November 20, 2017, 09:47:40 PM

Author Topic: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]  (Read 25717 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
5DSR replacement that competes more directly with the D850? Move the 5DIV more to the middle of the road "all rounder" position where it belongs. Mirrorless or not IDK. In this case, not a 1 series body.

Canon doesn't segment it's markets like Nikon does.

Canon is good (6D line), all-arounder (5D line) and high detail (5DS line).
Nikon is good / better / best.

For Canon to re-jigger it's market segments to compete on Nikon's terms is a point to Nikon.  It would show weakness, lack of identity, desire to follow and not lead, etc.  Canon should 100% stick to its guns with its current non-gripped FF line.  (I still contend they need a 1DXs on the gripped side, though.)

So to to jam 4K + higher fps on a 5DS2 isn't what Canon's after.  They are more likely to maintain that rig's fps and reach for yet more detail, say a 75 MP x 5 fps rig, or 60 x 6, etc. (something like that).

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
I am on the 1Ds bandwagon.  And there is a chance they'd get my money.  I wouldn't need 14 fps, but if they get 10-12 fps, ~30 MP, plus the other 1D goodies....

I'd think about it.

I don't see a '1DXs' being a gripped 5D4.  I see it being a gripped (future) 5DS2 with highest possible resolution. 

- A

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
  • EOS-1D Xs - A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

This one would get my $$$$.

Me too. Having been a 1DS MkIII user for years I'd love a true update. Indeed I'd happily sell my two 1DX MkII's for a single 1DXS.

Dual CFast slots only though please!

I think you just explained why Canon might not do this.

unfocused

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

I guess I don't understand this. It seems to me the 1DxII is pretty much an exact replacement for the 1Ds III. Now, if you are talking about the 1D IV...

unfocused

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Since this is CR-1 it is fun to speculate about what this mystery camera might be.

7Dx – Integrated grip 7D with CFast slot, 16 fps, good high ISO performance, full touch-screen, built to 1D standards, basic editing in-camera and intuitive wifi interface.

8D – Lowest-priced full-frame camera on the market. Essentially, a re-packaged 6D retailing for $1,000-1,400 at introduction.

80c - 4K cinema 80D with 80D's flip screen and headphone jack, CFast slot, along with cinema quality feature set (I'm not a video person so don't know what all that would entail.)

Curious what others might suggest.

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
A high megapixel pro series body. Since the amalgamation of the 1D line back in 2009, we’ve always wondered if we’d get a camera like this to truly replace the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

I guess I don't understand this. It seems to me the 1DxII is pretty much an exact replacement for the 1Ds III. Now, if you are talking about the 1D IV...

It is and that is why I swapped mine out.

But customers expect ever more nowadays and 20MP is marginal for delivery for some work. I'm not sure what MP I do actually want, and I might be happier with a 1DX MkII at 20MP and a 5DSR MkII at 50-60MP rather than a 1DXS at 30-45MP.

I absolutely don't want 80-120MP and will not buy a camera with that sort of pixel count.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Me too. Having been a 1DS MkIII user for years I'd love a true update. Indeed I'd happily sell my two 1DX MkII's for a single 1DXS.

Dual CFast slots only though please!

I think you just explained why Canon might not do this.

Hence my other comment about not making this 1DXs a 'porridge is just right' gripped 5D4:

I don't see a '1DXs' being a gripped 5D4.  I see it being a gripped (future) 5DS2 with highest possible resolution.

If they do different jobs, one doesn't replace the other.  Heck, you might own one of each -- photojournos, sports, wildlife, etc. would go with the 1DX line and studio, landscape, product, fashion, etc. would go with the 1DXs. 

If Canon specializes what the rig is for, segmentation sorts itself out and same-tiered lines aren't vying for the same business. 

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
Since this is CR-1 it is fun to speculate about what this mystery camera might be.

7Dx – Integrated grip 7D with CFast slot, 16 fps, good high ISO performance, full touch-screen, built to 1D standards, basic editing in-camera and intuitive wifi interface.

8D – Lowest-priced full-frame camera on the market. Essentially, a re-packaged 6D retailing for $1,000-1,400 at introduction.

80c - 4K cinema 80D with 80D's flip screen and headphone jack, CFast slot, along with cinema quality feature set (I'm not a video person so don't know what all that would entail.)

Curious what others might suggest.

+1 on the 80C, though Canon might just call it the 90D.   ;)   In fairness, I am a idiot with video, so I see DPAF + tilty-flippy + touch and say "Let's make a movie!" like some knuckle-headed 80s dad with a camcorder.  (I equate enthusiast video tech with 'cinema' and that's clearly a miss.  Are real cine folks out there using video AF at all?)

7Dx is a fantasy 'crop 1DX2' for only the most demanding birder/wildlifers.  Canon would have to sell it for $3k to make a dime off of it, so I don't see it happening.

If there's a new segment in non-gripped FF...  I'd probably say a dedicated cinema 5D -- low low pixel count like an A7S II, 4K without much (if any) crop, tilty-flippy or slick monitor setup, eyepiece/loupe options, shoulder/gimbal options, etc.

- A

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
Seems odd that many are hurtling toward MILCs (Nikon included) and Canon is just going to stand still with their DSLRs? Doesn't sound likely to me.

Perhaps you have failed to notice that Canon is the #1 overall ILC manufacturer in global sales (for 15 years and counting), the #1 dSLR manufacturer (for that same 15+ years), and in the five years since the launch of the EOS M, Canon has gone from zero MILC sales to being the #2 MILC manufacturer globally.

How, exactly, does that constitute 'standing still'?
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

The3o5FlyGuy

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • tumblr
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
this is horrible news. The more series Canon announces, the more watered down the current cameras will get.... I thought the 6D mark II and the 5D mark IV were pretty weak compared to their competitions OLDER cameras, now this is a sign that they may get weaker in the future. My last hope is that the 7D mark III will be a solid camera!

Azathoth

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
The options:

1Dxs - the 250 megapixels monster as expensive as the 1dxmk2

7Dx: very high speed (16-18 fps), low mp, decent at high iso, same AF performace as the 1dxmk2 with integrated grip,but with AF that cover all the frame. Basically a faster option than the 1dxmk2 for someone who wants a good reach: wildlife,...

80Dc - an APS-C specially tailored for 4K video, a GH5 killer.
80Ds - a high resolution 80D (40 megapixels ???) with no low pass filter and optimized for DR at low iso. Max iso 800.  ;)

9D/8D - a budget ff, basically a 6D but with the old 12 mp 5D classic sensor.

a 888D - another entry level Rebel

My bet is on the 888D.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:05:10 PM by Azathoth »

CarlMillerPhoto

• EOS M5
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Not sure what need there is photography-wise for another offering...so I'd love to see more competitive video-centric DSLR from canon. A 5Dc or 80Dc or 1dC mark II. However, I'm not sure if this would agree with Canon's strategy though. They really don't want to offer great video & photo features in the same body. And a limited record time would be an immediate deal-breaker.

Which means those not able to afford the cinema line have to to choose between stills cameras with crappy video, or camcorders with fixed lenses that don't offer comparable flexibility to having an EF mount. This is where Sony and Panasonic are pulling ahead - their stills cameras really do offer amazing video + flexibility. I think Canon has an opportunity to continue divorcing stills cameras from video features, but while offering more compelling products at a lower price point. Something like the following:

C50 - EF mount and APS-C/Super-35 sensor. Small compact, maybe one ND stage (3 or 4 stop), 4k recording, no record time limits, XC15 audio attachment compatible, C-Log, no photo abilities. $2500 - $3000. Basically a B or C cam to C100s/C200s or a compelling alternative to a GH5 or A7s II....many, many people are buying those cams and never touching the photo features...

XC25 - Essentially a XC15, but with an APS-C sensor. Solves the low-light issues and allows smaller DOF. 24-200mm built-in variable aperture lens would be perfect. Very basic photo abilities. Also $2500 - $3000

Speaking as somebody who uses an XC10 as a C cam to a pair of C100s for weddings, I LOVE how easy it is to setup and use, and portability is fantastic. It's great not having to worry about throwing on a lens and the little space it takes up in my bag is paramount. But darker churches & receptions create problems for it and would quickly replace it with any of the possibilities above. A DSLR with a limited record time just isn't an option.

P.S. Maybe Canon's mirrorless strategy will marry great photo & video features? Hope so.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:03:51 PM by CarlMillerPhoto »
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
this is horrible news. The more series Canon announces, the more watered down the current cameras will get.... I thought the 6D mark II and the 5D mark IV were pretty weak compared to their competitions OLDER cameras, now this is a sign that they may get weaker in the future. My last hope is that the 7D mark III will be a solid camera!

[Quality / reliability] + [size and scale of offerings] go a very long ways to getting and maintaining business for Canon.

Consider:  My watered down 5D3 has let me down exactly zero times in five years of service.  That's not because I have low expectations of DR, FPS, MP count, etc. or that I'm blind to what others are offering.  It's because what I do value -- options, intuitiveness and things that reliably work well -- is what it delivers.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »

M_S

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
5DSR replacement that competes more directly with the D850? Move the 5DIV more to the middle of the road "all rounder" position where it belongs. Mirrorless or not IDK. In this case, not a 1 series body.

+1. I like the formfactor. Weight is a concern. I did some hiking to Panorama Ridge the other day with 24-70 II 2.8 and tripod. For me this setup was the limit. Every pound counts, as a tent and water plus other stuff had also be transported. A 1D body would be even heavier and I would not like that one for landscapes in the backcountry. So 5dsr II all the way with the expected improvements in ISO and dynamic range. No more megapixel. The 24-70 II has already its weaknesses in the corners and to worsen this even further would not be a good thing.

Romain

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »
2018 announcement... (CR3).. 2019: 5DV, 90D and 6D3? :-X
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:16:43 PM by Romain »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »