April 20, 2014, 04:02:08 PM

Author Topic: Camera? Card? Solar Flare?  (Read 1279 times)

markIVantony

Camera? Card? Solar Flare?
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
Has anyone ran into this hiccup with their 1D Mark IV?  I was shooting a basketball game today, and this happened to only one out of 890 photos (~photo 390).  It's also never happened in the history of my camera or card.

I'm wondering if it was a hiccup in the camera itself, or perhaps the CF card (Transcend 400x 64 GB).  I have no way of knowing unless it happens again with a different CF card, or unless someone else has experience.  Obviously my concern is forthcoming equipment failure, but if it was a random "solar flare" initiated event, I won't worry.

canon rumors FORUM

Camera? Card? Solar Flare?
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »

Waterdonkey

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Camera? Card? Solar Flare?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
My 7D did something somewhat similar...  But it looked more like some one sprinkled rock salt on the pict, big and specific noise allover the pict.  I found that the batteries had been run down to the very end. I had left them in my camera for awhile so they were weak to begin with, and then I finished them off with a bunch of quick shutter speed bursts.
So could it have been batteries? Just a thought :)

markIVantony

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »

Low battery is a very good thought.  I was shooting with a full charge, and I just verified that it's still full.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
If you get a few corrupted memory locations on a card, one image might be affected.  It won't happen again until your camera writes to the same memory location. 

Do a erase and then total reformat on your computer.  Reformatting in the camera does not detect the bad memory block, but a complete erase writing all zeros to every location on the card will detect bad blocks and mark them as bad so they are mapped out.

I use Image Rescue 4 to erase a card.  It takes a while, since you are writing to every memory location, and verifying it.  Then do a complete format.

Of course, if your memory card is dying, then more bad memory blocks will develop in the future, and you will need to replace it.

markIVantony

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure it was a bad spot on the card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »