December 15, 2017, 08:57:00 PM

Author Topic: Further Confirmation of the PowerShot G1 X Mark III  (Read 6089 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Further Confirmation of the PowerShot G1 X Mark III
« on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »
We’ve been eagerly awaiting detailed specification confirmation for the PowerShot G1 X Mark III, which is scheduled to be announced in mid October.

We’ve been told to think of the camera as an EOS M5 with a fixed lens. That should tell us it will be equipped with the 24mp APS-C DPAF sensor as well as utilizing the DIGIC 7 processor. We’ve been told previously that the lens will be a 24-120mm 35mm equivalent, though we don’t know the speed of the lens at this time. I think you should be able to piece together what the rest of the specifications for the camera will be.

The previous iterations of the PowerShot G1 X did not have EVF’s, but I think it’s likely the new camera will if it’s modelled after the EOS M5, though we have not yet confirmed that bit of information.

We’ll update as soon as we receive more specifications.

Just a reminder that we’ve been told that this will be the only PowerShot G series camera announced for the remainder of the year. We’ll likely see more ahead of CES in January of 2018.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Further Confirmation of the PowerShot G1 X Mark III
« on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »

bludragon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: Further Confirmation of the PowerShot G1 X Mark III
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
Getting closer :-)
I guess we know that this is coming [CR3], but that the specs are still quite open to interpretation [CR1]...

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-specifications-cr1/

"EOS M5" with a fixed lens is pretty open to interpretation, unless you got more details with that... DIGIC 7 + 24mp APS-C DPAF sensor seem quite a likely combination at this point, and that alone could be enough to fit the description.

Adding an EVF, and having a 24-120 equivalent lens covering the full sensor seems like it would add quite a bit to the overall size of the camera, which seems unlikely to me.  Possibly the EVF is more of a wish item?  The 24-120 could come with a crop of the APS-C sensor, or otherwise a redesign with a smaller aperture.

gmon750

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting this camera.  I'm looking for a worthy successor to my trusty Powershot S100 that I use for casual underwater photography when I can't haul my 5DM3 and its housing. 

If this new G1 does indeed come with an APS-C sensor, it's as good as sold for me!

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting this camera.  I'm looking for a worthy successor to my trusty Powershot S100 that I use for casual underwater photography when I can't haul my 5DM3 and its housing. 

If this new G1 does indeed come with an APS-C sensor, it's as good as sold for me!

And the lens? Or is that not important to you? How about a 15-62mm f/3.1-4.8 zoom?  ;D ;D ;D

gmon750

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:06:52 AM »

And the lens? Or is that not important to you? How about a 15-62mm f/3.1-4.8 zoom?  ;D ;D ;D

It's a Powershot camera and my expectations are in line given that I'm looking for an upgrade to my S100.  My S100 has a 24-120mm lens and I was quite happy with it.  If the G1 has that same range along with an APS-C sensor, with the same general size, then it's everything I could want.

Lets get real for a moment.  If I want 15mm-62mm lens, I'll use my 5DM3 with my 8-15 fisheye lens.  Powershot cameras are great to throw in a bag with a small underwater housing.  I'm not looking for some kind of grand lens scheme.

Proscribo

• EOS M5
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:24:59 AM »

It's a Powershot camera and my expectations are in line given that I'm looking for an upgrade to my S100.  My S100 has a 24-120mm lens and I was quite happy with it.  If the G1 has that same range along with an APS-C sensor, with the same general size, then it's everything I could want.

Lets get real for a moment.  If I want 15mm-62mm lens, I'll use my 5DM3 with my 8-15 fisheye lens.  Powershot cameras are great to throw in a bag with a small underwater housing.  I'm not looking for some kind of grand lens scheme.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be way bigger than a S100, mainly the depth.

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 02:43:11 AM »
it will weight probably three times what S100 weights. If you want replacement for S100 look G9 X Mark II and G7 Mark II.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#534,661,140,697,ha,t

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 02:43:11 AM »

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 04:48:42 AM »

I feel I should apologise, I was being a bit mean by repeating a discussion that came up on a recent thread without its original context. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33480.30 [End of page 3 and onto page 4]

At the risk of labouring the point:

"There is no difference between a fixed lens camera with a 1" sensor with a 8.8-36.8mm f/1.8-2.8 zoom (e.g. the G5X) and one with an (Canon) APS-C sensor with a 15-62mm f/3.1-4.8 zoom or a full frame fixed lens camera with a 24-100mm f/4.9-7.6 zoom. They will all have exactly the same field-of-view range, capture exactly the same amount of light and have exactly the same depth of field control. They will also probably be exactly the same size. The only advantage would be if the 1" sensor and lens combo was cheaper than the APS-C or full-frame versions."

If the new G1Xiii has an APS-C sensor with a 15-62mm f/3.1-4.8 zoom, there is not really any point waiting for it, as you could buy the G5X or G7Xii now and basically have the same camera (4MP less resolution, but I doubt anyone would notice) -probably a lot cheaper too.

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 05:45:41 AM »
24-120 FOV equivalent would be 15-75mm lens on Canon APS-C sensor (crop 1.6x) ... right? Unlikely for it to be f/3.1-4.8 though. Even starting at f/3.5 and quickly degrading to f/6.3 for the longer half of the focal range, it will be a challenge to fit such a lens into an G1X sized body I think. More so, if it also comes with an EVF ... which would be my expectation when reading "think of EOS M5".

Overall APS-C sensor with DPAF + (hopefully) decent AF performance + 24-120 eq. FOV zoom - sounds like a reasonable package. Possibly the only chance for a camera of this type to succeed: "coat-pocketable all-in-one with clearly better IQ than iPhone 8+ and 5x zoom ... at a premium price".   

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:12:40 AM by AvTvM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 05:48:28 AM »
The only advantage would be if the 1" sensor and lens combo was cheaper than the APS-C or full-frame versions.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, the main advantage of APS-C over a smaller sensor is the larger size of the individual sensor pixels (assuming equivalent megapixels) meaning greater sensitivity and less noise.

The main DISADVANTAGE is that a f/3.1-4.8 zoom isn't as marketable as a f/1.8-2.8 zoom even if they are, as you say, identical.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Proscribo

• EOS M5
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 06:01:08 AM »
The only advantage would be if the 1" sensor and lens combo was cheaper than the APS-C or full-frame versions.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, the main advantage of APS-C over a smaller sensor is the larger size of the individual sensor pixels (assuming equivalent megapixels) meaning greater sensitivity and less noise.

The main DISADVANTAGE is that a f/3.1-4.8 zoom isn't as marketable as a f/1.8-2.8 zoom even if they are, as you say, identical.
Doesn't matter, the amount of light is still the same.

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 06:18:06 AM »
24-120 FOV equivalent would be 15-75mm lens on Canon APS-C sensor (crop 1.6x) ... right?

Even starting at f/3.5 and quickly degrading to f/6.3 for the longer half of the focal range, it will be a challenge to fit such a lens into an G1X sized body I think. More so, if it also comes with an EVF ... which would be my expectation when reading "think of EOS M5".

Overall APS-C sensor with DPAF + (hopefully) decent AF performance + 24-120 eq. FOV zoom - sounds like a good package or rather like about the only chance for a camera of this type to succeed. "Coat-pocketable all-in-one with clearly better IQ than iPhone 8+ and 4x zoom ... at a premium price".

You are correct, too much jumping backwards and forwards between the 1.5" sensor on the G1 Xii and APS-C has got me confused!

The point is that you have to be careful about the speed of the lens, otherwise you end up paying a premium price for a camera that has the same image quality potential as a much cheaper camera. Remember that, unlike with an EOS-M5, you cannot ever change the lens (obviously), so you must pay careful consideration to the lens it has and not get dazzled by the sensor specification alone.

Whilst a slow 'normal zoom' might be enough for you 90% of the time, an interchangeable lens camera gives you the option to switch to a faster lens when you need to (assuming that there is one available for the system and that you've bothered to carry it!).

Rather than list combinations of equivalent lens-sensor pairings here, I suggest that anyone considering buying a fixed lens camera checks out the Cambridge in Colour website's calculator before making their final decision.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

docsmith

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »
If the new G1Xiii has an APS-C sensor with a 15-62mm f/3.1-4.8 zoom, there is not really any point waiting for it, as you could buy the G5X or G7Xii now and basically have the same camera (4MP less resolution, but I doubt anyone would notice) -probably a lot cheaper too.

Sorry.  I own the G7X II and the M3, ballparkish comparable sensor to what is rumored to be going into the G1X III.  I notice the IQ difference.

Don't get me wrong, the IQ from the G7X II sensor is impressive, but the output from the M3 sensor is better.  This is more pronounced at high ISO, but there circumstances where it true at low ISO as well.  That is practical experience, if nothing else, see (using G7x as a stand in for the G7x II, but all accounts I have heard, same sensor):

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-M3-versus-Canon-PowerShot-G7-X___1019_978

I actually would consider the rumor G1X as more comparable to M series, not the G7X II (which I own for its size)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »
The point is that you have to be careful about the speed of the lens, otherwise you end up paying a premium price for a camera that has the same image quality potential as a much cheaper camera. Remember that, unlike with an EOS-M5, you cannot ever change the lens (obviously), so you must pay careful consideration to the lens it has and not get dazzled by the sensor specification alone.

Whilst a slow 'normal zoom' might be enough for you 90% of the time, an interchangeable lens camera gives you the option to switch to a faster lens when you need to (assuming that there is one available for the system and that you've bothered to carry it!).

agree 100%. Cameras without lens mount generally have very little appeal for me. I'd always take an EOS M over any Powershot.

My earlier statement was more along the lines: IF Canon wants to sell G1X Mk. III at (undoubtedly) "premium price" in any numbers ... then the rumored specs are the only ticket to do so. Plus, I always wondered why they used the 1.5" sensor - should have been APS-C all along. After all, Sony manages to put an FF sensor plus EVF into a package as small as the RX1R II ...   
http://j.mp/2xGayeh

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

Doesn't matter, the amount of light is still the same.

That's all good in theory, but in practice no it's not. For example, there are gaps between the pixel sensors where the transistors live, etc. So on larger sensors you're maximising the space for actual sensor as opposed to overheads. THe smaller your pixel pitch, the more light you lose 'through the gaps'. 
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »