so very happy with that as a replacement for the 7DMKII.

24mp AP-C, better DR, 12-14 fps, 1dX II like AF or better, better buffer and CFast cards. Would be just what I would like. Although unlikely, better  high ISO performance as well would be nice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
  • EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

It wouldn't get my dollars, but it surely would get my vote of being the most likely.  Folks prepared to spend $6k on a great new body now have a choice of a 1-series feature set OR a high resolution sensor.  Canon is leaving money on the table here.

Also, a '7DC' crop rig with 4K seems a little silly as I'd 100% expect a 7D3 and 90D to get 4K anyway, right?

- A

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

Me too. Having been a 1DS MkIII user for years I'd love a true update. Indeed I'd happily sell my two 1DX MkII's for a single 1DXS.

Dual CFast slots only though please!
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »
For the second time in the last couple of months, we’re being told that a new DSLR series will be announced some time in 2018.
Neither source could name the series, only that it appeared as a “new DSLR series” in a presentation.
EOS Cinema DSLR - A cinema DSLR camera to replace the discontinued EOS-1D C. This has been talked about numerous times over the years.
EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.
EOS APS-C Cinema DSLR - A cheaper 4K cinema alternative that would “protect” the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras.

Some think that the EOS numbering has recently become stable ad predictable even for the M series.

100D/200D in Europe (SL1/2 in other Countries) and EOS M100: basic and small models
Therefore, I expect to see a M1 (full frame mirrorless) as ambitious as a 1D(x).
We'll see.
Yes, a camera with DPAF/EVF, something to compete with Sony A99

scrup

• EOS M5
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
2 hotshoes so 1 can be used with detachable EVF. Call it the 2D and you get one sale. LOL.

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »

We'll see.

Agreed.

Seems odd that many are hurtling toward MILCs (Nikon included) and Canon is just going to stand still with their DSLRs? Doesn't sound likely to me.

j-nord

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Derp
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
5DSR replacement that competes more directly with the D850? Move the 5DIV more to the middle of the road "all rounder" position where it belongs. Mirrorless or not IDK. In this case, not a 1 series body.
5DSR | 100-400ii | 16-35 f4 IS | 50 f1.8 STM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jnordgaard/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »

docsmith

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

We'll see.

Ummm...cough....a DSLR won't be "mirrorless"....almost by definition, it will have a mirror.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

I am on the 1Ds bandwagon.  And there is a chance they'd get my money.  I wouldn't need 14 fps, but if they get 10-12 fps, ~30 MP, plus the other 1D goodies....

I'd think about it. 

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »

Sorry, but Canon has a hard enough time paying attention to Nikon, let alone Sony;  Canon does not give two farts about the sales of a Sony SLT system.

Canon is not going to put out a FF mirrorless rig to compete with anything other than their own FF SLRs.

Also, regardless of who they are competing with, a A99-like 42 MP x 12 fps supercar of a mirrorless rig is also unlikely.  I fully expect Canon's first FF mirrorless to look 6D2-like and not A99-II like.  They will start from the bottom of the FF food chain, establish credibility with a (relatively underwhelmingly spec'd) basic body that performs well with well thought out controls/ergonomics/menus, and then walk up the line with higher-spec'd stuff over time.  Just like they did with EOS M.

This, of course, presumes that Canon's first FF mirrorless rig has detachable lenses at all, which may not happen.  A fixed-lens RX1 / Leica Q style rig might be their first attempt.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »