December 11, 2017, 08:17:44 PM

Author Topic: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]  (Read 29404 times)

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
Re: New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »
More choices are always better.
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:21 AM »
no. Not generally. And not specifically in this case. "More Pseudo-choice", rather. "More or less more of the same". 

If "more choice" then I would like to be able to chose between Canon mirrorslappers and Canon mirrorless cameras not only with APS-C sensor, but also with FF sensor. :-)

Or more choice in terms of "sensor / AF /electronics modules" to upgrade existing camera bodies in a much more economical and ecological way than at current ... "throw away, buy a new one".

Anyways, there is only 1 camera series SORELY MISSING at Canon: an excellent lineup of mirrorless FF cameras plus new native mount lenses.

bsbeamer

• EOS M5
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »
Does a medium format Canon DSLR make sense here? We have seen other manufacturers like Fuji and Pentax targeting this already. A very high megapixel full-frame sensor has its disadvantages (e.g. diffraction, noise ceiling, etc.) and limited by the resolving power of the lens used.
In its pro line, Canon has 1D for sports, wild-life and journalism; and then 5D for events and all-rounder use. Currently there is no dedicated camera in Canon arsenal for studio work (portraiture, product, still life and even still macro and architecture photography). 5DSr is currently designated to be used in this segment. I guess Canon can make a medium-format DSLR which can have insanely high mega-pixels targeting the pro studio photographers. It can be marketed as a very high mega-pixels medium format camera. Price-wise it can be insanely expensive and will bring higher profit margin compared to 5DSr. It may have a few high resolution native lenses which will be insanely expensive, too. Nevertheless, there will be photographers who may want it, buy it and make their living with it.   

I'd love an AFFORDABLE medium format camera system.  Something that is less expensive than a new car would be a starting point... Always thought this was an area Sigma should really just jump into, but they seem more focused on the Quattro and Foveon sensor cameras that are APS-H and APS-C.  True medium format camera systems usually out of the price range for most that want to get into it.  Personally, would love to shoot some video projects on medium format, but client budgets and available technology will not support it right now.

Mikehit

« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
no. Not generally. And not specifically in this case. "More Pseudo-choice", rather. "More or less more of the same". 

If "more choice" then I would like to be able to chose between Canon mirrorslappers and Canon mirrorless cameras not only with APS-C sensor, but also with FF sensor. :-)

Or more choice in terms of "sensor / AF /electronics modules" to upgrade existing camera bodies in a much more economical and ecological way than at current ... "throw away, buy a new one".

Anyways, there is only 1 camera series SORELY MISSING at Canon: an excellent lineup of mirrorless FF cameras plus new native mount lenses.

There is more choice. Just because it does not include the item you want does not alter the fact.
"Look at the choice of all the biscuits they have "
"having 80 different sorts of biscuit is not choice because they don't have the gecko flavoured garibaldis that I have been looking for"

You do have a choice of mirrorless - it is called Sony and it is called Olympus. Both of which you have. So where is the problem?

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »

If that is the only option that will satisfy you, I think you can look forward to many more years of trolling this site, because I don't see Canon adding another lens mount.

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
For my wish list:

Curved sensor camera .
8D - lower tier,  refresh of the 6D.
6d.2a, astro 6D.2
5Dr,  low resolution,  high ISO performance 5D.

A fixed curve sensor would require all new lenses. Does the technology to produce variable-curve sensors (which could possibly support existing lenses) exist?
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

scottburgess

• EOS M5
  • Canonical Canon
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
Some of the suggestions are patently ludicrous, as there is no market for half the cameras mentioned.  Three ideas so far make sense to me.  FF mirrorless and a high Mp pro camera are marketable and have been mentioned.  But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera, basically an 80D with a larger body (call it an "8D" if you like).  This could sell well and continues Canon's trend of pushing FF down the line from the top.  A 2018 release would match the expected timing of this as seen on the Canon EOS timeline (look at when the 5D and 6D appear).  A 24 Mp FF could have great latitude and color for an amateur camera, and this would push competitors to release similar cameras.  Canon has consistently signaled their support for FF sensors.

Having said that, I don't expect a MF option from Canon in the near future as the economics probably don't make sense yet.  Chip cost grows as the cube of the die area, and lens cost appears to have a super-quadratic relationship to mount diameter.  With limited customers, it is a niche market that may not justify the infrastructure investment until the mid-2020s.  What I would love to see is a Canon 10cm x 10cm sensor LF system with ~5 micron pitch, but the sensor alone I currently guesstimate at ~$15k even at 28nm.  In several years that might become cost competitive with current scanner backs, but what will those cost then?  And who would buy it? 

::sighs, and dreams of giant landscape prints::

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »

Mikehit

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera, basically an 80D with a larger body (call it an "8D" if you like).  This could sell well and continues Canon's trend of pushing FF down the line from the top.

Wait, what? The 6D Mk II is literally that, a full-frame 80D.  (Except with less base-ISO DR  ::)) A lower-tier FF would have to have a Rebel-like feature set and build. I'm pretty sure there's no market for that sort of a body.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera, basically an 80D with a larger body (call it an "8D" if you like).  This could sell well and continues Canon's trend of pushing FF down the line from the top.

Wait, what? The 6D Mk II is literally that, a full-frame 80D.  (Except with less base-ISO DR  ::)) A lower-tier FF would have to have a Rebel-like feature set and build. I'm pretty sure there's no marked for that sort of a body.

Or, and I wince as I do this -- some premium-priced bougie/style-oriented showpiece of a rig like the Nikon Df?

Remember these ads?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p5k-ade0Hg&feature=youtu.be&t=27s

Why do this?  If current sales price is any reflection on enduring demand (or how companies never discount certain products), consider that the Df is still purring at $2750 at B&H some three years after it was released.

For perspective:  similar Ferrari-like exotics like the RX1R II is sitting at $2750 and Leica Q is still at it's original $4250, both at about 2 years of age today.

Perhaps the new SLR is for the one-percenters that don't spend much time researching gear enough to know when something is behind the curve?

- A

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
Anyone remember this rumour?

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32501.msg662460#msg662460

:-X
Yes he knows everything because it has been shown to him, there is never any proof, but we are told that the proof is coming soon..... but it never is......

I regard his posts as humour.... one certainly can't take it serious.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
FWIW Canon has its cine line, which is very much aimed at professionals, competing with traditional cinema camera systems like Arri.  .  I don't see how a medium format still camera system is any different.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
I noted the term DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex), which has a mirror.

A mirrorless camera is NOT a DSLR.

So, we could have a Hybrid DSLR as has been patented a few times.  That might be seen as a stepping stone, and would have a mirror as well as the ability to raise it and have the viewfinder become a EVF.  There were different ways to do that, but it basically allowed a person to use the viewfinder for both PDAF and DPAF.

I think that the time for a hybrid has passed, and a FF mirrorless is due, but if the presentation said DSLR, either its wrong, or its still going to have a reflex mirror.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »
I think that the time for a hybrid has passed, and a FF mirrorless is due

Likely, but not certainly.

If Canon goes the fairly predictable 'keep it small' route and altogether remove the thickness the mirror used to occupy, then yes, a hybrid doesn't make much sense.

But if Canon goes with the 'keep it seamless' route and goes with a full EF mount mirrorless offering, there could be a transition generation or two of hybrid setups to get SLR users accustomed to mirrorless before the mirror is altogether taken away someday.

- A

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »
I'm not sure if the balance scale illustration is supposed to include this "weight" in favor of an EF mount, but I think this would definitely help tilt the balance:

EF Mount -- Investment in current lenses is not impacted. Cost of entrance is camera body only.

New Mount -- Prince of entrance into the mirrorless world goes up by $600-$6000+ depending on how many lenses the buyer wants to replace.

End result -- every Canon DSLR owner is suddenly cut loose to shop on the open market with zero financial incentive to stick with Canon. Canon must completely rely on brand loyalty to retain customers. Their engineers, designers, etc. would argue that the quality of the camera would retain those customers. The people selling the cameras and paying the bills would argue that it's an unnecessary risk to take in a shrinking market.

I think the people paying the bills and selling the cameras would win out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »