December 16, 2017, 06:09:12 AM

Author Topic: More Than One Active Full Frame Mirrorless Project at Canon? [CR1]  (Read 36663 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
We received some interesting information about Canon’s full frame mirrorless project, or should we say projects?

We’re told that there are three active full frame mirrorless cameras currently in different stages of development and that we should be seeing at least one come to fruition before the end of 2018. Photokina in September of 2018 would make the most sense for at least one of the following cameras.

The first project is a full frame mirrorless camera with a native EF mount. This is something we have said has to happen for Canon to enter the world of full frame mirrorless cameras. They cannot abandon the hundred million+ EF lenses out there.

The second project, and this is the first we’ve heard of it, is a smaller full frame mirrorless camera with a new mount. We weren’t told if it’s a modified EF-M mount or something else. I don’t think this is too far fetched, as Canon hasn’t seemed all that interested in developing a wide range of EF-M lenses for APS-C mirrorless cameras.

The third project is a fixed lens full frame camera that is in very early stages of development and won’t be coming in 2018, if at all.

All of this is believable and that’s why we’re posting it. For the moment, please remember this is a [CR1] post and to treat it accordingly.

More to come…

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: More Than One Active Full Frame Mirrorless Project at Canon? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
Its very believable to me, Canon is wanting to get a enthusiast level mirrorless camera right the first time.  As far as a fixed FF, I'd speculate that a curved sensor might also be on trial, it would certainly allow for size and weight reduction.

I'd vote for a EF lens mount with my pocketbook.

WeekendWarrior

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
Canon just running behind as usual.

deadwrong

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
 ;D say 2019..........Sony will have released like 10 full frame models by then.....

CAnon soooo behind, ugh.

bokehmon22

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Canon just running behind as usual.

I don't mind. I rather Canon get it right for professional use than having their user be guinea pigs on paid assignments.

The first two options intrigue me: native EF lens, and new mount. If the new mount have adapter with good EF compatibility I don't mind. When the Sony A7III and new Canon mirrorless camera release next year, consumers will have alot of choices on FF mirrorless.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
;D say 2019..........Sony will have released like 10 full frame models by then.....

CAnon soooo behind, ugh.

Yes, Sony will have released 10 models by then, and they will still all be crap.  What does that tell you?  :(

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »

CAnon soooo behind, ugh.

Glad to see your avatar remains 100% accurate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »

james75

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »
As much as it would be nice to see canon releasing something this year, it's good to know another full frame option is coming within a year. I don't really care if it's a mirrorless or whatever , just as long as it'll fit somewhere nicely between a 6d2 and a 5d4. And please don't hold back on giving us the best sensor you can create . I remember reading the 6d2 was getting its own dedicated sensor and how excited I was only to find out later it was no better than the original.

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »
Well, if it's EF mount and DSLR sized it better be pretty damn impressive in other ways if they have any chance of selling.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Feels like one of us wrote this rumor.  ::)

All three of these things were predicted by the forum to some extent.  I've been beating the 'don't be surprised if the first go in FF mirrorless is a fixed lens rig' drums, while the 'they might build both mounts' approach is the easiest way to appease everyone while not having people freak out with what doesn't get launched on day one. 

(The above paragraph is not a victory lap by any stretch, as this proposed rumor feels like Canon testing all waters and trying to please everyone -- something they never do right out of the gate.  So again, see the first line of my post, and understand that I am taking this rumor very lightly.)

But can we please stop equating 'mirrorless with a (full) native EF mount' to being the only way to not 'abandon the hundred million+ EF lenses' out there?  A well made adaptor doesn't leave 100 million lenses behind. 

There are drawbacks to adaptors, certainly -- questions of robustness, what happens when you accidentally leave it at home, etc. -- but it's not like a skinny mount + Canon made EF adaptor will ruin AF performance or lens IQ.  It would be (effectively) a modular EF mount, not some 3rd party metabones nonsense.

- A
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:16:38 PM by ahsanford »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
Well, if it's EF mount and DSLR sized it better be pretty damn impressive in other ways if they have any chance of selling.

This sounds impressive to me:

• Mirror slap = RIP
  • Comfortably enjoy mirrorless with high-end pro glass -- with a lovely chunky grip.
  • Handles identically to the 5D4 or 6D2 on your other shoulder.
  • Has a comically wide AF point spread since you can poll the majority of the sensor
  • Amplifies light in dark rooms, which pairs well with MF tools for instances when the light is too low to AF
  • Breathes new life into Zeiss or (dubiously AF'd) Sigma Art lenses -- gives Canonites an on-demand manual focusing screen for under $6k

Trust me, that will sell just fine, just not to mirrorless enthusiast spec-sheet adoring fanboys.   It will sell well to current Canon photographers.

- A

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »
I'd never buy a Canon FF mirrorless that requires an adaptor for EF lenses.
canonrumors.com

leadin2

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
By reading the title, I thought to myself are they the M7, M7r and M7s. Glad I was wrong.

Hope the Canon fixed lens is 35mm with f/2 or larger, I can then strike off my item in the wish list thread. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »

snappy604

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Might explain why the 6d mkii seemed like a mediocre release. Resources might have been pulled elsewhere.

Before I get jumped on, its not that bad, but a bit dated/underwhelming from what I keep seeing in comments and reviews. Just not enough to get me to jump from my 80d.. .still want full frame though!

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
I'd never buy a Canon FF mirrorless that requires an adaptor for EF lenses.

Sure, and that's a fair opinion, but that is not remotely what you said in the opening. 

Implying that an adaptor is the equivalent of leaving EF behind is (IMHO) irresponsible without substantiation.  It could be a pain, sure, but EF will still work!

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »