October 17, 2017, 05:05:07 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom 7 rumor  (Read 17231 times)

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Lightroom 7 rumor
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
My business is registered in Florida.

As for C1P, I have heard so many good things about it, but every single time I have seen a demo it crashes. When you ask the power users about the crashes they just shrug and say 'yeh it crashes', I don't get that!

But the two programs are so different they suit, or not, users with different styles. If you are one that suits the C1P workflow it seems to have a lot of fans.

Hmm well that's kind of nice to know... thank Private.    It certainly corresponds to my style better, but to hear it crashes puts a chill in my bones.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
I use currently the 5.7 and I didnt switch to the subscription model and I will never switch to it.
If there is no LR7 as an update, I stay with 5.7. I don't plan to buy a new camera, where I might be forced to do something, maybe in 3 years...

Convert to DNG and everything is fine. I use LR 5.7 and Photoshop CS5. Conversion is done with the Adobe DNG-Converter. Of course, the ARC of CS5 does not handle the RAW-Files of new Cameras, but this is no Problem. After DNG-Conversion there is no difference to my "old" *.CR2-Files.

And this is one of the reasons I get so pissed at people getting mad at Adobe for what they do.

What other company makes and fully supports an entirely free program who's main use is enabling users to not upgrade their software?

While I happen to be on the other side of the fence from you, that's a very fair point.

Chaitanya

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:08 PM »
THey'd better work on performance.  I had my month trial of C1P, and it is lickety split on my old machine when compared to LR.  I'm very seriously on the fence in regards to C1P. It could save me the cost of a new laptop for a few more years yet.
Same feeling, I went from Lr4 to 6 and the performance and stability were terrible. After trying On1, I must say the LR felt slow like a snail. As long as the LR7 is step forward in terms of performance I don't mind upgrading from LR6.

Lee Jay

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what all the griping about Lightroom as a subscription service is.  $120 a year for 2 copies of LR + PS is a great (or at least very fair) price, and LR does get meaningful updates here and there. 

I'll tell you what - I don't use PS - at all.  It's just not necessary for basically anything outside of multi-image manual compositing, which I do something like 1 in 20,000 images.  And PS is such a pain to use now that it's all for graphic artists that I actually prefer to use Elements for that instead.  And $120 a year for just LR is a ripoff compared to an $89 upgrade every 2 years or so.

RGF

• How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 11:39:56 PM »
I have two big issues with LR and they are:
1. Slow import.  If I have a lot of pictures to import I use Photo Mechanic which is wonderful.  Many pros use this software because of the import speed and ability to add tags that comply with many publisher standards
2.  Lack of improvements that are in PS that many photographers are forced to use both LR and PS. We are paying for both so the lack of porting these functions into LR is not a revenue issue for Adobe.

If the post is right about the next version of LR, the update will do little for me and to me it shows that Adobe is not close to their LR customer base.  They could solve one of these issues rather easily by buying photo mechanic and integrating it into LR and PS.
Bp

Let me add a third issue. 

Auto stacking sucks.  It is based upon the difference in start time between 2 images - does not take into account the exposure time of the 1st image.

There needs be a smart stacking option.

HDR smart stacking
- Looks at the exposure settings, only change in the shutter speed, not both shutter speed and f stop.
- need to be taken in rapid succession (look at the end of 1 exposure and start of the next)
- ideally tries a quick alignment to confirm images should be stacked
- tracks the exposure of all the images in the stack to make sure HDR exposure series should not be repeated

Panoramic smart stacking
- looks at the exposure settings,  no change in shutter speed or f-stop
- needs to be taken in rapid successive (look at the end of 1 exposure and start of the next)

Just some thought starters

CanonCams

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
HDR smart stacking
- Looks at the exposure settings, only change in the shutter speed, not both shutter speed and f stop.
- need to be taken in rapid succession (look at the end of 1 exposure and start of the next)
- tracks the exposure of all the images in the stack to make sure HDR exposure series should not be repeated

Do any programs do that?

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 12:14:31 AM »
If I lease that $700 lens/software/capital expense then my monthly payment is 100% deductible that year, I don't have to find the $700 and I don't have to effectively loan myself anything.

Can you seriously not deduct a $700 purchase? I don't have to amortize anything below $1,000 here.  I guess our tax laws in Quebec are pretty reasonable after all...

No. If it is a capital purchase, even if it is a $1, it takes between three and ten years depending on it's classification to amortize.

That makes me want to cry... curious where you're from?

My business is registered in Florida.

As for C1P, I have heard so many good things about it, but every single time I have seen a demo it crashes. When you ask the power users about the crashes they just shrug and say 'yeh it crashes', I don't get that!

But the two programs are so different they suit, or not, users with different styles. If you are one that suits the C1P workflow it seems to have a lot of fans.

Do you have a web site?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 12:14:31 AM »

Berowne

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 01:50:20 AM »
I use currently the 5.7 and I didnt switch to the subscription model and I will never switch to it.
If there is no LR7 as an update, I stay with 5.7. I don't plan to buy a new camera, where I might be forced to do something, maybe in 3 years...

Convert to DNG and everything is fine. I use LR 5.7 and Photoshop CS5. Conversion is done with the Adobe DNG-Converter. Of course, the ARC of CS5 does not handle the RAW-Files of new Cameras, but this is no Problem. After DNG-Conversion there is no difference to my "old" *.CR2-Files.

And this is one of the reasons I get so pissed at people getting mad at Adobe for what they do.

What other company makes and fully supports an entirely free program who's main use is enabling users to not upgrade their software?

DNG is an open standard, I'm sure the camera manufacturers would do so if Adobe didn't.  Anyway, it was a small piece of sugar to give customers time to make transitions to new software versions.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were to discontinue it in the next year.  I'm not counting on it to be available forever.  Even so, I don't relish the thought of doubling my storage needs for CR2 + RAW.

There is no Need for doubling. Just delete the CR2-Files after conversion. :-)
70D - EF-S 10-18 STM; EF-S 18-55 STM; EF-S 60/2.8.
6D - EF 28/2.8; EF 35/2 IS; EF 50/1.8 STM; EF 85/1.8; EF 200/2.8L II USM; EF 24-105/3.5-5.6 IS STM.

SteveM

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 05:06:37 AM »
I wouldn't delete the Cr2 files as you never know what the future holds....put them on an external if necessary.
I spoke to capture one some months ago and they tell me that noise and color/tonal issues could (might or might not) be introduced with dng files when using Capture One software, maybe this could apply to other software from other manufacturers?
Using CS6, my 5D MklV isn't supported so I shoot the CR2 and a small jpeg for viewing purposes only in Adobe. I'll then process the CR2 in Capture One and export to Photoshop if necessary. This is getting less and less necessary as the Raw converters do a lot. Retouching is one obvious exception.
I deleted some CR2 files after converting to dng several years ago and I seriously regret doing that now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:38:25 AM by SteveM »

Lee Jay

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 06:15:55 AM »
I wouldn't delete the Cr2 files as you never know what the future holds....put them on an external if necessary.
I spoke to capture one some months ago and they tell me that noise and color/tonal issues could be introduced with dng files.

They're liars.  The data is not changed when converting raw to dng unless you choose to go to lossy dng.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »
THey'd better work on performance.  I had my month trial of C1P, and it is lickety split on my old machine when compared to LR.  I'm very seriously on the fence in regards to C1P. It could save me the cost of a new laptop for a few more years yet.
Same feeling, I went from Lr4 to 6 and the performance and stability were terrible. After trying On1, I must say the LR felt slow like a snail. As long as the LR7 is step forward in terms of performance I don't mind upgrading from LR6.

Did you get any updates to 6? When I initially got the new 6, it crashed no less than every fifteen minutes, and corrupted half the images on a memory card.  After an update a month or so after release, it got a lot better.  It remains my only application that ever crashes, but that's not very often.  I feel like it wants to crash, but is far too slow to ever get around to it. ;D

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
They're liars.  The data is not changed when converting raw to dng unless you choose to go to lossy dng.

Sorry, you're wrong. Data are changed from the original RAW format to DNG own internal RAW format. How much changes depends on the algorithm used for a given RAW format. Some very specific RAW data not supported by DNG may be lost. Unless the source code for the processing is published, you have no way to know what changes, and you need to trust Adobe. You can embed the original RAW inside the DNG, but it means much larger files.

DNG is an "open" format, but it is patented by Adobe, and it's not a standard managed by an independent body (i.e. ISO), even if Adobe attempted to have it accepted. Till now, anyway, the format is fully controlled by Adobe alone.

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
I spoke to capture one some months ago and they tell me that noise and color/tonal issues could be introduced with dng files.

My (vague) memory is that pixel data doesn't change, but metadata does, which could include color balance.  Don't take this as settled truth.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
CR2 file vs DNG
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
I am not so confident that the results after conversion are the same, depending on the starting point.

I am of the opinion that a CR2 file processed in DPP ends up better than starting with the same CR2 file in Lightroom. Unfortunately, Lightroom can't apply the DPP edits, so the DPP edited file must be saved as a TIFF, which Lightroom can see. This approach is not practical for all images though. Nor are "RAW to DNG" or "TIFF to DNG" files the same.

Maybe, for those that have never used DPP and only work in Lightroom, the resulting DNG conversion would be "the same".

Far as I know, Canon does not license their RAW file details to Adobe.

A few others over at DPReview have experimented with the DNG output available from the Sigma sd camera, and it was not the same as processing the X3F file (Sigma RAW) within Sigma Photo Pro- the X3F file provided better results. This may be an extreme example, considering that Adobe does not support some X3F file formats at all, but it does show that there is a difference.

Given Canon's presence in the camera market, I do not see a point where being able to convert a CR2 file would ever be a concern. Even if the latest version of DPP doesn't read the files from a 4.2mp 1D, there is an earlier version of DPP out there- either on Canon's site or elsewhere.

I guess my point is that I do not see any advantage to converting CR2 files to DNG, short of using a legacy Adobe program that doesn't support a new camera model. 

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
I don't mind the subscription model as such but it just shows what happens to innovation when it exists. There has been little or no significant improvement in Lightroom or Photoshop in 2 years. Photoshop has a terrible user interface and simple things are overly complex. They should at this stage be one unified pieces of software. Instead they are a mix of each other. Lightroom is very slow for what it does. Both are very bloated pieces of software. There is no business incentive to improve it as it's a cash cow. They've probably moved their developers to other software. Either that or they've run out of ideas on how to improve them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »